Welcome Jack Emmert, new CEO of the Austin DBG studio!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Jafin, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Up until recently DCUO was the only game being produced at the Austin studoi (as far as I'm aware), but apparently DBG's new "mystery game" is being developed there too. The post does specifically have quotes of him talking about joining the DCUO team though.
    • Like x 2
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Hadn't gotten around to checking the article, so I wasn't aware of the specific DCUO mention in there.

Also wasn't sure of which Daybreak games were being worked on there myself.

Either way, I thought those were details worth keeping in mind. :D
  3. Backseid Devoted Player

I just hope he understands the importance of open world and Solo content.
    • Like x 3
  4. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

I hate to be the barer of bad news but both Champion Online and City of Heroes/Villain are super hero games that have basically died. I tried CO and well, I simply could not play it for more than a few minutes. I missed the bus on the other game but that game has come and gone.

This new executive maybe hired on to deal with the closure of this game for all we know, maybe that is his experience. I'm just stating this as I have seen and witness first hand when a new executive is brought into the fold there #1 job was close shop and got paid well for it.
    • Like x 1
  5. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Don't know about that.

Only game I played from his resume seems to be Neverwinter. Realised later that DDO was done by Turbine.

But with Neverwinter..... they decided to make a D&D game......but ignore what makes D&D D&D.
    Essentially they made a generic Fantasy MMO and slapped the D&D name on it for brand recognition. :(

It was like that bit where Kevin Smith meets John Peters about Superman Lives.... and was told....
    No Cape/Costume
    No flying
    Have a giant Spider in the 3rd Act.

If you are going to make a Superman movie where Superman has no costume and does not fly...... why even bother making a Superman movie?? Might as well just make a movie about Non-Flying Dude.

The same was true with Neverwinter.
    Why even bother to make a D&D MMO if all you really want is to make a generic MMO???

Makes no sense. :(
    • Like x 1
  6. jflusson Well-Known Player

lol too funny, all the COH fanboys hate this guy because their game got shut down. yet they loved the game and were forced to come here. the truth of the matter is dcuo isnt going to suffer that fate because 1 - its heavily console influenced 2- it has the backing dc universe brand , not paragon city or whatever the heck that was.

the reality is if this guy can introduce some of the best features that COH, champions had (like nemesis feature, or faction change feature) then thats all good stuff
    • Like x 3
  7. Anothername Well-Known Player

Considering that Daybreak is AFAIK owned by this Columbus Nova Investment whatever group its not only likely that he might have been hired to do just that, polish up to get it sold but also that this might be a good development because DB might then end up with a company from the gaming sector which has interest growing and expanding games.

Cryptics Star Trek Online is a perfect (pun not intended) example. After Atari it was on meager life support; kept alive by devoted fans & even more devoted devs. When Cryptic ended up with perfect world it resulted in a massive expansion of STO in all directions (contrary to popular believe it was not all about the dreaded lockboxes).

So even if he is here to sell: Don't yell Doom yet; it might be the necessary step for a brand new Metropolis sized open world zone ;)
    • Like x 4
  8. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

They just released DCUO on XB One....... which represented a major investment to port to XB..... so.... I don't think they plan to close shop any time in the future.
    • Like x 4
  9. Happy Cat Well-Known Player

It's kind of like giving a 4 year old a Rolex watch and telling him to fix it with a hammer; and then giving the pieces of that watch to a skilled watchmaker, and telling him to make it keep perfect time.
    • Like x 2
  10. DawnOfKhaos Well-Known Player

Some good news for a change, hope he gets this game going in the right direction because it has been heading the wrong way for a very long time now.
    • Like x 1
  11. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

You never know. XBox1 port could be considered a failure due to actual investment vs. current returns and estimated projection. We don't know.

I also don't know that individuals back ground. Was he there during those games successful years or there when they were going down hill. I don't know.

I hope he does come in and improves the quality of service and game direction. That is what I would like to see. Right now, both needs improvements.
    • Like x 1
  12. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

With the XB Launch...... they were surprised by the high demand at launch..... as usual. :confused:
    And imagine... they had a stealth launch..... and still there was a LOT more players then they could handle and had to scramble to add new servers.

So I think we can take a guess that the XB port was much more successful then they expected. :)
    • Like x 3
  13. Pingvinozavr Dedicated Player

It doesn't really mean that much - look at the fate of Infinite Crisis game.
    • Like x 2
  14. light FX Steadfast Player

This is how i feel too. Also like torikumu said i dont want to be disappointed so im going with no expectations. I clicked the link and saw his resume. Impressive. But it says he answers to the san diego studio. So will we see any changes at all because of his hiring? My guess is no. But if i expect no change and something good happens then ill be pleasantly suprised instead of disappointed ;)
    • Like x 2
  15. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Here's a dimes worth of advise. Play the game Mr. CEO. Get it, play it, understand our pain.
    • Like x 4
  16. light FX Steadfast Player

Whether it was successful or not depends on what anyone deems success is. They didnt expect as many players is all. U can actually use the census to see how many players xbox has now. US and EU combined is about 1.8 million. But how many of those are actually playing and paying is anyones guess.
    • Like x 1
  17. Lantern Azure Black Committed Player

OH! Since we're talking about Cosmetics...I'm just gonna leave a list of things I would like to have in the Marketplace:

EMBLEMS!!! - Robin, Bizarro, ALL Lantern Corps, etc...(Also, it'd be nice to have the option of placing the emblem in certain spots, like on a belt, a jacket, middle of the chest/left of chest/right of chest, on the back, shoulders, front of the jacket, on a bandanna, on a hat...)

MORE LANTERN POWERS!!! - Star Sapphires (Controller please), Blue Lanterns (Healer), etc...

LANTERN RINGS!!! - Being able to wear Lantern Rings without having a Lantern Power. ALSO, would be really cool if we could wear two rings (or more) at once like Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner. Maybe add a new tab in the Style Menu for HAND accessories. Another thing...while you're all at it...PLEASE FIX the Lantern Rings on player models. Some player models look as if they're holding their ring rather than wearing it on their finger.

ICONIC AURAS - Like the auras NPCs have. You know...some Lanterns like Hal and Sinestro for example, have cool outlines around their bodies as well as an aura to go on top of it. Hope I explained that right. How about the Brainiac Controlled aura from the FOS raids and the Mist Bounty auras? How about Power specific auras. We have Power specific Weapons styles...now give us the auras. How about all the cool Lantern NPC auras we saw during the War of Light Part 2 DLC? The Black Lantern aura?

MORE WEAPON STYLES - Violet Energy Weapons, Indigo Energy, Orange Energy, Black Energy, White Energy. Captain Cold can have ORANGE colored ICE. Why can't we have GREEN FIRE? VIOLET ICE? RED EARTH? YELLOW SORCERY EFFECTS? BLUE MENTAL EFFECTS? How about a POWER RING WEAPON??? That would cover a WHOLE bunch of bases as far as wishlists are concerned. LOL!

HAIR HAIR HAIR - Amazonian NPCs have really great hair styles. Look at more NPC hairstyles as well like The Huntress, Lady Shiva, Light Ray, Superman etc. You all should look into more hair styles with a more anime flavor as well, like the Spiky Hair style that's already available in game...but LONGER & WILDER (some can be less spiky, but long and flowing). Like serious anime style hair...you know? (^_^)

EVEN MORE ACCESSORIES - Necklaces, Earrings, Watches...Lets see...Wonder Girl has earrings and some other NPCs have them as well. Would be nice if we were able to decorate our characters to look as detailed as the NPCs. You'd probably have to create more Accessory tabs in the Style Menu.

FOOT WEAR - Need more HEELS...c'mon. >_> Some civilian NPCs and vendors have basic heels that look nice...but lets get those and MORE. Really nice foot wear.

MORE BODY TYPES!!! - Titantic Trenton...Granny Goodness...not all heroes and villains are well toned and defined. GIVE IT TO US!! More missing body types include...Powergirl, The Joker, Super Girl/Wondergirl/Catwoman/Lady Shiva/Batgirl/Donna Troy/Raven etc. (these ladies seem to all share the same body type that's not available to players) Give us the BIG HULKING MASSIVE BRUTE body type with all the massive veins like BANE, JARED, etc. (...VASCULAR SKIN)

MORE SKINS/FACE TYPES!!! - ALIENS ALIENS ALIENS ALIENS ALIENS....Lanterns Corps for example have many types of aliens from around the galaxy. This is only used as an example.

MORE PERSONALITIES - Catwoman, Cheetah, the big brutes like Atrocitus and Bane share the same personality too.

...and that's all I can think of that I'd WILLINGLY pay for. LOL! XD

Okie dokie. (^_^)
    • Like x 3
  18. HymnOfMercy Dedicated Player

Not holding my breath.

I wanna see action.. And I wanna see someone with an actual vision with the reigns. If he has vision, good. Lets just hope its a good one.
  19. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

We already know that on PC/PS...... about 4% of the players spend $$$ on DCUO.....and that is good enough for DCUO to be deemed successful.

So...... we can expect at least 4% of XB players to spend $$$ on DCUO.
    And pretty sure Daybreak had similar expectations. That about 4% of players would play to play DCUO.

And seeing how they had more players then they expected....... pretty sure they made more $$$ then they expected.
  20. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

Interesting ...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.