Livestream Anniversary Event and New Time Capsule!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Jan 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dwild50 Well-Known Player

On Time Capsules (and Amazon Caps and Booster Gold Caps, et al.) Consider lottery tickets. Now think of a beneficent society that gives away FREE LOTTERY TICKETS! Huzzah! However...in order to scratch off those "free" lottery tickets you must possess...The Golden Nickel! And if you play one mission every single day for 2 weeks, you will get 2 Golden Nickels! (If you PAY us for a Subscription, you can get FIVE Golden Nickels!) Now take your Golden Nickel and scratch off ONE of the free lottery tickets (cause you can only use a Golden Nickel one time!) And you can get mucho stuff! Most of which is pretty much useless and clogs your bank. BUT you just MIGHT get a Collection drop in one of multiple collections...and if you get all 12 Collection items from the multiple collections (we have several collection games you can sink your time and money into) you can complete a collection! (BTW, there's always at least one of those 12 collection items that drops like once out of a thousand tickets, but don't worry...you can buy it at the vendors for 150 MILLION bucks!) And you get an item. However...those items aren't just for looks, oh no...you have to get those collections completed in order to get FEATS! You know..those feats that give you Skill points that Daybreak is going to make necessary for you to fight decently in the future when STATS MATTER again.

Now the good part. You do NOT have to grind grind grind to get those precious Golden Nickels to use the Absolutely FREE lottery tickets! Simply step into our handy dandy Marketplace and for REAL MONEY...you can BUY GOLDEN NICKELS!. True! And have another tiny shot at getting your Flaming Phoenix Feather to finish that one Collection that will give you shiny stuff which looks ok but doesn't actually improve your game but DOES give you...wait for it...HALF the feat points you need to get a Skill point! (Light the fireworks display, son, give them a show...and cue the Orchestra.)

I'm a capitalist. I understand how Daybreak has to make a profit to stay open and keep the game running. But ...REALLY? How about I offer you a one time payment and you just give me everything I need to play the game? One hundred bucks? Five Hundred bucks? How about one thousand bucks and I can avoid inflaming my carpal tunnel syndrome and inflating my blood pressure to stroke levels? This approaches a flim flam game. And people are either paying money they can't afford or buying game cash from (insert nation of choice) cash farmers in order to buy this stuff. But what the heck...you have a one in a thousand chance of having glowie armor! Totally worth it, right? 155,000,000 bucks for one collection bit...with 11 more bits to go...sigh. Or cash for a chance at getting it (or Exobytes which used to be the bedrock of the game economy but now are pretty much just lying around like pennies scattered to the winds.)
    • Like x 3
  2. nawanda Loyal Player

First, LOL at having spent money on keys. I haven't spent a thin dime on them.

Secondly, the terms imply and infer are not interchangeable. You can infer from something someone else says, but they themselves can only have originally implied it.

Finally, your post reminds me of that awful post made by Mepps a few weeks ago where he implied (see what I did there) that the community want everything for free and described that perceived attitude as "toxic".

Anybody who is a member certainly gets nothing for free, and if you can point my attention to a F2P member demanding free time capsule rewards I'll be very surprised. But by your logic if they aren't paying they shouldn't be entitled to even open the things.

The community is getting screwed over spectacularly right now and if they don't get their act together soon there is going to be an epic exodus, and that's so sad for us as a community of players, even if it's what DBG deserve. Your suggestion that the community are somehow expecting something for nothing is really misguided and insults the intelligence of many of us who are angry with the payment model that's been implemented over the last six months.
    • Like x 5
  3. Crimson Veil Dedicated Player

Several threads were combined into one which inflated the size of this one quickly. I fully expected this thread to be locked on page 5 or 6. The fact that it is still open/going (likely) means that the devs are interested in the topic and watching it even if they are not actively participating in the convo yet...
    • Like x 2
  4. RealTegan Dedicated Player

I don't think my opinion will matter in this. Daybreak is focused right now on short-term profits. Retaining legendary members is not a concern at the moment. The Time Capsules have proven to be profitable, so they will continue.

My opinion is that the company's actions will drive away loyal customers, which means the player base will become even weaker than it is. I'm not sure what the end result will be. I like the game - I'll keep playing even after my sub runs out - but at the moment I don't see myself resubbing unless legendary members get more perks, like unlimited or daily stabilizers. Stats Matter would have to be truly amazingly fantastic to overcome the Time Capsule nonsense.

One stabilizer every 2.5 days is just pathetic for a paying customer, especially with the crappy drop rate in the TCs. Even a daily stabilizer seems too low if a member plays regularly. I've got 1140 of the original time capsules and about 600 Amazon Time Capsules sitting in my bank, and can open less than 200 a year without coughing up more cash. That's just depressingly insulting to a paying customer. If there were not feats attached, none of this would matter. But the feats mean the capsules are needed for progression, which makes the whole thing even more insulting.

I've thought of a lot of different ways Daybreak could make this better, but if the company is truly focused on short-term profits and not on long-term sustainability, then nothing will change.
    • Like x 1
  5. Ereez Well-Known Player

I think it's a little soon to release a new time capsule, most people still haven't finished the last ones. Legendary players should get a stabilizer per day, it's a little ridiculous only being able to open one every 3 days considering how often they drop and rarity of the collections.
    • Like x 1
  6. Dipin Gujral Committed Player

Hello friends, countrymen, ladies and dissenting player base.

We are witness to the third coming of the Time Capsules. Most of us (those who feel similarly excluding dissenters) largely share the opinion that tying progression to Time Capsules is a predatory and abusive game design.

Not just that, this Time Capsule has Zodiac Sign Emblems perhaps because the creative team lacks creativity and could not find any decent game related symbolism to make and sell or that creating DC related IP is costly, requires DC approval and costs large amounts in royalties.

The Void Material is representative of the creator void in making something worthwhile.

None of these undesirable objects are worth a dime. If they were sold on the marketplace, they would sell as much as the Sequined Styles that nobody would pay for.

The capsules sell only on account of feats. Hell, if the developers were to add feats to the styles and game objects in the marketplaces, objects that have barely crossed double digit sales would sell like hot cakes irrespective of their utter ugliness and lack of utility.

I see hundreds of pages of feedback(excluding 100s of pages of feedback removed) that has for the first time voiced one singular opinion, that "feats tied to time capsules has got to go" and yet we see no response from the publishers let alone any word from the Community Manager.

We keep hearing, feedback is being reviewed, it it?

My one and only recommendation (stated earlier in another thread) is that instead of focusing our energy on writing feedback on the forums, for once try and speak from a position of strength.

Let your wallets be your voice, let the green talk for once and I am sure, the absent CEO will appear on the forums with a viable resolution.

I have dropped my subscription, many people in my league. i.e. Pwny Slaystation on EUPC have cancelled theirs as well and have pledged to not buy a single Time Capsule.

If enough people join hands, I can assure you your feedback will not ring hollow to the developer/publishers' ears as it does now.
    • Like x 1
  7. kiddropkick New Player

mirco transacations or the future of gaming sadly ...look at COD AW and now COD IW, Gears of War, AC, Elder Scrolls ... I mean it just goes on and on. Its a so called pay to win, but they escape that motto by placing items in a per chance loot system. I mean Call of Duty is ruined with stat drivin weapons from loot boxes. Same here .... get a cool feat for spending $$$$ I mean if you want to go that route just put skill points up for actual purchase and not hide them behind a time capsule. I could respect that.
  8. Hraesvelg Always Right

As a lifetimer sub, that's just another useless item in the loot table.
  9. Dipin Gujral Committed Player

Forcing micro transactions for abject ugliness in game design should not be supported. If players care for their feedback, they have to care enough to speak from what counts and not by continuing to support the same with their money.
  10. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

I agree.

If you do not support the time capsules, do not buy them.

But I think you should also choose to not buy the items off the broker/get from friends because you buying stuff off the broker is encouraging others to buy stabilizers.
    • Like x 1
  11. Lord Saren Active Player

when u work your butt off to get to 188 and those who buy there 190 from getting all of the relic laugh bc they get high damage boosts due to CR, some people will cave and buy the TC, i for one think it's pointless bc by the time i get enough ancient coins to be a max there will already be the next level gear to work for and doing this daily every single day is quite boring
  12. PsianideUK Well-Known Player

I'm fine with micro transactions.
    I'm not fine with anything that is a gamble, I don't like gambling, I choose no to do it anywhere else. As a player who finds the aesthetics of my characters important, having many new costume options, and in the case of materials, EVERY SINGLE OPTION, locked behind a game of chance, disturbs me.
    • Like x 2
  13. Gimpy Loyal Player

I agree, was able to open 3 last night, thought it looked weird when the 1st 2 caused a "flash" of the screen when opened.

I went on my way not really paying attention to it but when the 3rd TC did the same I opened my Loot Tab and this is what I saw,,,,,

[IMG]

Now look at what I "received" from the Time Capsule as shown 2nd below the freestanding Oly wall.

I looked in my inventory and sure enough there was a missing item I was "supposed to have received".

I am afraid to look at my Bank Account and see if that 1 item was actually received and I'm considering it a preview for what could happen once the "stats revamp" hits live and the TCs become a requirement for playing the game and moving onto the next Tier.

I will not be buying any more stabilizers or items from TCs off of the broker.

If this is what stats revamp is going to end up as then I will be moving on and finding games made by other companies.

Update ya sig Proxy.
    • Like x 1
  14. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

Sorry man I cannot see the picture so I have no idea what you are talking about. Can you use words?

I personally like TCs and have bought most of my stabilizers whilst on sale (I think I did buy a 10 pack once not on sale) but otherwise I use the stabilizers I earn from the event. I buy what I can/need off the broker, but I haven't tried to kill myself completing it all.
  15. Gimpy Loyal Player

The item I refer to is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1 Maxed Out Credit Card.

I personally don't like TCs or the direction the new Boss has led this game in.

I'm having flashbacks to a band called, " Asleep at the Wheel". Yeah I didn't care for it much back then either.
    • Like x 1
  16. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

Ah yes, the Maxed Out Credit Card, from the collection about Greed. I think it fits XD Other collections are like "Counterfeit Money", personally I giggled when I saw them.

Like I said in my first post, if you don't like them, don't buy stabilizers or anything they contain off the broker.
    • Like x 1
  17. Flair Well-Known Player

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this is redundant, but here's my two cents on time capsules. Make them permanent and attach them to the content they belong to. I guess you could still rotate the instance that drops the stabilizer fragments (or better yet have 2 or three up at a time), but at least give us the ability continue getting boxes if we are focusing on certain collections/skill points. 8 weeks is way too short to assume that anyone not buying stabilizers has any chance whatesoever of completing the skill points/collections in each successive box type.
    I get that you want to make money and I gather time capsules have been a good way to do so, but the way they are set up now is much too restrictive to those players (paying legendary members included) who are unable or unwilling to buy exorbitant amounts of stabilizers. If you had kept the capsules to styles only, I would have been ok with it the way it is, but including feats and game relevant items like the Zeus trinket is simply the wrong thing to do it you plan on taking them away after a period of time (ESPECIALLY ONLY A TWO WEEK WINDOW).
    If you kept the capsules dropping in their relevant content, it would give players options of choosing which boxes to open and would also serve as incentive for more advanced players to play older content, thus giving them a reason to help lower CR players in those instances.
    Also, the way things are now completely minimizes legendary players. Yes I get the fact you threw us a bone by offering a few more fragments for running the instance, but with a two week window, you may as well have just kept us at the same level as everyone else. Even if you gave us one stabilizer a day for running the instance it wouldn't come close to enough to get all or even most of the content out of those capsules. With SPs and combat-relevant items as rewards, you are giving members less and less incentive to keep their subs active, And before the argument is made, I get that nothing has been taken away from members, but the current advantages for Legendaries are further minimalized with every new cash grab you invent. Someone needs to start taking Legendary members into account more.
  18. Perseus Chase Committed Player

Just quit while you haven't sink a lot of money trying to get these feats......it's not worth it.
    • Like x 4
  19. Malachee Committed Player

The irony of this entire situation is just remarkable. In MOST games, an Anniversary Event is a kind of reward that shows the players (particularly long-time players) a bit of gratitude for all their support through the years. But NOT in DCUO! Nooooooooo, in this game an Anniversary Event is yet another piece of twisted content that causes many of the few remaining long-time players to wonder (again) why we're still playing this game at all !
    • Like x 7
  20. Dipin Gujral Committed Player

GG, guy! must have taken a lot of skill in opening Time capsules.
    • Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.