Stupid question to Atomic Tanks

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by WhiteCollarKiller, Jul 7, 2016.

1. WhiteCollarKiller Well-Known Player

Playing DCUO (with interruptions) since the beginning, I have so far never tried out the tank role. So I am a complete noob with this role as I frankly commit. I just know that it is one of the most sophisticated roles in the game as you have to have your eyes everywhere, taunt enemies, heal yourself, take care of your position ... all that simutaneously. If it goes wrong, you get all the blame for it, so I thought: Sounds great! Let's try!

Well ... how do you try that out? Training with non-attacking dummy dolls doesn't give you too many clues, if you're doing it correctly. So I tried out in a single instance adequate to my CR. Went quite right until the end bosses, where I eventually ran out of mana ... so I learned that a tank without mana is no tank, but a pretty helpless creature ... can't heal himself, can't stun, can't do much damage ...

So, my question to you, as I have found out nothing about this topic in google: As a DPS you got two AMs, the correct use of which returns your mana. But I could not find out, if there are similar mechanisms for the tank role. It deems important to me as more and more trolls are running around with CR 168 who never in their trolling career have even heard of PoT ...

Are there Tank-AMs or aren't there?
    If there are: How do I use them?

And PLEASE do not tell me to watch a youtube video, because you can't learn anything from those unless it is understandibly explained what they do how and why ...
    • Like x 1
  2. Dr Torched Well-Known Player

No tank as of right now has an AM while in the tank role.

You need to rely on a troll for raids because eventually you will run out of power, nothing you can do about it.

You learn how to tank by going out and just tanking things, same as every other role.

Good luck.
    • Like x 1
  3. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

It's really about damage mitigation regardless of method (shielding/self heals). Mostly it's cycling your mitigation power in a loop in cases of long boss fights.
    • Like x 1
  4. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

AM doesn't mean increased power regen/return. AM is a mechanic that provides increased damage. Part of the mid-range balance update is to give AM damage to support roles. So far Ice, Fire, Rage and Atomic get AM damage while in Tank stance.

What you're really asking about is the increased power regeneration or power return that DPS get while using the AM. No support role gets this (except Nature healers in Bug Form). Atomic does have significantly reduced power costs while in Tank stance, with the reasoning being that, in order to tank effectively, Atomic needs to continuously perform combos.
    • Like x 1
  5. megamanzero Loyal Player

tanks don't have AMs.
    trolls are almost always needed for tanks, at least in raids.
    pick a raid you're struggling with and find a tank video on it. study what they're doing. if they have garbage music then mute it. if they're explaining mechanics then listen. you can also google "dcuo tank tutorials" and probably find something good
    • Like x 1
  6. WhiteCollarKiller Well-Known Player

Well SOME AMs DO return power and that was, what I was referring to. Mentioning it, I realize that you are right about existing no power return for trolls or healers neither. I didn't realize before, because in these roles I hardly ever have mana problems, using WM combos in between super powers what keeps mana flowing. But keeping up your combos / aura active as atomic tank there is no way of thinking in WM combos. Or is there?

Thanks all, you were all very helpfull with your answers!
  7. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

Yeah as an Atomic tank, you wouldn't use WM, you want to keep doing combos (assuming you're taking damage). You get reduced power costs, so you have it better than other tanks. On my Atomic tank, I spec for extra power (Skill Points) and I use the Reserve Tank chest mod (+25% power, I think), plus soders and supply drops, I rarely have a problem with power.
    • Like x 2
  8. BigAl Devoted Player

First, I would recommend reading through this. May give a few ideas and pointers.
    Second, the best way to learn the power, is using and experimenting. And more importantly, remember to play the way that makes you comfortable and works best for you.
    Everyone else has given you plenty to stew on, get in there and kick some *** now! :D