Which DPS power is considered King of 1v1?

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by AceTheDazed, Jun 3, 2016.

1. AceTheDazed Well-Known Player

Ok so the title might be a little clickbait-y, but hear me out.
    I want to know which power is considered best at 1v1s?
    So there are a few things i consider staples to be good at 1v1 pvp and NOT all powers have them.
    1. Shielding- self explanatory, damage prevention is essential
    2. Burst Damage- now this is not only which has the best 35% power(another question that needs to be answered) but also which powers can burst down an opponent during your combo. powers with hard hitting, fast powers and good buffs help out here greatly.
    3. Healing- Now i know everyone is thinking about the dreaded Fire Tanks and Sorcery Healers but we are talking about DPS role here. ;) That being said, i went against a few atomic dps a week or so ago and their healing is quite the boon. I'm sure it's helped certain powers get some wins even when they maybe wouldnt have without it, TL;DR Healing good.
    4. Breakout- Being on the floor is bad, im pretty sure everyone knows this correct? I will also put control resistances here too as they are also useful. In the meta we are in where whenever someone knocks you down they are throwing a 35% finisher to catch you on the way down, having a way to get up is...you guessed it, essential.
    5. Supercharge- Do people still use these as dps? nevermind...
    Anyway this thread is for discussing other essential things needed in 1v1s or 2v2s that i may have(definitely) missed or forgot about. But also about discussing what power do you think is best or "most advantaged" in 1v1s.
    For my attempt i think the king is one of the precision based combo powers i.e--Hardlight, Celestial, Rage. the fact that they are built for precision and either have good shields or great self-healing makes them great contenders.
    Tell me what you think! Have Fun!
  2. hintofcoolness Well-Known Player

That is a very well thought out and rational breakdown of what the ideal DPS would have.

Sadly I (or any dimwit) can get on my light and use three powers off my bar (PI applicator, damage self-buff, and one safe combo) and win most matches, all of those powers really falling into the category of burst damage.
    • Like x 1
  3. AceTheDazed Well-Known Player

thanks that means alot. i agree some powers definitely do shine more than others in pvp.....also srry about the second half of that post font size.
  4. AceTheDazed Well-Known Player

Also if i would give top to any might power i would say maybe ....mental? im unsure tho, munitions is also very good
  5. Absolix Loyal Player

1. With increased power costs and only offering 25%mitigation for their duration, shields are typically wastes of power. Only good secondary effects, like also being a breakout would make a shield worth using in a 1v1.

2. Most burst damage comes from clipped weapon combos, which all powers have access to. There is a little variance with the damage of the powers used to clip combos, but those variances are fairly small for the most part, excluding HL's and Munitions' safe damage.

3. Atomic has some healing from Ptoton Remedy, but nothing from a Dps even remotely approaches a healer or tank's healing. Even Fire's healing drops dramatically without the healing bonus from being in tank role.

4. Breakouts are only so useful. Even if you breakout of a counter, your opponent still gets 2.75 seconds of counter immunity and damage absorption for 20% of their health for the same duration, so they can't be used to interrupt executes and you typically can't deal more than 20% of their health to break their damage absorption. So unless it has a lower power cost, like trol breakouts, and provides at least some secondary effects, like trol breakouts, then they are typically not worth the power they cost. Even in larger match sizes the breakout trinket is used as a clipping tool to squeeze more damage in rather than to breakout.

5. Supercharges are used so rarely in a 1v1 that they typically don't affect a match too much. Against opponents that don't know to use single target damage, some pet supercharges, like Mental's Mass Hysteria or Sorcery's Grand Summoning, can split AoE damage very well.

Right now the number one aspect of of Dps in 1v1s is powersets that have powers that can counter, and currently Atomic is the only power with both a power that can interrupt and blockbreak. The strength in that is that power counters don't have the delay normal weapon hold melee and hold ranges have.
  6. Sir-Ivy Dedicated Player

I can make a strong case for Earth in 1v1.

Relying on blue immunity for shields and health barrels for healing and SC building.

Entomb is more reliable than the finisher.

Jackhammer is the bread and butter in my opinion, some hold upheaval in the same regard.

I can crank out 3k dps if you let me. =)
  7. AceTheDazed Well-Known Player

Ah thats a good point earth focuses alot on precision ordinarily aswell. forgot about the pet powers, but i purposely left out blue immunities and healing barrels bcuz it doesnt matter which power you are, those are available to all.
  8. Sir-Ivy Dedicated Player

For some, that's all we got.
  9. AceTheDazed Well-Known Player

A question i wanted answered was which power has the best finisher? i know gadgets and munitions are better than say ice because they stun and have buildup dmg while ice just has the 2 ticks and seems to get interrupted often. but what do you guys think?
  10. Exponentzeus825 Level 30

As a gadgets player I hate PvP, power back mechanic doesn't work in pvp.
  11. AceTheDazed Well-Known Player

Really? idk about power back but everytime i fight a gadget dps they have crazy burst, also photon has to be like one of the best 35% finisher.
  12. AnonymousEUPS Dedicated Player

The tears that Fires flame cascade causes has to put fire up there. Other than that, the precision powers hit ridiculously hard right now... AGAIN!!!

Finishers? All that have the mid range adjustments will get a KO under 35% but any that stun on cast are just ridiculous. If they are to remain hitting like this then those who do stun on cast should have the stun it removed.

Pet powers? I'd call the weakest. Any player who know's what they are doing will be flashing blue for near enough the entirety of the fight vs a sorc or earth DPS. I know I do and it's hilarious. Those pets try to block break waaaaay too much.
  13. AceTheDazed Well-Known Player

i dont know any powers that have finishers that stun except munitions...which are you talking about?
  14. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Unless you have an immunity or blocking, I'm pretty sure all 35% stun.
  15. Sir-Ivy Dedicated Player

Best finisher in game is terrorize and that's an end of it. Panic is the strongest CC in game and prevents a break out to effectively counter.
  16. Absolix Loyal Player

I wouldn't say it is the strongest CC. It is currently the most bugged CC.
  17. AnonymousEUPS Dedicated Player

Most stun on innitial cast, like Mentals, Gadgets, HLs etc. With these powers, if you don't have immunity, you're dead. The like's of Fires on the other hand only knocks back on the second hit, leaving it easily counterable, what use is a knockback on a dead body? lol
  18. Sir-Ivy Dedicated Player

It can completely reorient a player. Any other CC effect will knock you back a bit at most, not turn you around and walk you away.
  19. Soul Dedicated Player

The issue is with the Panic CC and Terrorize CC overlapping, both have a long history of glitches and causing perma-stuns.
  20. Ayaya New Player

hl can do it too