So Why Do We Get Items In Drops We Can't Use?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TheOtherLeague, Nov 10, 2016.

1. TheOtherLeague Well-Known Player

This has bothered me for a long while about the game. I ran a 4 Hero instance yesterday and out of the Sector Agents items I got, 2 of them I couldn't use because they were for healer, while my toon is a controller. This happens a lot, and it drives me nuts, because these are items you can't sell on the Marketplace, I can't trade them to my characters who are healers, all I can do is sell them to buyers who give me a paltry sum for them. I don't even want them for the items, I just want the styles.
    • Like x 1
  2. Entrust Committed Player

Are you a newer player who is looking for an explaination about the changes to gear, loot tables, and reward systems over the last 5 years?

Or are you just venting because the RNG isn't giving you what you want?
    • Like x 1
  3. Balton hero Committed Player

OP has a point. RNG should have a "usable by me" filter added. Obviously, you're not going to get the piece you want every time or even close to it, but don't give us something that's 100% worthless either. There's junk, and then there's junk.
    • Like x 1
  4. JasonIsley Devoted Player

Break them down for materials, to be used later for mods. The luck system sucks but just keep at it.
    • Like x 1
  5. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

What you are dealing with is the OLD system. The first unattuned armor we saw in game was in tier 4. The Morrow and Siege Bots dropped unattuned armor on a daily bases that allowed the player to determine what role it would become. Also the Ace Chemical and Stryker's Island solos challenge had similar unattuned armor and the reward box even allowed you to pick which piece of armor you wanted. Prior to that T1 through T3 missions just drop armor and you get what they give you. One of the main reasons the higher tiers have the reward box and unattuned system in place was players coming to the forums with complaints about spending an hour or more on a T2 or T3 raid and leaving with 3 pieces of new armor that were useless except as salvage because none were for their alt's roles.

Sadly the Dev team never got around to updating the lower tier content so the problem still exists there. At least its better than it USED to be. We used to deal with the NEED/GREED/IGNORE system.. where players didn't get their own reward box and each piece that dropped after say a boss battle required an entire team to click Need or Greed or ignore on each piece of armor.. depending on if it was something they could use. It was entirely possible, back then, to defeat a boss and get NO reward armor at all because the "invisible" dice roll gave the armor to another player. The whole reward box system evolved to stop that mess but until T4 you still had and have the issue with getting gear that's not usable

It does get better... Higher tiers have reward boxes with nothing BUT unatunned gear so you can pick what ever piece you need and then even decide what role to use it on. LOL you will still have drops that frustrate trust me... Two choices in each reward box and BOTH are pieces you already have. Two choices and BOTH are the exact same piece .. AND its one you already have. But its better than it used to be
    • Like x 2
  6. krytine Loyal Player

Those were the breaks on how loot was done for the first 5 tiers that's all it sucks but that's how it was designed to slow progression. Now in t6 you have unattuned gear
    • Like x 1
  7. randomkeyhits Dedicated Player

The thing to be aware of with the older loot system is that it was deliberately set up to promote the grind and make hunting for gear to take longer.

For example in T2 Battle for earth Duos its something like 10% your role, and 45% each for the other two roles. If there was a damager set as well it might be 10% your role, 35 % each the other two roles and 10% each for might or prec damager pieces.

RNG is involved but its weighted RNG against you.

Totally frustrating once you understand how it works.
    • Like x 1
  8. Solarverse Committed Player

The luck system is rigged. I have seen sufficient evidence to convince me.
  9. Pults Loyal Player

Investigate 11/09.
    • Like x 1
  10. TheOtherLeague Well-Known Player

Ah, now that makes sense. I had noticed higher tiers did have the choices, now that you mention it. Hopefully the devs can catch things up for lower levels (although I still wish you could trade between accounts if there's a character you have that could use the equip so it doesn't go to waste)

Thank you much for the answer.
  11. bagofboom Committed Player

Style "sharing" (sorry, I forget the actual term) is something we SHOULD be getting in the coming year.
    It was told to us in a fairly large Live Stream earlier this year. With the #statsmatter and the return to large piece content it will most assuredly get pushed further back but I think we'll still get it.
    Essentially what it is is just like Feat buying for our Alts but with Styles. Not 100% clear on the specifics but that's it in a nutshell.
    Not sure if that's helpful to you at all now but it's something to look forward to.
    • Like x 1
  12. Solarverse Committed Player

LOL, too funny! Seriously though, my evidence is based off test runs. The evidence is not enough to state it as fact, but it is enough evidence to convince me that the drops are rigged a certain way and are geared toward avoiding your particular class...at least for the lower tiers.
  13. Solarverse Committed Player

Which is complete B.S. They nickle and dime es with almost everything they do. To charge us for a style...something NO OTHER Superhero MMO that allows you to create your own Superhero has ever done to their players before...is complete B.S. Once you unlock the styles, they should unlock for ALL characters.

It amazes me how much a company can rip people off...and they are actually happy about it. "Please! Take my money!" SMDH...
  14. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

its just one of those things. if you got a style piece you needed from every run you would only have to run each of the "fight for the light" alerts a few times.

keep farming. if it comes to that point you can always use the rare style vendor to finish off the last piece or two.
  15. bagofboom Committed Player

I don't necessarily disagree with you but with the waning popularity of DCUO they've gotta do something to keep the lights on.
    If this game had hundreds of thousands or millions of players paying to play, we'd get more freebies. Until that happens we get what we get.
    If you disapprove, don't spend your money, that's your right.
    I don't mind throwing them my $120 for a yearly sub plus $20-40 a month when I can, if I can. When it stops being fun, I'll be the first to keep my wallet in my pocket. But for now, I enjoy the game and my friends in the game so the meager greenery I toss them on occasion is worth it for me.
  16. xXHeadlinerXx Dedicated Player

I think the OP's complaint isn't dupe styles, it is styles in a role that you can't be, and that he can't use the drop because it is for a role he can't be.
  17. TheOtherLeague Well-Known Player

That's exactly it. My concern is getting styles that I can't collect because it's for the wrong class. I'm as much a character builder as a stat builder, so it gets to be a bummer.