The Go Go Gadget Guide to Everything Gadgets

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by TheDark, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDark Devoted Player

Bat's don't use smoke to hide, and neither do spiders, but Batman uses them. Maybe Spiderman uses them too. Can't you pretend you're using the smoke to hide yourself before you do an attack or to escape?

start at 2:16

start at 0:27
    • Like x 1
  2. Heartsbane Committed Player

Dark, one of my leaguemates mentioned that they can heard of a way to get two EMPs off using Intimidation. Have you beard of this and has it been reported? I won't be sharing how it's done in an open thread. PM me if you need further details.
  3. TheDark Devoted Player

No.
  4. Black5pider Active Player

Yeah that's my current "explanation" when asked, had to make my toon have a past as Ninja (with Ninja henchmen, a dojo in my lair, and an Oriental attire when not in "power armor") to justify the smoke.

But "batsy" is not the best example for this...

He doesn't fly (bats do)
    He is not practically blind (bats are)
    He doesn't use echo location to see in dark (bats do)
    He throws cords and shurikens (bats don't)

Batman of the future (Terry McGinnis) is a best bat (flies, wings attached to arms, echo location, etc)

I enjoyed the attached videos :D

Thanks again
  5. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

If it bothers you so much to use Distract, just roll with Intimidation and see for yourself how much damage you lose. Yes, it's usually a disadvantage in short (read: most) fights, but maybe with your playstyle the different won't be too much for you to deal with. If you do a full RP focused spec you probably won't be able to maximize your damage anyway (you're using Taser, don't you) so I'd say just go with what you like better. As long as you still do the 1234 in some form, your damage will be decent.
    • Like x 1
  6. The Game Well-Known Player

Argument I'm having here with a leaguemate. Which is faster Cryo foam or Vortex Cannon? As far as going into emp
  7. TheDark Devoted Player

Both are standardized. They each have a 1 second animation. The only time cryoFoam will last longer is if there is lag. Just close app and relog. That fixes the issue. Otherwise you have to clip Foam with Battle Display or you'll remain in CryoFoam animation much longer if there's lag.
    • Like x 1
  8. DarthJafo Committed Player

I'm not feeling gadgets dps at all. I got a second armory for the character and Cr is 97 on dps side but it just not as satisfying as other powers.

I considering going mental on this one. Or just forgo duos on this one and just doing alerts and raids as troller
  9. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

I feel what you are stating. I felt that way a year ago when I created CyberBlue. He was Gadgets for a good 3 months roughly than I went Quantum. I really dislike Quantum. I started to play other powers on my primary (Munitions, Ice, Celestial, etc). After a while Quantum was boring and I said he was Gadgets I will give it another try.

When I went back Gadgets I feel in love with the power. I even got the hang of tagging. It took a bit of skill to make the most out of it.

The last update made it to easy now that there is no tagging and it still has the fun factor but the level of skill to play the power vanished over night.

I miss tagging and even in its current state I prefer Gadgets over Quantum.

I'm sure Dark remembers my stupid questions from a year ago. I'm glad I came back to Gadgets. It is definitely IMO one of the cooler powers in the game.
    • Like x 2
  10. TheDark Devoted Player

I'm still working on a series of "educational" youtube videos. I haven't finished the videos for the powers in the tactics tree yet, but I wanted to get straight into the Controller videos. I figure with the game coming to Xbox, they'll be Gadget Controllers, or just Controllers in general, who will need to learn the role.

Nearly all videos I find just tell players how to spec and what to do. There aren't any well informed videos that tell you everything about the role. Basically, spec vit. Throw PoT. Carry supercharges. Cast power = you control.

In order to become a great Controller, they have to understand everything. When it comes to controlling NPCs, they have to look at NPCs and whether they breakout of CC effects or not. If they do it's then a question of, "ok well how long are they controlled for and for how long do they stay immune?"

With Debuffs, it is paying attention to green icons under a NPC's nametag and looking at their animations. What animations cause a buff? What animations seem to be in sync with that buff or an animation before the buff or attack?

There's also being able to power a player at max capacity (what the game allows you to power heal mechanically), and then being able to explain to someone how they cannot be powered simply because of their playstyle (which you can prove mathematically and in game performance). I've done this many times to players with egos and you either shut them up, or they shout with childish responses. This kind of player doesn't actually look at anything logically.

I'm currently focusing on a weapon regen video which will be followed by WM window hit. Ideally you want to build your hit combo meter as high and as fast as you can go depending on where everyone's power bar is. While at the same time, a Controller has to take advantage of WM power reduction cost window. It's by combining these 2 methods, along with PoT/soders/battle drone/replenishing adapter, that you operate on a consistent high surplus to continuously debuff, control, defib, etc. Too often solo Controllers consistently run out of power and stay at empty, or near it, all because they are not aware of how to use the hit combo meter.

Below is a video. I'm currently deciding on keeping it but I'm also thinking of doing a shorter version.
    • Like x 4
  11. TheDark Devoted Player

So a shorter version can't be done without leaving out info. In the version below I was able to show 4 weapons with the hit combo meter.

• Like x 2
  12. Max Maximus Well-Known Player

This is the best power guide I have ever seen. Great job, congratulations!
    • Like x 2
  13. TheDark Devoted Player

I'll be posting a video of the debuffs and what they do next probably in a week or 2. It's nothing new if you read the first page and followed updates in here about bosses in certain fights. I'll just be throwing in clips of me using them on certain bosses. For example, healing debuff on targets that you don't want to receive heals, and the damage debuff on James and Dr Light.

Since Desecrated Cathedral, the developers have been trying something new where not only does the damage debuff reduce all damage out from an enemy by 7%, but it will remove a damage buff entirely for those 10 seconds while the damage debuff is active in alerts. This was confirmed to me by Jack Frost in a PM in September of last year. They added that to encourage more non dps roles in alerts. Prior to Desecrated Cathedral, damage buffs (green icons) just gave a small damage increase, or just a tell of an additional attack/mechanic (think Lex in Nexus of Reality raid).

I thought it would be a good idea to through that kind of additional function in raid settings. So I mentioned it, but they more than likely were going to do that anyway since he mentioned they try to encourage balanced groups in raids. TLantern also explained to me that the same additional function to the damage debuff would work on Dr Light in Prison Break Elite (Dr Light's pulse beam power sucking ability grants his buff) in a PM. That info is also posted publicly in the Prison Break thread by him.

So going forward, the damage debuff is becoming more important. So Controllers will want to spec into it. As long as the devs make damage from bosses/npcs very significant during their buffed phase, you will need it.

Healing debuff works the same and on a few NPCs.

Same with Defense debuff. Although, with the defense debuff I have been advocating for them to make it so our Defense debuff removes shields on NPCs (in raids and alerts). But these shield have to take either 1's damage (so that you can't just burn through them), or take half to 2/3s the damage so that after 2 or 3 episodes of CR increases you can then just burn through them. They'll need to add more shielding NPCs similar to the ones from the Batcave raids. Either NPCs that shield themeselves, their allies, or both.

Phantom Zone Alert
    Most NPCs seem to have long durations where you can control them and keep them stunned with your powers. If you carry PDart, which is your 8 man stun, you can keep a multiple NPCs disabled. So your dps will just be attacking something like a Sparring Target. In the last boss fight, make sure to pop your 8 man stuns every 20ish seconds and you don't have to worry about the numerous adds. If you ahve the elite type D mod, you can also pull targets with Taser Pull to prevent NPCs from escaping. It's part of a feat.

Also, there is a NPC very similar to the Elite Subjugator...

called Kryptonian Elite Guard. I've seen him in the final boss fight in Elite. With this NPC, you cannot breakout of its control effects. The only way a tank, dps, healer or controller can be freed from it is if a control effect is thrown at it or if you lunge him. From there you just burn the target. This might cause an issue if your healer is stunned.
  14. Flight Avails Well-Known Player

THIS IS MY ISSUE................

YOU GET PEOPLE UPLOADING INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS ON HOW TO DPS WITH A POWER.....

HIS ACCURACY AS TO HAVING THE BEST LOADOUT IS COMPARABLE TO SAYING "FISH ARE EXPERT TREE CLIMBERS"

FFS..... LIKE ALL U HAVE TO DO IS READ THE DAMN DESCRIPTION UNDER THE DAMN PWRS TO GET IT....

ITS OUR JOB TO PREVENT POTENTIAL FUTURE VIDEOS LIKE THIS FROM BEING TAUGHT...

DISCLAIMER- THE FOLLOWING VIDEO MAY INDUCE VOMITTING
    • Like x 2
  15. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

Dark, is there a good single target lo in the am?
  16. Splinter Cell Dedicated Player

For single target threats, like Doctor Light, Paralyzing Dart can be a decent substitute for EMP Pulse. It's faster too than EMP.

I would go Cryo Foam clipped with Battle Display, Gauss Grenade, Fear Gas, Paralyzing Dart, Distract, Paralyzing Dart, repeat from Cryo Foam.
    • Like x 1
  17. TheDark Devoted Player

Any of the burst abilities (gauss, napalm, and vortex) that work within the AM and with the correct PI set up. If you can fit 2 that's fine. The burst powers are good for AoE and single target.

Foam is superior to fear gas and sticky bomb on single targets while it's still good for AoE.

Stasis Field is good for single target over fear gas or sticky bomb too but it's even greater at single target focus fire. So it's something you can use on feats or strategic dps when you need to eliminate one target.

I use my loadout GG, Cfoam, VC emp distract battle display which works for all. If I need to swap out for focus firing a NPC I just replace VC or Cfoam. If I use EMP III, I replace fear gas with STasis Field and keep GG or NG and Cfoam.
    • Like x 1
  18. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

Thx, was considering taser, stasis, napalm, distract and dart. Wasn't sure.
  19. TheDark Devoted Player

Dart yea if you do max far range. You won't do alot of damage that way. For mid range, PDart and EMP net the same.

Taser Pull is single target and burst, but it doesn't benefit from a normal 50% PI buff. That doesn't make it ideal even in single target damage loadouts. Not unless you're going for feat but even there you can get away with another burst ability.
    • Like x 1
  20. TheDark Devoted Player

I'm controlling Phantom Zone Elite in a 1-1-1-1 set up in the video below.

I keep Holographic Decoy up the whole time for the 25% damage absorption, the taunting of NPC trash adds, Zod & Non.

I use PDart to stun 8 targets coming out of the doorway. The 360 degree Area of Effect on PDart is large. I also use it to reduce 7% total damage out from enemies like Zod.

You could also use something like Taser Pull to take the NPCs away from the Phantom Zone exit if you were going for a feat.

Zod does a charge after his Heat Vision attack from the center that can one shot. If a healer saves his/her shield for it, you can survive. Damage debuff Zod and have your decoy up and you'll reduce your damage in.

Also notice how I use my weapon regen, Brawling into Shuriken Storm, to build up my supercharge and restore higher amounts of power. A few times I don't drink a soder just to show how you can restore power if you had a cooldown on your soder, or if you wanted to save it. Ideally, you want to drink soders too when you need them for power. With the Home Turf mod, Replenishing Adapter, PROCing you also get a burst power heal to yourself. I only reach the higher tiers when everyone has power over 40 to 50% on their bars.

If I need to debuff, or give power through Defibrillator, I try to sync it with the Weapon Mastery power reduction window with Brawling. That combo reduces the power cost by 9% for each power I cast. If you use Decoy while building your power with weapon regen, it won't reset your hit counter like the other powers do.

One player in the video was on an alt and new to the alert. Normally this is much faster and can be done with 3 dps too. But this video might come in handy to players who struggle with this fight and do a 1-1-1-1 set up. This video is also good in showing how a Controller can help out the Tank with lunges and stuns. Only Controllers have stuns that can last 15+ seconds. Us controlling means less damage for the tank to take from match or minion rank NPCs. Tanks can only knockdown/back and pull & have the smallest power bar. At most they can use controlling devices like Chronoemitters and Dazing Devices but those control effects do not last as long as Controller stuns.

As for lunges, I made sure to lunge Non during his spinning frost breathe attack. I also lunged the Kryptonian Elite Guard when it was channeling it's stun hold attack while also keeping it stunned with my PDart. Otherwise the player stunned by the Elite Guard will not be able to break out until the Elite Guard is finished channeling his attacks.

I'm also wearing the Elite Affinity Mod. This allows me to put it all the abilities I need, like Decoy, debuffs, and large crowd control powers without having to put something like Sticky Bomb or Taser Pull. Despite this mod making it easier to keep PoT active, it does not guarantee you will always stay powered. Only soders, supply drops, super charges and mostly weapon regen will do that. Sometimes players think they don't have to worry about another source of power income when they have the Type D affinity which is a mistake.

• Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.