Rage suggestions for the revamp....

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by RLManuel, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Arathian Level 30

Currently on live, there is a lot of factors in between these broad statements when tanking as Rage.

Rage has little to no mitigation, just boosting maximum health, and with current content having to compensate for the mitigation of say, Atomic and Earth. Things hit hard, very hard, in some cases dealing percentage health based damage. Yes, you need to block.

Rage does have "100% self heals" but this was adjusted when rage was trumping all the others tanks. Rage receives it's Rage Mode heals after a short 1 to 2 seconds after being hit. Now take into account current content again, Things hit very hard, but also very frequently, most of the time I find myself not even having time to release my block to simply initiate my rage mode, and if I do, I go down before my automatic heals kick in.

Rage DOES have the ability to increase it's own maximum health, which is based on the player's Dominance and how many enemies are hit with certain abilities when in rage mode. Now let's think about current content one more time, The only boss fights I can think off off the top of my head that has more than 1 target for a Tank is the Typhon fight & Athena fight. Because of the lack of additional targets, Rage tanks are extremely crippled. Sure you can initiate rage mode and spam Ragebringer on a single target, but as mentioned before, releasing block for that long is usually suicide.

Being forced to hold block is not active, nor fun and engaging, which is what the Stats Revamp is addressing. I agree with OP on majority of his points. Although I wouldn't go as far as to remove rage crash in it's entirety, but adjust it. I'd personally prefer for rage mode not needing to be re-activated on a constant basis, a change to an upkeep system, similar to Atomic's aura, or World of Warcraft's Shadow Priest Madness mechanic. Currently it makes no sense for (debatably) the least effective tank to have the most punishing caveat.

As for the point on more ranged abilities, I again personally enjoy Rage sort of being the "warrior" archetype of DCUO, and I think a melee focus suits it best, and hopefully the Stats revamp will make melee a non-suicidal option in content. Although having more than literally one ranged DPS ability would be nice.

I would recommend creating a thread similar to this in the Testing Feedback section and ask others for constructive input on the future of Rage. And don't forget to participate in testing yourself!
    • Like x 1
  2. RLManuel Committed Player

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I'm saying rage should be an active tank. Using powers NOT weapons.
    • Like x 1
  3. Arathian Level 30

• Like x 1
  4. Wallachia Devoted Player

Last week I went to play a raid with my league. I was the lowest DPS there, at my humble mark of 174 CR. I died with 2 hits, while everyone else could walk among many of them without dying so fast.

We were fighting Hecate. She used a weird attack that deals a lot of damage. People forgot to block, healer shielded us, me included. I didn't want to block, as our healer is 188 and his shield is nearly up to my 22k HP (I think it was 18k HP). I simply activated Rage Mode and was the only one alive and full HP where all the high CRs died.

Any half-experience rage user, be him a tank or a DPS (I have a tank loadout too), will only rage crash if he's cced in an incredibly inconvenient time or simply lags. I only rage crashed like 10 times ever since I started playing, over one year ago. Rage Mode is not only a trump card, but also, at least in the self-healing aspect, puts rage in league with other tanks.
    • Like x 1
  5. RLManuel Committed Player

Thank you.

I will be testing rage since it is my favorite power, hopefully the DEV's or Mepps reads this thread and take this in to consideration for Rage's revamp.
    • Like x 1
  6. Ringz Dedicated Player

Ahhh, ok. Well if you take away the rage crash, your left with the ability to increase your max health based on adds(along with dom stat) and then you have a self heal that heals 100% of your damage back? So how do you balance that?

And to think more on your perspective. What would the devs have to do to compensate removing rage crash? Maybe 50% of self heals back? Something with the max health increase. Thats as much as I can think of because then I have to do ALOT of thinking of the concept of rage tanking, which is on the devs part to decided.

Rage crash is the check and balance for the pros of what rage can do as a tank. A power that has some learning curve if you wanna master it and keeps you alert because of the crash function.

And I read post so far, and I can agree to maybe 1 more addition of a range power, but we have to remember the original concept of the power being created. Spytle even said on the first debut of rage when they livestreamed it, that it was a "melee power". You do have a range option, but its real purpose is melee.

So when the time comes for the rage to be put on test, I too will be testing the power to the fullest as it is my favorite tanking power, and probably the only power besides electricity that I can right a whole guide on with 100% confidence that I know what Im talking about.
  7. Ringz Dedicated Player

Yea, when the time comes. I too will be interested to see what the devs would do for rage and testing for it.

Rage mode was address because of the over-heals it was doing in pvp. And this was before wm. Not only was outrage cooldown ivery short for people to clip immediately into another outrage, but the rage mode made it hard to kill. All this was back in pffffft, what.. Maybe beginning of 2014 or end of 2013. Maybe it pve side was a factor for it, I just remember the pvp side for it on release,

As for my answers to the OP goes, I too am curious to see what they will do to rage as I wholeheartedly agree it needs adjusting. Rage was my ideal of finally being able to fight while tanking. As it is now, that is not the case.
  8. Gimpy Loyal Player

Well, now that you mention it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:D
  9. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Don't get your hopes up. At this point in the development, it would be too late to take any of this into consideration (except for number 1 since they intend to make all tanks active from what has been seen so far). Having said that, you should keep an eye for when Rage hits test server and THEN based on what is there make suggestions in the appropriate forum (Test Section).
    • Like x 1
  10. TheNumber 2 Well-Known Player

I would love to have a third Outrage and Revenge combo for more loadout space. Something to allow rotating two melee combos. Have the third combo only accessible in DPS stance similar to Dreadful Blast. Also, since they will presumptively be removing Ferocity, replace it with a decent ranged combo to alternate with DB. Plasma retch changed to an instant cast for the supercharge generator
  11. Trexlight Devoted Player

Umm Rage is Active. Now the definition is Active may differ from player to player but I only hold block when I need to do a counter when when Severe Punishment is on CDfor the 2 secs Ill be taking heavy damage til I can pop it again.

Now how are folks defining "Active"? Using Combos all day, er day? Or using Weapon Combos?

Now the Rage Mechanic is fine like it is. We absorb all this damage and turn it into Heals, there should be a consequence to balance it out which we do with our Rage Cancelers or Rage Reducers. Reducers probably could be strengthened a bit more in my opinion.

Ranged moves is iffy. Rage is meant to be a Melee. Having the option to go Range would be welcomed since the Revamp is about giving us Options to play how we want but Im also keeping my expectations low on this front.
    • Like x 2
  12. MAXILIANO Loyal Player

I see that neither of them ever played with atomic otherwise they would not be making these comments. Who plays with atomic knows how the same is different from the others!
    Being played from side to side, watch your life go down and up, know the time to fight and the time to pull the adds without dying in the process.
    Even the time in some moments defend or use the supercharger to save the whole group.
    Well ... This topic is not about atomic so ... play with it and learn ...
  13. Korlick Loyal Player

That doesnt sounds much different than playing with any other Tank power.
    • Like x 1
  14. MAXILIANO Loyal Player

Oh my God ... So ... play first then have an opinion?;)
    I've been tank of Earth for 5 years, I have a rage tank, and fire, and a few more earth and ice toons ...
    I love the role of the tank!
    And play with all the powers!
    So I tell you what I play and I know, not what I think ....:cool:
  15. Korlick Loyal Player

What makes you think i dont/didnt play with the power?
    Its amazing how people in here jump to conclusions based on nothing.
    • Like x 2
  16. Ringz Dedicated Player

You still haven't said one thing thats worthy of a argument. And +1 on knowing what powers I play.

If you wanna argue man, just make a thread about Superman vs Batman, Ill meet you there
    • Like x 1
  17. MAXILIANO Loyal Player

If after explaining you did not have the ability to understand, it's because they never played with power!
    There are things that do not help explain without someone having had personal experience!
    All tanks are based on making an attack and defend themselves!
    The fire and the rage are the ones that beat a little more, but even so they still depended on defense for survival!
    Staying there ... all the time defending themselves and eventually doing some attack or rotation of attacks (in the case of fire and rage).
    The different atomic of all has completely dispensed with this!
    Even when your life is at the end, you learn to return your life by beating or using powers!
    It is the tank that for the first time really participates in the combat without getting defensive all the time!
    It is not so much that atomic tanks do so much damage!
    It is not uncommon at times that I am the fourth or third DPS as tank!
    Otherwise the atomic can still stun enemies, which has a huge extratégge advantage!
    Mainly against ADDs ..
    Of course this being well used ...
    However all this is something that is only playing and having experience with the power that is acquired!
    And it only has one movement to pull the enemies!
    And yes, Ice is a great tank, but we can not compare how to play from one to another ...
    • Like x 1
  18. Ringz Dedicated Player

Having to play ANY tank power requires you to have gameplay experience to know what to do. It is as easy for me to say Ice tanking is about shields and blocking then turn around and say atomic is about keeping your aura up and doing combos. So again, I don't know if your argument is about atomic being a difficult tank power or it being a different tank power, because I am arguing about the difficulty and I think it is easy. Easy as cake.

Also, I don't/won't comment on if this is your first mmo, but I have played other mmos that factor tanks as actually fighting adds/bosses and dpsing, so when dcuo introduced atomic, the concept was nothing new to me. And once I and others played it, the complexity of what you have to do and the safe levels is no where near as hard as being a fire or rage tank or easy as a ice tank. But if im going to make a list.

From Easy to Hardest:
    Ice
    atomic
    earth
    fire
    rage

If you can earth tank then you can definitely atomic tank. If your gonna further try to explain to me about how different atomic tanking is, not only are you in the wrong argument but im not gonna reply back.
    • Like x 1
  19. MAXILIANO Loyal Player

No it's not my first MMORPG!
    I've played Ragnarok since the 90's! And since then I've been playing genre games!
    And sorry to completely disagree with everything you posted!
    Both the idea and the order!
    Nothing you said I agree!
    And I can say that I would not teach this to the beginners of my league!
    Maybe you play tank, or maybe you just have some notion, I have no idea ...
    But I can say that we have completely different philosophies ...
    • Like x 1