Question for tanks: using range weapon attacks to lure boss to lunge

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by anotherpacifist, Jun 7, 2016.

1. anotherpacifist Well-Known Player

I've PVE'd enough in all roles to notice that since PVP mechanics were included in PVE, the AI (especially bosses) have a way of trying to anticipate your next move to counter you. There are only a few common combinations that the AI will use in terms of weapon:
    a few feint range attacks then immediate block
    a feint block then lunge, a true block
    a full melee combo
    an almost full melee combo
    range for a long time

Using this logic, when I'm tanking and I try to get a boss to lunge me, I'll do several range combos on the boss after taunting him/her with a power. It doesn't always work, e.g. when they actually are blocking I will punish them. But, eventually, the AI seems to switch to the lunge mode quicker than if I'm just blocking after a power.

Bosses with proximity aggro obviously can't be lured this way.

Anybody noticed the above? (I ask because several experienced tanks in my league swear it's just coincidence)
  2. The Jelly Bean Dedicated Player

I hate it when they block while your blocking, you go to block break them and you get lunged out of nowhere. It's a blocking contest and when you release block they auto lunge you.
    • Like x 2
  3. Pults Loyal Player

You can't lure anything with weapon attacks. Powers taunt, weapons do not.
    As for your logic, it depends solely on your powerset which you didn't mention. With some powers you are better off staying in block whilst with others you can freely manuver outside of blocking.
  4. Here2Help Devoted Player

Because it's a feint.... when yellow brackets appear when they're blocking it means they're about to lunge you.
    • Like x 3
  5. Black Jaq Devoted Player

usually kiting or taunting the boss at range causes them to lunge, sometimes with feint
  6. light FX Steadfast Player

I hate feints :rolleyes:
  7. SrirachaMayn Well-Known Player

i do low key feel like the bosses play a bit by what you are doing as a tank sometimes as well. there's been times when i would just go full on melee and the boss would most def do mlre blocks than block breaks. on the flip side, i feel like if the boss is at range and if all im doin is turtling, he/she will be more inclined to throw block breaks rather than lunge. instead, what i do is stay out of block when the boss is at range and wait for them to make a move. if they throw a block break, i'll lunge and clip a power. if they block, well, ill pbviously block break. if they go in flr a lunge, ill take the hit on the first linge typically but they usually follow up with another blockable melee attack that i will catch the counter from.
  8. anotherpacifist Well-Known Player

Ok so I'm not just imagining it. Thanks.
    And yes, I taunt with a power first to get their attention, because weapon attacks don't taunt. It's afterwards that I do the range attacks.
    And ice tanks or atomic tanks probably do this better than fire or earth tanks who rely on block to survive.

This comes up with bosses like kalibak, mantis, and Harriet who just want to get away from the tank, while you're trying to stand near the add spawn points in the first room of DWF. Also works with stompa in HH and DWF 2nd room but group needs to be far away before she does her jump.
  9. SnowStar Committed Player

Can you please describe in detail, or ideally screen capture the feint's yellow brackets?
  10. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

When a boss gets away from you, if you are damaging them, they will jump back to you if no other player attacks them. Getting a group to do just that does not happen regularly.
  11. JimsArcade Well-Known Player

This.

I play on PC, have all graphics settings at max, and not once have I seen this effect. I've also never seen the "blue" you're supposed to get when you've gained an immunity. I've been relying on instinct to know about feints/immunities.
    • Like x 1
  12. anotherpacifist Well-Known Player

Does that mean PS players have a crutch all these years that PC players don't have?
  13. Hraesvelg Always Right

At 5:45 you can see an add from the right side of the screen with the yellow lines around them jumping in. Here's a screenshot with the add near the center of the screen with the yellow mark.

[IMG]

When an add has the yellow lines and is feinting, you should do the action they are doing. If they're blocking while feinting, they're going to lunge, if they're ranging, they're going to block, etc.
    • Like x 1
  14. Korlick Loyal Player

GU 18

• Boss rank, Iconic and occasionally normal match rank NPCs may try to trick you by performing feintattacks. They may start a melee combo to make you think you should block but then suddenly perform a block breaking attack. A bright yellow pulse on the sides of the character is your hint that their next attack is really a feint!
    • Like x 1
  15. Backseid Devoted Player

You know I only just now understand what "blue immunities" actually means?!?! Always wondered!

I've been playing since early 2012 (PC)
  16. BRITTENY Dedicated Player

At :56 seconds, you can see Wonder Woman feint 3 times or so, and me miss all three lunges lol. Hope this helps :)

• Like x 2
  17. BRITTENY Dedicated Player

No? I've played on both PS and PC and I can see them fine on both systems.
  18. Here2Help Devoted Player

Some examples have been posted before I could reply, but I'll still try and explain. If an enemy has these yellow brackets, it means they are going to try and trick you so they can get an easy counter and blue off you.

If they're blocking with the yellow brackets, it means they're tricking you into block breaking and are about to lunge you. So, if they're blocking and you see the feint, you block. If they're spamming attacks it means they're tricking you into blocking, so they will perform a block break, meaning you must lunge. If they're doing a ranged attacked as a feint, they are tricking you into lunging, meaning they are about to block and you must block break them.
  19. SnowStar Committed Player

Thank you for the fainting responses! I will take a look at the videos asap and try to re-create/practice. whoops I meant 'feinting'
  20. JimsArcade Well-Known Player

Thanks guys, I see the yellows now. I tried it out and dpsing has become ridiculously easier. No more second-guessing about the opponents attacks. I can't believe I've missed them all these years. :oops:

As for the blues, I still don't see them after I successfully counter. ;)