The help section

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Fatal Star, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

In DCUO is pretty much useless. In recent games I've been playing, their "help" section gives basic functions and "how to"s for each area or aspect of the game so if something confuses you or you need to learn how to do something, you can just look it up in game. I know DCUO is it's own game and shouldn't copy from others, blah blah blah, but this wouldn't be a bad thing to pick up at all and very beneficial for new players.
    • Like x 7
  2. Arathian Level 30

I've lost count of how many friends I have recommended DCUO to, but they didn't make it past the third hour due to how literally nothing is explained by the game, outside of "Press button to attack"

Like you said, DCUO is its own game, but Final Fantasy XIV's Novice Network system is an incredibly genius addition and the perfect fix for that kind of issue. I wouldn't mind a similar system in DCUO
    • Like x 4
  3. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Marvel heroes omega has a ingame guide section that explains practically everything about the game and how to do things. If dcuo had that, maybe we wouldn't have so many lost new players.

Then again, the combat system changes like the weather lol
    • Like x 4
  4. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

I wouldn't mind seeing a system like this being implemented, but the question is would the developers go through the trouble of implementing it?

I mean after all, they nerfed down the Brainiac Tutorial all because players couldn't understand/were too lazy to learn how to activate their movement modes.The Brainiac tutorial was also fairly incomplete, it didn't teach you essential mechanics or even how to play a support role too.
    • Like x 1
  5. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Hence why we need a help section that explains the basic functions of each role while giving a semi detailed explanation to individual parts of each role, like how to prioritize each type of heal, etc.
  6. BumblingB I got better.

That's because you don't get to switch until level 10. The game is designed around super heroes. The disconnect is there is no step between level 30 and T1. I suppose the sub 30 alerts are supposed to do that, but Area 51 pops up at level 9.

I don't think a help section would help in this regard. We need something that actually is required to go through but also engaging. But who am I kidding, it would probably gate the players and turn them away. Like the brainiac ship.
    • Like x 1
  7. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Not disagreeing, I just have my doubts as if they'll implement it.

In any case. I agree and approve of this.
    [IMG]
  8. JasonIsley Devoted Player

Chapter 1: Leaving Brainiac's Bottle Ship
  9. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

That's what's wrong with the game and the playerbase, A tutorial shouldn't drive players away; people think of it's as too difficult or time consuming.

A tutorial is simply that, it's meant to teach you what the game should be; what the mechanics and controls are; and how to do things. When we have people being turned off all because of a tutorial system, that really goes to show why we have the playerbase we got right now.

That's what gets me. The Playerbase is a result of a Disconnect from people willing to learn, and It's also a result of the Development team nerfing down stuff in response to the Playerbase.

I fail to see how players will"Git Gud" at DC. They shouldn't be playing, let alone be at end-game if they aren't willing to learn; but again that's due to a very large disconnect at hand.
    • Like x 2
  10. BumblingB I got better.

A tutorial system is always at odds. There are people that wish to skip it when the game has a mandatory one and there are players that want to replay it when you can skip it. Tera, another MMO, had several "nerfs" to their tutorial island. They ultimately rewrote the whole thing and it is a very "hand holding" tutorial. So at what point does the playerbase NOT dictate what the game developers do?

I think the only disconnect isn't the developers, but the players. Not with the development team, but with how we view other players. We can't grasp that not everyone is capable of getting to the same level as us. To the extent it frustrates us, because we are capable of doing quite a bit, like Dark Souls (I think that is the game, never played it.) level of "gud". But the developers know what they want and that is to get money. It's a trade off, for sure, but they are happier with the dumb down version as long as they continue with the stream of money.

Do I think there is a huge problem there? Absolutely. I hated OC, but I am not against difficult content. There is always a certain level of challenge needed to keep a game engaging. (I don't think we need OC's level, as it was just big hits and twitch reactions.) But I don't fault their actions either.

On the other hand, TC's isn't content and is just preying on the people that want feats because they think the styles alone can't hold the players.
    • Like x 1
  11. JasonIsley Devoted Player

Someone once suggested having tutorials setup through practice instances. Solo tutorials, multiplayer tutorials, various tutorials that explain and define things at certain points through the instance. Lessons could be broken up into multiple tutorials. People usually learn more through interaction versus just reading it in a guide.
    • Like x 1
  12. light FX Steadfast Player

Ive played a whole bunch of games and this is the only one where i had to repeatedly go to an outside source for info. That says it all right there. Ive even seen the devs in the past telling people to check out youtube. I couldnt believe that when i saw it. It was awhile back tho. But still. The game itself should explain the basics. And when there have been issues, like people not being able to activate movement mode on the brainiac ship, instead of explaining it better they instead eliminate the problem. I dont understand how that helps. There is a lot of misinfo thrown around on these forums too. By the players. Well why would a player be misinformed? ;)

There should be a tutorial for the roles. Most MMOs dont have controllers. This one does but there are so many people out there who have no clue about trolling. Some of thats on them. Some of its not. There are a lot of tanks out there who think dom affects aggro. None of this stuff is ever gonna change unless a solution is put into the game to change it.
    • Like x 3
  13. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

+1

On top of a help section. I would still like tutorials for each role put into the game. Final fantasy had this. Just the basics would be better than nothing.

I can say when I first started the game. I was very, very lost. My server, TKJ, was not filled with helpful people. Back then, everyone kept how to play in leagues or between friends. It's not the same today. Heck, there is a you tube for every feat in the game now. I help section would have been great back then.
    • Like x 2
  14. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

This has always been an area I felt the game was seriously lacking in.. let's be brutally honest.. The so called tutorial for this game sucks.

Let's start off with the fact that "supposedly" this game allows a player to assume 4 totally different roles. OKAY.. So then exactly why is it the no one in game even sees a piece of "support" gear before level 10? Oh and allow me to remind you if its been a few years since you created an alt at level 10 what you get from Oracle or Calculator is a ring. You are 1/3rd of the way to the highest level obtained in game and now have exactly 1 piece of gear that has anything to do with healing, controlling or tanking. Then of course you spend 9 level doing nothing but solo content. YES there is nothing that says you can't team up but the content is designed to be totally doable alone so why bother?

Now add in the fact that at level 9 you gain access to the very first team mission. At level NINE.. You don't even get that 1st piece of support gear until level 10 but you can now join 3 other team mates and battle Brainiac robots in Area 51. So exactly how much does a future heal or troll learn about their "support" role running around a Cademus base blasting away at robots?

And then we all wonder why so many bad Trolls, healers and tanks exist? Face facts.. level 1-30 is pretty much nothing but a DPS training ground. I've never had more than a handful of support armor drops in any of those missions and I'll be perfectly honest... knowing what I know about playing this game when THAT armor does drop I usually just sell it off and keep on the gear that increases my might and/or precision .

Enough on that.. Let's get into even more basic things shall we? When I created my very first alt and started to play the game not a word was ever mentioned about "oh yeah and while you are doing missions you might want to attempt to complete these special feats. They will give eventually give you skill points that can be used to enhance your stats and make you even stronger. Like so many other players I found that little fact out later and then.. like other players had to run back and redo certain missions to complete those feats. And let's be serious and use Oh say the Bruno Mannheim story arc as an example. Anyone recall seeing a sign above all those small vaults in the Whisper Adaire mission that said "HEY CLICK ON ME I AM FULL OF MONEY AND I WILL GET YOU 10 FEAT POINTS" Show of hands... How many of you on DAY ONE knew that when you battled Scarecrow in the sewer, Grood in his lair, or Felix Faust in the Theater you got 10 feat points if you DIDN'T use a soda while you were attacking him? If anyone has their hand up right now.. 1) you are full of it and 2) don't you feel a little silly sitting at your lap top in your room with your hand in the air? ( lol sorry could not help myself)

Let us discuss the currency we use in game. First of all in the years I have been playing they can't even make up their minds what we need to use to buy stuff.... since we have had multiple changes to the Mark system but go back to that first day you played the game again. For thirty straight levels of the game all you earn is C A S H for defeating anyone or anything. Then at 30 sudden;y your in the Watch Tower or Hall of Doom and all the vendors there want MARKS (????) or they won't sell you any armor. Hey when i first started you didn't even see a mark until you hit level 30 and started doing the tier missions at least NOW there are side missions where you can earn some and even the alerts award you a mark or two for completing them.

BUT now let's pretend your brand new and have no clue what is going on or what will go on later in the game.... All you are getting is cash and everything the vendors in the safe houses sell only requires cash to buy. Do we see ANY notice saying "Oh guys you probably want to gran as many marks as possible..... You will need them later"

You can not help but wonder how many new players just tried the game, got ticked off constantly trying to figure out what was going on and then just quit and went and found something else to do. Hey how often have you seen this message in shout "How do I get to Gotham?" You arrive in Metropolis at a Police Station and Oracle shows you where the vendor and the mail room are.. Does she EVER bother to mention.. "Oh hey see that pad over there. You can warp to other Police Station or the Watch Tower by using it" ? to answer that one for you.. NO SHE DOES NOT. And what happens in game when a "NOOB" asks that question? They get abused in shout by the older players.
    • Like x 6
  15. JasonIsley Devoted Player

#church #preach
    • Like x 1
  16. Sivulla Dedicated Player

My favourite parts are when they made changes to tutorial mission on Braniac ship based on what parts people quit the game.
    • Like x 2
  17. light FX Steadfast Player

I remember a thread a long time ago that was about noob moments people have had when they were new. Someone said they were in khandaq as a controller and the entire group was yelling at em to throw PoT. So he said he found a pot like object and threw it against a wall LOL Funny yes. But it shows he had no idea what PoT was as a troller. Someone else recently said they had no idea what the lightning bolt under their name meant for a good period of time, and they were trolling! Now like i said above some of that is definitely on the player. But if things were explained better i dont think that kinda stuff happens.

And look at how the game starts to change from T5 on. The content, the marks, the loot, it all starts to change from tier to tier. I cant even imagine what a new player must think when going through all of that.
    • Like x 3
  18. BumblingB I got better.

Stairway to heaven!
  19. hoaxone Committed Player

I don't really care for people who didn't make it of the ship or to level 30.
    It's dosent take much intelligence or mmo experience to figure out the journal and mini map in the corner.
    I really was with a 7 other people when the lantern bountys were new and nobody knew what the pulsating pinged location was.lol.
    • Like x 1
  20. Doc.Doom15 Committed Player

Aight. You lost me.
    • Like x 1