Idea - Damage Based Auto-Kick From Instance

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Skull Collector, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Skull Collector Committed Player

Kicking players from instances for varying reasons has long been an issue with this community, and the new Anniversary seasonal gone wrong is clear evidence that people are intentionally going afk or disconnecting and reconnecting (rinse repeat), and not participating in this frustrating raid. With a 3 hour timer, people are less likely to waste their kick options. Clearly making the kick option too easily available is going to make some people feel ostracized, so we can't have that now can we? Heck, some newer players aren't even aware there is a kick option, so why not fix it so we don't even have to worry about it?

Maybe the answer this game needs is an auto-kick based on damage out for your role that the game reads and logs every minute or two. If you aren't doing a certain percentage of damage required, then the game recognizes that you're a lazy sod who isn't pulling their weight, and you are automatically removed in the same way you are removed for inactivity in PVP. Heck, the player could even get a warning on their screen that they are about to be kicked if they don't pick up the pace much like in PVP, and give them a 30 second timer to start pew pewing again.

Thoughts? :)
    • Like x 5
  2. nawanda Loyal Player

I'm not worried about the three hour lock. Very rare I am involved in a kick tbh. If I'm that desperate to get rid of someone in the event I'll die on purpose (removing gear if need be) in order to get out of combat to be able to initiate a kick. I've done that damn event 62 times so far and I'm not giving anyone a free ride.

I'm generally not in favour of taking decisions away from people and handing them to algorithms, but I do understand and share your frustration.
    • Like x 4
  3. Belthazur Dedicated Player

NOOO. This is an Absolute Trash Idea. Yea Granted in this event Tons of People DONT use the Bombs NOR do their part. A System Autokick is Just NOT the way to go. I say Bring the Kick Timer Down...WAYYY Down 3 hrs between Kicks is too long
    • Like x 6
  4. Ringz Dedicated Player

But what if im on a new toon and my lg decided to carry me thru a raid that i barely made cr for and they're at endgame. Im just tagging along for the gear but get kicked because me counting as a group member im not contributing enough to the raid??

Gotta think plotholes, even in your own ideas playa.
    • Like x 6
  5. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

No, just no.

This system will just alienate Support Roles even further.

Some people even flat out ignore mechanics just to chase the scorecard, The last thing we need to do is encourage more scorecard chasing nonsense.

Take Labyrinth of lost souls for example, So many people keep on ignoring the Shade block mechanic because they keep Dpsing the adds; I've told people left to right to stop dpsing; but in the end I have to resort to kicking them.
    • Like x 10
  6. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I'm just going to click the "watch thread" button at the top and watch the OP get ripped apart
    • Like x 11
  7. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Don't go eating all the popcorn now, save me some :).
    • Like x 2
  8. Skull Collector Committed Player

A system like this wouldn't acount for bombs, just regular damage or for lazy gits who have gone afk or are walking around doing nothing. Bringing the timer down won't help because they'll never bring it down far enough to matter. The only other solution I can think of is resetting each players kick per alert or raid.
  9. PsySomatic Extra Life 2020

Honestly it's an awful idea, that and I rarely run into issues in which I need to kick someone, so I'm mostly fine with it as is.

If they did add something like this the damage calculator would have to be set to a very low amount almost to the point of actually just getting a hit off on an enemy. Because if almost any end game player today runs pretty much anything below T7 they can nearly one shot everything, leaving players at level in those missions little chance to actually do some damage if they can do any damage at all with how fast enemies get burned, then getting kicked because of it.
    • Like x 5
  10. Skull Collector Committed Player

Oh don't you worry, I'm not bothered by people who are adamantly against the idea. So long as they keep it respectful and I don't need to start putting mouthpieces in their place, it will be fine. I'm interested in seeing where this goes too, and in people's thoughts on something like this. Admittedly though, there are some who will show up to try and troll or sling poop, but I'd have to value their opinions for them to make in impression on me, and I don't. ;)
  11. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Ermmmmmmmm............

No.
    • Like x 2
  12. Skull Collector Committed Player

That's why I said "damage out for your role." This would be a minimal damage system, to basically register that the player hasn't left to go make a sandwich or something while the rest of the team struggles. It would have zero affect on scoreboard chasers.
  13. Skull Collector Committed Player

Evidently I left out the part about this being an extremely low percentage of damage out in my OP. I j ust wanted to clarify that that would be the idea. Something that lets the game know you're making an effort and aren't riding the teams coat tails. ;)
  14. Skull Collector Committed Player

My initial thought was that yes, the percentage would be very low, just enough to register that someone hasn't gone afk. The normal kicks would still be in place for players to manually activate if someone wasn't actually pulling their weight.

You do bring up an excellent point about high CR's laying waste to everything, likely screwing lower CR players by them having nothing to register hits off of, so I do recognize that as a pretty major flaw.
    • Like x 2
  15. PsySomatic Extra Life 2020

That was the reason I instantly thought it was an awful idea, T6 and below enemies and even bosses can be nearly instantly killed by players at end level today.

Honestly people would likely go out of their way to get people kicked just for laughs because of that kind of feature.
    • Like x 5
  16. Lantern Azure Black Committed Player

Scenario:

1. Instance begins
    2. Infant starts to cry/needs diaper change OR important phone call, someone's at the front door, ect...(Insert anything else)
    3. Gets kicked because not having enough "Damage for your Role".

....see what's going on there? >_>

....but HEY! :eek: Let's give the DAMAGE ROLE/DAMAGE STAT even more power than it already has over this game!!! :D Let's make it even MORE important because DAMAGE ROLE isn't already the "Superior Race" of DC Universe Online!!! :D

-Thumbs Up-

Such a great idea!!! :eek:

[IMG]
    • Like x 4
  17. BumblingB I got better.

This would cause more problems than fix the issue.
    Support roles would never be on top in damage, even after stats matter.
    We saw what they did with PvP and how it affected the gameplay.
    Sometimes players need to go afk for a minute or two due to family issues. I often kill adds up to the next boss.

I think the new CC event is a good example of bad players, but a mere shortening of the kick timer to say 30 minutes or an hour would fix that problem.
    • Like x 6
  18. Swamarian Committed Player

It's a bad idea. STO doesn't give content rewards for people who don't do enough damage. Jerks queue up, do a bit of damage, die, and sit there. Meanwhile...
    A player randomly queued up with the top(!) scorer in the DPS league. Said DPSer proceeded to take off and vaporize everything. Regular player got nothing but an apology.
    There's a periodic station defense mission where you're supposed to close rifts and activate satellites to power up the station's weapons. A couple of players teamed up. One kited enemies, the other closed rifts and powered up the station. The guy doing the mission objectives got squat, since he didn't do enough pew-pew.
    • Like x 1
  19. NoPhilosophy Committed Player

What if a league is doing a run and one of their members goes afk?
    • Like x 2
  20. Skull Collector Committed Player

Good job!!!

-Thumbs Up-

[IMG]