When did this much grind become acceptable?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Lt Skymaster, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Lt Skymaster Dedicated Player

in b4 the "It's an MMO it's grindy"

I mean I get it, some MMO's are grindy, but to be honest, not all of them. The intention behind the grind is obviously to keep their player entretained and the company making more money obviously.

But I have to ask to the community, at what point did we say "Hey Grinding it's fun, let's have some more grinding"

I mean for real if you like grinding you must be some kind of masochist. I get the joy and fullfilment you get once you've finished a grindy thing but sometimes isn't enough?

We got already so many things to grind for in DCUO, I mean how many people are already max sp? They do it because they enjoyed it. But having to grind just for normal playthrough to get the gear and mods, that's just not fun, I mean I get it people are going to say, "You don't have to get all the full gear to enjoy or play the game" Which lately has been the mentality by the devs.

And while I get it let me tell you this is still a game, there is no reason that I should have to log in every day and do all content just to be able to finish my gear set in the frame of an episode. This is a game after all. If you're saying it's your choice yes, it is but at the same time I'm paying a subscription to enjoy the content and all posibilities without having to replay more than what I get monthly, and I'm not trying to pay to have a 2nd work.

I get this was done because best gear in vendor and all that but do we have to go as far for the mods and generator mods?
    Do we really want the community to just focus on one role? And one character?

I don't know that's questions for you readers to ask yourselfs and comment if you want.

Cheers.
    • Like x 20
  2. Proxystar #Perception

Also I love to come home from work so I can play more work!
    • Like x 18
  3. Proxystar #Perception

Yes I did initially mean my typo both words were appropriate ;)
    • Like x 2
  4. Batmatt Active Player

I wanted best gear in vendor because for the longest time I was hope hope hoping to get those good drops with rng, now best gear is in vendor and I'll still be hoping for drops that aren't as good now, cause aint no one got time for that.
    • Like x 8
  5. Butterfly Boy Committed Player

Is it sad that it's more fun being on the forums right now rather than playing new content that isn't working or too grindy to bother trying? [IMG]

Answer: Yes it is sad.
    • Like x 5
  6. TheDarknessWithin Loyal Player

I'm not going to go in depth because I'm just tired of it, but when I requested a grind, best gear in vendor, and larger quality DLC, I was referring to the good old quarterly era before monthly back in early 2015.

This was over stretched and beyond insane and I'm sure many will know that this is different to the old quarterly era I wanted back.
    • Like x 10
  7. TheDarknessWithin Loyal Player

Let alone for just 1 set only, but hey! We have Amazon capsule gear!
  8. Butterfly Boy Committed Player

See what I've gotta love now is all the people who were defending the grind in the test discussions and how needed it was. They told me that it would take them only an hour to do all the solos, duos and alert, now they've been on for 6 hours struggling hahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha

hahahaha
    hhaha

ha.
    • Like x 12
  9. Lantern Azure Black Committed Player

I love the new grind. (^_^)
    • Like x 2
  10. Amanda Bailey Devoted Player

They're ok with the grind because it's not them grinding, it's us. Since when did the window between producers and consumers get so opaque? We clearly don't see eye to eye anymore either.
    • Like x 7
  11. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

As beautiful, innovative, well-made and ambitious as this episode has been, if this episode didn't have the grind that it does, it'd already be dead to me.

The content is far too easy at last episode's max CR and will only get easier as our CR's inflate. I've already beaten everything, with relative ease (the most was 2 wipes on the 2nd boss of the God of Monsters raid, because we didn't realise we needed 2 tanks. Typhon and Zeus went down first attempt). So there's nothing to really look forward to beating or working towards beating.

If this episode didn't have such a great progression system that's going to take time to complete, instead choosing to go with the vendor gear as 3rd best gear, bought with Marks of Victory, I'd be completely done with the episode in about a week and that would be disastrous for my engagement. Especially as the developers aren't looking to release new content every 3 months anymore.

Whilst I agree that the costs are a bit excessive, especially considering there's a post vendor gear grind, I'm just happy that, for the first time in years, there's actually something to work towards and there's actually a reason to log in and play the game on a daily basis.
    • Like x 6
  12. Butterfly Boy Committed Player

I get what you're saying, but as someone that likes to keep multiple characters up, just doing the content on the first day makes me not want to play for the next three. It's too much grind and I'm definitely not keeping my adds up this way, there are much better things to spend my time on than spending half the day on DC.
    • Like x 8
  13. Skull Collector Committed Player

I haven't sub'd up in a while, but from what I'm hearing about the new content, it's definitely an uncomfortable kind of grind that I'd rather walk away from.

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  14. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I understand the alts problem. I'm not opposed to any system the developers want to introduce which would allow you to clone things on your alts. For example, if you purchase the chest on your main, you can immediately unlock it on your alt or the cost of the chest plummets to 5 coins (example) on all your characters (so you can get another piece for your off-role immediately). I don't care, just as long as it doesn't infringe on the quality of the levelling experience for your main characters.

For now, just don't obsess with having your alts at max CR with the best mods if your schedule doesn't permit it or you don't want to commit to it.

I get that for the longest time now, the developers have been nurturing an environment where players only really have to commit to 2x 30 minute raids (if you're lucky) per week to stay on top. So I don't expect everyone to be comfortable. Players who ultimately don't want to grind and are complacent with an end game that is focused around randomly generated progression, once per week in 2 instances, are the players who continue to play the game today. But what they've been doing for the past few years just simply hasn't been working.

If the census is anything to go by, the end game character numbers are pitiful for a game with such a strong license and great concept. The Xbox One numbers are a disaster, too, to the point where they're merging the servers. Last week, there were more characters in my league than there were villains with a CR of 169 or higher on the EU Xbox One server.

If the developers wish to improve the game, then they have to shake things up not carry on doing the same thing they've been doing for years. A good place to start is the end game and giving players a reason to log in more than once a week and actually making them feel like their time invested in the game is worth it.
  15. Wallachia Devoted Player

My red ring went to 350% because of you.

>:{
    • Like x 3
  16. Green Lantern Fadi Loyal Player

this is everything
    • Like x 2
  17. Lt Skymaster Dedicated Player

I agree with you Tori, however there are some problems here and there, one of them is I don't want to have a 2nd Job in dcuo, plus the problem of alts already mentioned. I definitely know you've wanted the best gear in vendor for the longest time and I do agree is a good thing to do. However at this level they've took it it's a bit too far.

To have the people entertained and engaged to the game the grind is not a good idea, it's in fact never a good idea. The content is beautiful and it's pretty cool, I got nothing against it but there are other MMO's (I don't want to compare MMO's but i'll do it just in this one small example) where the raids aren't finished on the first day or the first month, they take a while and a curve to learn which here doesn't happen. I don't remember a raid that hasn't been beaten on day one with the exception of Throne elite but that was just different and another type of problem.

So what I see here is the devs who should be creating some different way to maintain their audience entertained it doesn't have to specially be with raids that can be beaten first day but there could be other things, and it should be up to them to determine what those are. Not to us to suffer hours of grinding just to "have fun" because that's no fun. Like I said, one might eventually get a sense of completion or even relief after finishing grindy stuff, but why have to suffer that way in meaningless things rather than do that in things like raids or important part of the game.

A raid or part of the game with good enough mechanics should prove difficult enough that it takes enough time to learn but easy enough to be beaten by casuals, and that right there is the devs work.

Of course i'm not against elite raids but that could be an extra to that. Just saying.
    • Like x 4
  18. Green Lantern Fadi Loyal Player

i really wish that one day this games goes back to the way it used to be , back to the days of OC
  19. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

Basically you answered yourself already. There is a group on no-real-life gamers who need a substitute for a work they don't have. Those people also have the time to come the forums regulary and demand more content for their minority, and with monthly content the devs followed those people for some time until the devs realized it is a minority and their approach ticked casual players off while it was too casual for the "give me a substitution for real life" gamers. Problem is with the "new" approach devs just focus on another, slightly different group of elitist/hardcore players they want to get back.

Advice: just stop grinding, make a new toon "locked" into the tier that offered the most enjoyable content for you and stay in that tier (or use your main as a Blasty McKillemall if you enjoy) and f.....orget the progression. If a game says "you cannot max me unless you drop your job and neglect your children/family" don't even think about maxing it and stop investing time and money - especially if the content on top is just repetitive and grindy and no more fun after the third time you beat it and the daily content does not offer variety at all. MMOs have gone a long way from trying to offer virtual worlds with your own content down to becoming stupid clickfests for uncreative people. But that's the way to success: lower the minimum requirements for your audience. Works at the movies, works in videogames, works in TV shows, even works in elections.
    • Like x 2
  20. zZzTorrOzZz Committed Player

The storyline, DUO, Alert, and raid (Olympus) was cool (Haven't done God of Monsters yet), but they can have the "solo" grind over in Gotham City.

I was there 6 hours, practically finished the 410 (410 really!?!) side mission, but, the Trapped Citizens thing, Stone Society I think it is called, left me infuriated still stuck firmly at 7 of 11 and that took me literally all day from the time the dlc went live!

Groups of villians and heroes were in every corner and getting the citizens was impossible along with them count for the entire player "group" that got the citizen. The solo player not in the group, just killing along side of them uninvited by any group there to help out, left in the cold still needing the citizen count. Typical for DC this community has always stunk tbh.

I will get a group tomorrow before I even start that again and once the 11 is acquired that side mission will never feel my presence again.

Either way I agree with the OP and a few others...way too much grind to turn around and chuck it for new stuff 3 or 4 months down the line completely over AF3.

IDK not real happy with it at the moment.
    • Like x 3