Do a little research...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Tallguy, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Tallguy Well-Known Player

Maybe the changes to the combat will be good for dcuo in the end. However, do some research on an old MMO called Star War Galaxies...Properly most memorable and popular MMO ever created. However they made significant changes to the combat and game itself eventually the game died almost over night.

The situation at DC is eerie similar to what happened there :/
    • Like x 2
  2. Here2Help Devoted Player

And in the livestream they actually talked about that and how they are learning from that game's mistakes to ensure it doesn't happen to this game.
    • Like x 3
  3. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

FF XIV is currently "tweaking" parts of their battle system for the upcoming Stormblood... and I don't think that's going to ruin that game... I also could point out several other cases where things were changed in battle systems and the games didn't fail outright because of that issue.

You are right that the combat system in DCUO is "unique" and what lot's of individuals enjoy, no one is going to argue that. However, it is too soon to tell. I have played what's on test and there are several things that make me want to gag about it. But they have improved things since they started out, lots of more tweaking needs to be done sure.... but we don't need our torches lit yet.

If it makes you feel better, sharpen your pitchfork... I've done that to mine... just not ready to light the torch yet.
    • Like x 5
  4. Tallguy Well-Known Player

Regardless of what they said there are so many similarities it's almost like history repeating it's self. Open minded and cautious is the right words at the moment - The recent changes are not going down well obviously.
  5. Tallguy Well-Known Player

I cannot argue with your logic for sure (continues to sharpen pitchfork!)
  6. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

If you haven't tested it yourself, you shouldn't be forming an opinion. All your doing is spreading fear and contributing to the players leaving cause they like to believe what some random guy on the forums said. The revamp is still practically in beta stage and subject to change, nothing is set in stone yet.
    • Like x 9
  7. FoolsFire Devoted Player

^^^ I felt very apprehensive when they brought out WM. But it actually saved Fire from obscurity and gave it a fighting chance. The same thing with the AM. Yet all you saw were people saying both would never make Fire competitive. So, I have hope that this might bring improvements.

Supposedly you don't have to worry about power trees anymore. Which is a good thing for fire. Since for some reason a tank power was in the DPS tree and vice versa. And both sides really would have liked that power but it wasn't worth the Power Point cost.
    • Like x 1
  8. ozzy1111 Dedicated Player

there are many great games, that are a thing of the past. after doing what dcuo is doing. the cash grabs, back to back to back. the battle system messed with till people just said...nope. I'm done. seeing what they are doing. they are not, learning, they are repeating ...
    • Like x 1
  9. Lantern Azure Black Committed Player

Agreed.
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

No. History is NOT repeating itself.

The NGE came out of left field about six months after a sizable change to the game mechanics and abilities for the various professions. It was tested in part by some focus groups that hadn't played SWG, and was put on the test servers for a very short amount of time before it was launched live. Even though regular SWG players voiced their dissatisfaction with the changes and told the devs repeatedly that it wasn't ready to go live, it still got launched.

Compare that to what the DCUO devs have been doing with the stats revamp. Incremental testing steps. Taking small batches of powers at a time to test. Taking in feedback from players and making changes based on that feedback. And it's still in the testing phase, with no sign of it going live any time soon.

I don't need to do research on what happened with the NGE, I went through it. I know what to look for and how the danger signs might manifest because SOE used up just about all of my goodwill towards the company with how the NGE was handled. I've always kept a watchful eye when it comes to big changes to a game, and even with the name-change they've NEVER repeated that particular mistake since.
    • Like x 4
  11. Tallguy Well-Known Player

I just stated the obvious similarities - I'm judging from facts not guessing work.
  12. Tallguy Well-Known Player

I just stated the obvious similarities - I'm judging from facts not guessing work.
  13. Simon Phoenix Active Player

Actually some things are set in stone.Phantom Flames no longer being a def debuff,thought bubble turned into a pull,horrific Visage a def debuff now.

These dumb changes ain't being reverted back to how they are on live and if you think they are,you haven't been paying attention to how the devs operate.

Seen a post in another thread where dude says they probably gonna turn quantum tunneling into a def debuff lol the devs are so clueless I'd bet the house on it.
  14. Kid Multiverse Loyal Player

And yet they seemed determined to do it anyway.
    • Like x 1
  15. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I could care less about live server. The game has grown so stale since AMs I'll take what's on test over it any day. Does it still need work? Of course. Unfortunately you can't please everyone and no matter what they do, there will always be someone who disagrees with the decision.

Also as someone who trolled on test with mental, I had fun with it. I do agree taking the def debuff off of PF was a little uncalled for, as it's the only debuff without a terrorizing PI.
    • Like x 3
  16. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

Inb4 pc is the minority ps rules :p
    • Like x 1
  17. light FX Steadfast Player

Interesting u bring up that game. Just last night i was looking at player housing in that game. And all the iconic stuff players could get and place in their base was amazing. Made me wonder why dcuo cant have iconic stuff like this in our lairs. Sure we have some, but not to this extent. Here is a video. Jump to 2:35 is where the lair is shown. Imo its amazing. Watch the entire video too. A 2nd base/lair is shown right at the end too.
    • Like x 1
  18. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

I need to make this my signature, so many people don't grasp the concept behind"Stats-matter is still early in testing"
    • Like x 3
  19. Malachee Committed Player

Wow...that video really brought back some great memories. Thanks for posting.
    • Like x 2
  20. Ala Rebeldex Loyal Player

We already past that point after GU 36 bro.