Penetrating Strikes Vs Core Strength

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Pher, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Pher Active Player

I know there are other threads on this, but I would really appreciate a DEV to weigh in and let us know what each of these are for. Some believe PS is for Prec powers and CS for Might. Some believe that PS is for targets above your CR and CS for those at and below ( and if this were true, how will removing CR diff affect this if at all ).

I just would simply like to know definitely what each mod is meant to do, other than the description that we can all read. on the mod itself. In other words, DEVS, what is your intention for these two mods.

2. SasquaT Dedicated Player

Im rage (prec power) and i test that few days ago result was CS is beter for PVE .
    Looks like PS is only for PVP coz it dosnt give me any bonus on sparing target .
  3. Lights Derp Loyal Player

Sparing target has a defence score of 0, so the armour piecing effect on pen strikes does nothing.
    • Like x 3
  4. HymnOfMercy Dedicated Player

PS is like having a controller defense debuff innately active, so its a 5% boost in damage.
    CS gives you better damage because of the 10% added.

Max damage in the mix: 65% vs 70%

CR differential has no bearance on this. The constant (modifier) stays the same regardless of CR.
  5. SasquaT Dedicated Player

Yea thats why :) so good subject must test it on some instance then.
  6. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

No, PS doesn't work in pvp. Hometurf was removed all together. Let me make this simple.

PS - was useful before CR mattered. It was useful back when the npc and bosses had an imaginary defense stat. If you remember how the Christmas event used to be or Jor El in fos2. It basically lowered, or removed, the defense. Which in turn made you hit harder.

CS - thus gives you a 10% over all damage boost. Since the npc and bosses we fight are measured by CR and not stats, core strength wins.

Now if the do like they say and make stats and skill points matter again, we might have to revisit PS. For now, everyone should be using CS.

Unless you run fos2. Bring a PS with you and one shot that fool. Lol.
  7. bmce84 Loyal Player

Just so you know, never ask a dev what they think it's better, they wont answer, and they really can't. Their job is to defend the content of the game regardless of what we say, even of every player says what each is best for, devs will still give you the same generic answer "they are both good for you character, it's your choice to decide which fits your combat style".
    I personally use CS, it has nothing to do with might or prec (i'm Light), it's just a numbers game and they have showed me CS is better.
  8. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

TLDR: Core Strength is better against all enemies with standard Defense/mitigation.

Core Strength adds 10% to your damage modifier so you go from 160% to 170% with Max Damage. 170/160 = 1.0625 so you get a 6.25% damage boost with CS.

Penetrating Strikes reduces enemy mitigation by 1/3. Most enemies have 15% mitigation so with PS they have 10%. That means you go from 85% damage to 90%. 90/85 = 1.0588 so you get a 5.88% damage boost with PS on regular enemies.

PS is only better on enemies with exceptionally high Defense but on 99% of all enemies CS is mathematically superior.
    • Like x 2