Battle Tanking

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Nebraxis, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Nebraxis Active Player

So, I've been running my atomic toon as dps, but reading through some of the Atomic guides on this very site, I see something called battle tanking.

I'm assuming this is kind of a combo between atomics dps and tank role and that from what I can see it is considered perhaps the most effective powerset for battle tankng.

But what's the general consensus? Is battle tanking a viable role to play? Would my gear be tank, dps or a mixture of both?

I've read the guides briefly and will be reading them again when I have more time, but have any of you played as a battle tank and if so, what was your experience like?

I'm trying to get the most out of my toon and be an effective player, so any input would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Lt Skymaster Dedicated Player

Well as for battle tanking not everyone can pull it off. You need first of all know how to tank properly, and second of all know your power downsides and upsides.

Definitely Atomic is the best for battle tanking mostly because of his low power consumption. But Rage is also a good option for battle tanking.

There are different types of battle tanking, and I'd say I'd recomend it mostly when you have high SP that way you ensure damage and survability.

Battle tanking is not for when you have a bad group for sure. The group needs to be good enough for every situation. However if it's lower tier instances you probably won't have any issue.

Edit: The quantity of DPS pieces you'd use depends on the survavility you want as well as the content ofc.
    • Like x 1
  3. Wallachia Devoted Player

How does one battle tank with Rage?
    • Like x 1
  4. Proxystar #Perception

Battle tanking lol.

Battle anything is just stupid either do your support role properly or not at all.

Anything otherwise is just compromising the group.

Keep your battle ******** in alerts and duos and out of raids or elite content.
    • Like x 7
  5. HymnOfMercy Dedicated Player

Lol.
    • Like x 3
  6. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

You can't tell them what to do
    • Like x 1
  7. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

Yet battle tanks out dps ppl
    • Like x 1
  8. TheDarknessWithin Loyal Player

If you have high sp, put the extras into dps crits then might. Also mod Dom/Might in your gear. Add the Atomic buff to your load out also. You'll do exceptionally well as Atomic.

Rage was the first battle tank prototype, but it is horrible and useless now. With Atomic, you need to do damage to survive.
  9. light FX Steadfast Player

I think that says more about the dps players in those groups then the battle tank ;)
    • Like x 4
  10. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

All im saying its pretty funny when a support is 3rd place dps
  11. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

People who put down battle support roles are ignorant to the way they really work. This game is not hard to where you can't dual spec roles, still performing your role while putting out decent damage. If you can't multitask, ok cool, but don't put down others that can.
    • Like x 9
  12. Simon Phoenix Active Player

For someone who I've seen on the forums like everyday for the past cpl of years I'm surprised you would consider someone who can play like this compromising a group.I can use my battle / hybrid armories for EVERY role in every content in this game and do fine without compromising anything.I know players who can also do this too although some have stopped playing.Only trouble I'd have would be my troll in DWF simply cuz of the power drain.

Maybe you should expand ur game and learn to multi-task.
  13. Gashadokuro Level 30

Yeah, they "out dps" people because said people are dead since the tank didn't pull aggro like they should have.

The last time I ran with a "battle tank" they put up some impressive numbers, but they didn't hold aggro. People died, and I had to drop what I was doing (killing the boss) to go revive them all. I eventually died, then the battle tank struggled on for a few minutes before running out of power and then dying.

In short, instead of full-assing one role, they half-***** two roles.
    • Like x 2
  14. light FX Steadfast Player

Agreed
  15. krytine Loyal Player

Raise your precision and know which powers and mods to use and if your precision is high enough you will heal yourself for over 10know and 12k at a time and that's in full tank gear you have to be active and work your weapon attacks as well as your powers and all
    • Like x 1
  16. Korlick Loyal Player

Severe Punishment, Relentless Anger, Ire/Ferocity, Ragebringer, Outrage, E-Chain.
  17. light FX Steadfast Player

I think what he is saying there are not very many people that can hybrid. Some struggle with just 1 role but then try to hybrid and end up sucking at both. But i agree it can be done and its not that tough. But people learn at different speeds and there are people who struggle with KTC. My stance on hybrid is make sure u are very good at both roles before trying to do both at once. Plus if u have even 3 dps in a group it should be more then enough. So do ya need the extra dmg? Probably not. I get there is a fun factor to doing it or people find support boring so they do it to spice it up or for the challenge.

Ive seen it done really well but also have seen it be a trainwreck most times. If u are always 5th dps or a support person out dpses u when u are dpsing then u should not be hybridding anything :p Not u per say, just people in general. What gashadokoruabove said is my point. Ive seen stuff like that more often then not.
    • Like x 3
  18. krytine Loyal Player

Really really so if someone can do Thier role in full role gear and help with damage that's crazy for you. Most players don't know how to spec for that they try to swap gear out and the try to just dps but if they know there role they can do damage while tanking or healing or trolling but they have to stay focused on their role first
    Me I split mod everything and use skill point for the rest. My healer has over 16k resto more then enough and still keep 8600 for might my groups get through great so whats the problem with me helping to complete the raid with a healer doing 35% of the damage of a quality dps
  19. krytine Loyal Player

Personally I think ice was the first active tank power what I mean is they could stand and fight for long periods of time but you had to be good at the weapons combos raise your precision high pop a shield fight pop again and fight keep 3 shields in your loadout out and ice was golden for that
  20. Wallachia Devoted Player

Were you meaning to quote me instead?