Taking Tanking Seriously, Need Help!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Solarverse, Jul 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GJGBlackDragon Dedicated Player

Check this Ice Tank Guide:
    http://dcuobloguide.com/traits/powers/ice-tank-guide/

As of today is updated to GU47 but there hasn't been any change to Ice Tank since then so you should be fine with that.

My personal recommendation beside the Guide (also could be on the Guide):
    - Choose your Tactical Mods towards tanking. Specially the Neck Mod will increase your Defense hugely.
    - Assigning Skill Points go first in Dominance since it will aid to your Ice Buffs, then Defense, then Power and then Health. I prefer that order since the Armors give plenty of Life for an Ice Tank and the strong side of Ice is Defense.
    - Unless you are overgeared, don't go battle tank, focus on Tanking and Controlling your enemy, forget about the damage.
    - Have Colas available at all times, put a 12 pack on your consumable, another 12 pack in your trinket and have plenty in your inventory. Not always there's a controller around and when things got messy you'll be using that Colas not for Health but for Power.
    - Block, block, block. An Ice Tank blocking is very solid with his buffs, tactical mods, etc.
    - Mod your gear. Dominance in Blues, Dominance and Precision [Purple if I remember correctly] in Reds, and Dominance and Health [Green if I remember correctly] in Yellows.
    - Lunge your enemy, Block break your enemy and block to see the enemy fall to the ground and increasing your survival.

Besides that, I'm out of advices.

Good luck out there and I'll see you around.
    • Like x 1
  2. Lantern_AdamK4 Committed Player

This is helpful! I'm an Ice Tank myself and looking to improve
  3. Dipin Gujral Committed Player

I get it that you trying to offer advice but it seems that you you need it as much as the OP.

The linked guide is perhaps the biggest problem, you read some blog but don't really care to apply your mind.

Like most people have already stated, the stats a person should be focusing as an ice tank are Restoration, Health, Dominance and Defense. Besides reflection, every other shield relies quite heavily on the restoration stat and the higher it is the better is the strength of your other shields.

Also, how do you battle tank as Ice Tank? It is the first reference I have come across in relation to Ice being able to battle tank.

As far as gear mods are concerned, there is no one correct answer and people can do what they please, however, restoration and health mod gives the most bang for its buck in an Ice tank built. Personally, irrespective of the slot affinities, I mod everything restoration and health.
  4. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Here's the thing... dcuobloguide.com is a starting point. It will get you off to a reasonable start. I would also suggest going to YouTube and watching various videos, and talking to friends and league mates who also are ice tanks. Once you gather info, you will have to experiment and figure out what works best for you.
  5. Please Stop Me Well-Known Player

I don't use Ice but my brother in law does. I pretty much just had to Google it. I got something like this:

• Like x 1
  6. Dipin Gujral Committed Player

Maybe the blogguide entry is too old and no, it does not necessarily get you off to a reasonable start if the information is redundant.

I have experience with every tanking power and have been an Ice tank for over 5 years. Efficient Ice tank builds have always focused on restoration and health stats. It's not new information. It's also quite logical if people just read the power descriptions and realize how one's shield strength can be improved.

Unfortunately, players don't like to spare 15 minutes trying to learn one's power trees instead want a utube quick fix which may or may not provide correct information.
  7. GJGBlackDragon Dedicated Player

I encourage you to write a detailed guide for Ice Tanking. Your statement seems like you have the level of details in number crushing and grinding to justify in every corner. I lost interest in Ice quite long ago so I'll stick to my Fire Tank that's been my main since day one.

Good luck. I hope your guide applies the new #StatsMatters rules.

Looking forward to it. Maybe it might make me interested in Ice again.
    • Like x 2
  8. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

from important to not so important:

dom
    defense
    health
    power

those are the stats I usually aimed for as a ice tank. Usually in that order.

I picked health over power mainly b/c with practice power wont be a issue especially if you have a good troll ( a troll that knows how to throw PoT and do burst power correctly lmao)

defense is 2nd b/c you dont really get much from the innates so I didnt feel it was worth the spec'ing but I take it as its needed for ice tanking lol

and dom is Ice tankings main stat as it buffs ice defense with the use of a power.

From wiki:

Tank Role: In the Tank role, Dominance is increased by 100%. Using super powers increases your Defense and Toughness by 90% and will attract the attention of enemies causing them to attack you, rather than allies. Finally you gain +3 Perception, improving your chances of detecting Stealth using enemies.

http://dcuniverseonline.wikia.com/wiki/Ice

9. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

you dont need to spec SP' in resto to get decent heals, hell me as a earth player I have almost 10.1k resto as a tank.

four 8.3 resto gen mods, resto 8.3 in chest legs, every time I use break out I get heals, thats for having x amount of elite gear on btw.

Yes I have my extra SP' into the bottom rows of resto, BUT thats only after I grab my main stats, and even when I was ice I had dom in my generator, and never focused on resto or elite gear, and still managed to do just fine as ice tank.

thats what healers are for, if you learn your power as tank and rotate shields, block/counter as you're suppose to then you wont need to do 2 roles jobs ;)
  10. Dipin Gujral Committed Player

I am not good with writing detailed guides and I am not sure if Ice Tanking requires a detailed guide.

Ice tanking is the strongest and the easiest tanking power in the game.

Update 23 enabled Dominance to contribute towards some of your damage mitigation. Bitter Winds, Winter Ward and Shatter Restraints prevent additional damage equal to 100% on your restoration combined with 100% of your Dominance.

This makes Restoration a very critical element for strengthening all your shields(100% Dominance + 100% Restoration) except Reflection (100% Dominance+10000 Damage Mitigation).

If we examine the SP and Mod values for both Dominance and Restoration, it can be observed that one skill point in restoration under the general innate abilities awards 10 restoration while one skill point invested in Dominance awards a meager increase of 3. In the bottom bonus tree, each point in in restoration boosts restoration by 30 points whereas investing in dominance provides a boost of 7 points.

Similarly gear mods with Health & Dominance Olympian mod boosts dominance by 46 points whereas Restoration & Health mod increases restoration by 139.

So, any reasonable person can deduce that equipping a restoration & health mod will provide more shield strength than equipping Dominance & Health.

My current load out is as follows:

Inescapable Storm, Bitter Winds, Shatter Restraints, Hard Light Shield, Reflection and Winter Ward.

Majority of my shields i.e. Bitter Winds, Shatter Restraints, Hard Light Shield and Winter Ward are a sum of 100% Dominance+100% restoration. It would make sense that I prioritize investing in a stat that returns more value in return.

Please note, singular mods such as Dominance Olympian or Restoration Olympian have no place in an Ice Tanking build. Mixed Mods with the other Stat being Health are more beneficial for overall strengthening of one's tank build.

My Stats and Shield Strength:

Health: 36813
    Defense: 32912
    Dominance: 5794
    Restoration: 10898

Damage Mitigation:
    Bitter Winds=16690
    Shatter Restraints=16690
    Hard Light Shield=16690
    Winter Ward=16690
    Reflection=15794

This overall build gives my tank the best possible stats for Ice Tanking. Had I not invested heavily in restoration, besides reflection, all my shields would have been much weaker.
  11. Dipin Gujral Committed Player

(facepalm)

I am not sure you fully understand how Ice shields work. Look at my last post just below yours to see what restoration does for Ice tanking.

I am not investing in Restoration to get heals. Restoration is as much a main stat for my shield strength as is Dominance.
  12. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

I know what resto does, but shields break within a few hits as it is even with 10.1k resto - 192cr - 286sp

until shields and such get stronger I just see it as a good option from my own experience.
  13. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

I appreciate that some people have used the search function rather than trying to start a new thread but a post "this was helpful" necro'd a thread and started an unnecessary argument, that could've been solved if those people had done the search instead.

[IMG]
  14. Maxwill Committed Player

Your own experience is not as much as good as could have been and you don't understand something.We get more stats from restoration mods, restoration sp, therefor our shields (ice tanks shields except from reflection) will absorb more damage .So before you write anything else, think about how we'll make our shields stronger, how will shatter restraints,bitter winds,winter ward, hard light shield be stronger? by getting more restoration first since restoration's stats are higher and then dominance since we get less stats, less numbers from dominance mods,sp
  15. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

*Reads the DCUOblogguide loadout*

*See's hardlight shield in there*.....

nope.. just no.

I'll take another ice shield or a breakout.
  16. Dipin Gujral Committed Player

So, according to you, 12000 damage absorption/mitigation is the same as 17000 damage absorption/mitigation and there is no difference between the two.

(biggest facepalm ever)
  17. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

You don't need to spec anything into defense with Ice. They hit the cap, so it's all wasted. Heath is the stat you should look for. If your shield goes down, there is nothing to buff your heal. So raising as high as possible would be better than wasting point on defense.

You can spec DOM or RESTO heavy. Both ways help and are beneficial. The reason most use resto is you can get a little bit more and it works on all shields except reflect. That's the only dom shield. So if you spec heavy dom, your reflect will be stronger and vise versa for the other shields with resto.
  18. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Lol, dude. Go look at the difference. You can spec either. It comes out to be very close. There is a thread somewhere on these forums that shows the difference. If people spec dom heavy, it won't hurt them tanking. Same as for resto, your reflect works just fine.
  19. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

HL shield is fine. Ice can run 5 shields if need or wanted. It's not to be used as a main shield, but it can help.
  20. Maxwill Committed Player

works fine but it's the best to get 1st restoration and then dominance
    And I am one of those guys that want the best not just fine.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.