Playing with Alts - Do you have time anymore?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Magician, May 24, 2017.

1. Magician Dedicated Player

With the content, gearing, etc... I find myself with little time to level alts.

Does anyone else have that problem?

I'm talking about sans replays.
  2. Caroline Dedicated Player

As a person who has 11 characters, yes, I do find it extremely difficult playing lately because there is no way to keep them all up to date and lately I have just started to focus on my main and just play on some of the other characters if a friend or league mate needs a different role than what my main is, that is pretty much the only way I get to play on my alts these days.

I also almost completely stopped buying feats for them because they are not used enough for it to be worth it. There is just too much to do on 1 character for there to be any time to play on alts and especially if you have a lot of them. These days, I mainly use my alts for event farming and as mentioned earlier to help friends/league mates.
    • Like x 5
  3. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Nope, not having any more trouble than ever did, but, then again, in no rush to get to End Zone
    • Like x 2
  4. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

I'd need 2840 spores across my 8 toons to get all the plans for the OP gear, neglecting all other feats...so yeah I think about half my alts will be stuck in the 189/190 range.
    • Like x 1
  5. Charmed Legacy Dedicated Player

Alts?!?!?!?! That's a word I use to be very familiar with...I loved having my main alts to play multiple roles, toons, and powers. I always made sure my alts had everything my main did i.e. best gear, best mods etc. When AF3 dropped it was the end of alts for me. I spammed so much on my main trying to get her everything and get all my stuff/feats done that I burned myself out on the game and took a break for a couple months. When I came back to the game I started working on alts here and there while doing event/seasonal stuff on my main trying to get that stuff/feats done. my main alts are 188 with VIII mods and its sad to see them like that but I just don't have the spam/grind left in me for them too after busting my butt to get full elite/oly mods on my main.
    My personal opinion is if they aren't going to adjust the grind and costs associated with the new DLC's they need to get the gear unlocking system put into affect asap because that's the only way alts will ever be able to be on par with your main again.
    • Like x 1
  6. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

Gearing up alts is easier than ever. Maxing out alts is harder but I see no point in that. CR differential does basically FA after 186 outside Elite/SM.
    • Like x 1
  7. AberrantAngel Committed Player

I have had no issues with 10 alts. Now I don't get me wrong some are played more then others. But that really is more about my mood on the powers they are. All toons 188 and up on both roles. Again some get mite love them others but with the way gear drops and attunes now. No i do not find it hard to keep them close to top cr. Now if you are looking for all toons to be very top cr, yes I can see this as a little harder, but doable. But once I find myself grinding for the gear and cr like its a job. I usually stop grinding, main goal is to have fun on the game.
    • Like x 1
  8. light FX Steadfast Player

I play 6 toons at end game and rarely replay anything. Im subbing for episode 28 but im most likely dropping at least 2 toons. What i had to do to keep my 6 toons up to date in AF3 is not something i wanna do again. I was playing dcuo like it was a job. It was an awful feeling and i didnt really have any fun.

I might run the toons i plan to drop through some alerts and the raids each week if i have time. But open world daily stuff on 6 toons plus 12 alerts runs everyday? Nah not doing it. Not when the content is not engaging enough and has to last for so long. The thing is if i had my choice i would rather not drop toons because i spent some $ to unlock about 175sp on each of my 5 alts and all 6 have at least 3 armories. I will get some gear here n there for those toons and maybe catch up with the next big event. Maybe. Ive always been an end gamer who finishes everything and reaches max CR. So its tough to not do that, i dont know any other way to play.

Yea it was my choice to make the toons and spend the $ but it annoys me that the direction change wont let me play these toons regularly in the future. Gear cost imo is too high and takes too long to acquire. Grinding multiple alts through the content daily results in quick burnout of the content. Id much rather have it take 2 months to gear up instead of 3. Cause at the end of that 3 months i dont even wanna see that content anymore. When it was 1.5-2 months to gear up the content wasnt stale for me yet and i could log on in that 3rd month w/out any pressure to gear up and just run whatever. Im just stating how i feel about things atm. Nothing more. Not trying to be critical of things.
    • Like x 1
  9. Brother Allen Loyal Player

I have to salute you guys/girls that play more than 2 toons continuously. I don't know how you do it. I have two toons and that is by far more than enough for me to keep up with.
    • Like x 2
  10. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Similar here: play games to have fun, which means slow and enjoying the experience

Don't personally like the term 'alts', tend to have a 'main', but other than using that one as the 'primary identifier' for that game, view all characters to be (mostly) 'equal': in DCUO, the 'Pee Eye' is Haasts and Chris (but mostly Haasts), because they are the 'prime' Hero and Villain (respectively); in EQ2 it is V'Wak N'Ron (because in EQ have twins V'Rak & V'Lak, and seeing how EQ2 is set about 500 years later, she became the niece)
  11. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Agreed. I keep my main and 1 alt current. I have may other alts, but like other posters have said. AF3 killed most of them. The starro event was pretty awesome for gearing up alts though. I was messing around with a few lower level alts. Honestly, that's all I'll probably do with my other alta. Wait for the next major event and get gear that away. Why waste my time if they are giving away gear thru events. We get like 3 or four major events per year, it seems. Two so far, the next I'm guess will be around September or October.
  12. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

running a character through the starro events opwn world missions, the duo and alert takes about 20 minutes. 40 on reset day if you add in the clamped raid, starro bounty and extra weekly missions. the spring seasonal takes about 10.

how can you not have the time to work on a few alts?

now getting sick of the grind...that i can see. content is too easy, fast and repetitive.
    • Like x 3
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It all depends on how you handle it, really. If you're the kind of player who HAS to have every character maxed out and top-of-the-line, then multiple characters probably aren't for you.

Personally I pick and choose on characters when it comes to certain things. For example, when a seasonal event rolls around, I'll usually single out one character to get the rewards/items for feats and concentrate my efforts on that one character for the super expensive stuff while other characters get enough currency to help fill out the rest of the feats. After that I spend some replay badges to get the feats across all my active characters.

Another example would be the stuff off the Rare Style vendor. I'll look at the styles, see which ones would fit for a particular character's look and get the full style only on that character. I may get a piece here or there for other characters that might work for their looks, but usually only one character gets the full style. Everyone else gets the feats via replay badges.

It also helps I rotate through my characters pretty regularly. I'll take one character, earn the Marks I need for their next piece (whether it's a style piece or actual gear) and move on to the next active character in the rotation once they've got it. Lather, rinse, repeat. :D
    • Like x 2
  14. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Well since its been 7 months since we had a new DLC with a new one finally on its way in June and unless you use replays it takes next to no time at all to complete everything available trough the Starro and Spring events at the moment the answer is No not at all.

As of today I have a total of 5 alts all above CR 180 and a 6th at Cr 175 thanks in part to 2 straight months of armor drops from Starro. Now keep in mind I am perfectly happy taking some time to get what I want/need so I don't use a pile of replays. I do the daily solo missions, the duos and the alerts DAILY and the raids once a week and yet some how in 18 days I managed to get my main to CR 188 and a week or so later he was CR 189 on both roles. That all occurred back when AF 3 first went live. Since then he's been joined by 4 other all now waiting for the new DLC to drop the beginning of June.
    • Like x 2
  15. stärnbock Devoted Player

i got my alts to 188 around. with the op mask i needed for the style alone, i got one to 189 and one to 190.
    only my main character will get maxed out both in gear and sp. for all others, the grind is just to much.
    when next DLC comes out, i will do the same: purple will be left till cr maxes out, then my alts will wait for event.
    • Like x 1
  16. siressarchangel Dedicated Player

I personally have 7 alts that I play with. 6 of them are cr 188 or higher, and the 7th I'm working on. Once I'm at a certain point on a character, I don't necessarily need to continue running all the content, so I switch to one that isn't end content ready. And once I'm done with that, I feat hunt. So I personally don't have problems with leveling alts, but I can see where many people do.
    • Like x 1
  17. Twilight Avenged Dedicated Player

I do have time issues yes.
    I have less characters than before but even still not every character gets played as often as others..

I have stopped trying to find ways to fix it. I play here and there but mostly other games,
  18. IamINC Dedicated Player

I play on 3 toons for the most part (the ones in my sig) I get everything done that I need on my daily rotation and then just hop on my main again and work towards grinding out feats and helping my league.

I have two other alts in progress at 112 and 135 which will be and dedicated DPS and Water heal respectively that I am taking my time with and 2 iconic ones (Donna Troy and X-men Jubilee) for playing casually when I want to run solo for a bit , if I ran anymore then I would probably struggle to maintain end game status on more than the 3.
  19. Alrighty Then Loyal Player

I don't take the game seriously anymore due to TC's; so I have plenty of time for alts.
    • Like x 1
  20. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

When AF3 dropped I had 9 end game toons (8 heroes 1 villain). I had no problems keeping them geared up between AF3 drops and Amazon time capsules. Then came the Aniversary event AND Qwardian Capsules with it. Whatever toons i got lazy or unlucky with I just used a combo of gear from the event vendor, event drops and qwardian gear to get the rest to cr188.

We also had the boost to cr100 gift and i took 2 toons off the ship and advanced them to 100 (because apparently 9 toons wasn't enough). I got those toons to cr188 just before Starro dropped. 11 characters wasn't enough to farm the event so i took a level 18 celestial practice toon/bank and leveled him from level 18 to cr183 within two weeks.

My plans for next week and on is to work on my main thoroughly first (KHALONofOGUN), then rotate my one and only tank in next, then my primary troll/DPS, followed by my primary healer (who will DPS more once stats revamp is finished). After that I'll rotate my other toons in including my villain (who gets less playtime due to population issues) until they run all content yielding the most currencies (Raids and Weekly stuff). The rest I'll do as time permits.

I satisfy my need to be at the bleeding edge with my main, the rest just have to be in a comfortable range (up to -3cr) to be effective in content. With the new attuning system and Time Capsule gear (probably one coming around this new Episode) i'll be able to maintain my 12 toons pretty high with ease.
    • Like x 2