Monthly vs. Quarterly Content Releases

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MEBegnalsFan, Mar 6, 2016.

1. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

As a player that likes small group content I am disliking the current setup we have with monthly content. The focus has been on raids and duos. I like duos but I use duos typically to help me get a few marks I need for my next piece of gear. I prefer alerts over raids and duos.

As discussed in many thread now throughout a year period we get 8 raids and duos and 4 alerts and solos. I hope the devs see this post and start to consider alerting the third month and rotate out the duo for an alert or the raid for an alert, or make every other 3rd month a solo and alert and than go back to duo and raid.

Something has to change as many players are starting to feel the raid burn. I know I am.
    • Like x 8
  2. Chrisb0842 New Player

The current formula is undesirable and taxing to say the least, IMO.
    • Like x 1
  3. megamanzero Loyal Player

the monthly content setup sucks. alerts are better than duos yes but having content rushed out every month is bad too.
  4. Splinter Cell Dedicated Player

People whined about the old, now they whine about the new. Personally, I think it's nice to get something every month. Sure maybe less raids since we have quite a few T7 raids now to run on a daily, or weekly basis, depending on how much you use replay badges. It's very casual, and I like that. But, I agree on the raids, I think we have enough to round off T7. From Happiness Home to Prison Break elite, that's 11 raids counting the elite versions. We're good.
    • Like x 2
  5. blacklisted87 Active Player

When these threads are posted I am always curious what kind of hours people are logging on this game. I play a lot, maybe 3-4 hours on a work day and 5+ on an off day. I don't find the content to be to boring or repetive. I really enjoy the current setup, especially the elite alerts. I also only play one character. I've heard stories about people running the solos, duos and alerts on each of their 4+ Alts and I can see how that would be tiresome. I think the problem isnt the way they cycle content, it's the way we cycle our lives. I'm a huge nerd and play a lot but if I start to feel fatigued with anything about the game I will put it down for a while and either play something else or do something else in real life. My only gripe is how they still do not differentiate elite raids and normal raids with loot lock. I think that will help a lot with content. they have been doing a good job with the new content and I hope they continue to strive to make more improvements.
    • Like x 1
  6. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

I don't think the problem is monthly vs quarterly. It's raids vs alerts. Or replays vs bank account.
    • Like x 1
  7. Derio 15000 Post Club

My problem is the complete removal of open world content. I like alerts but only if they are well done to where role exclusion isn't massive.

I think the monthly setup does overkill on duos and should be swapped out for an alert every other cycle
    • Like x 2
  8. Biggdaddycane Dedicated Player

I'll be damned if they do.

Quite sure after a test run with T7 massive influx of Raids and calculated Replay Badges spent by players during this Tier; Daybreaks best decision money wise is to stick with this format. Raids cost more Replay Badges period. Furthermore the best gear drops from them monthly and they share Elite Lock.

Only good things is the Duos vs Solos because Duos have 3 Bosses versus Solos having 2.

It sucks but I have a gut feeling they're gonna stick with this format through out Tier 8 too. It's the best scenario for profit.

An frankly they haven't been giving a damn about how we want the game. An seems they've only been making decisions to bring in more money... ugly truth.
    • Like x 6
  9. Harlequin Devoted Player

I like solos, duos and alerts the most. I do enjoy raiding in this game but it's a once/week thing and you are done unless you pay up. I would love it if they would sub out a raid from one of the months for more small group and open-world content like Gotham Under Siege, WOTL2 and New Genesis.

This will not happen for the reasoning stated above by Biggdaddycane. It would eat into the replay gluttony.
  10. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

The monthly format has potential. The thing that kills it is the drive for replay badges. The quality of the content significantly reduced to help promote replay sales. Everything is too easy. Yes we have regular for casuals and elite for hardcore gamers, but I remember a time when we had fun and enjoyable raids without having to put an "elite" tag on it.

I want to get back to that. I'd rather have them return to releasing only a few raids a year if it meant having higher quality raids with better mechanics. AF2 was the last good set of raids they ever released.
    • Like x 2
  11. Tyrranus Well-Known Player

^this plus it be nice if they remembered not everyone has been playing 5yrs and released the occasional bit of content for other tiers than max
  12. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

The issue is the business model, not the content release cycle.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me that the game sucked when it first came out and was releasing content on a monthly basis almost, if the issue is the fact they're releasing content on a monthly basis. So far, no takers.

The problem is the fact that they're so determined to make as much money as possible out of people spamming replay badges on raids/alerts to get the best gear as quickly as possible, that it's had a dire effect on the quality of the game overall. If you don't believe that this is their motive, look at the Elite gear. Look at the now monthly Omnipotent items.

Look at how ridiculously easy the game has become. Don't start spouting that "oh but dlc7 killed the game" nonsense either because it wasn't DLC7 that "killed the game". It was a piss poor reward structure that didn't reward players for beating the absolute hardest content they've ever done, a lacklustre DLC8 (in terms of challenge) and the fact that GTA5 launched not long after. The perfect cocktail for disengagement.

As soon as everyone who hates how the game is right now, gets on the same page, stops blaming the wrong things and stops defending and utilising this business practise, the sooner we can see resolve and hopefully a better game.
    • Like x 5
  13. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

DLC7 and DLC8 were both great DLCs imo, especially the former. The issue with OC was the bugs, the loot system (and the absence of Traces head and shoulders) and perhaps the order of things (though personally I liked the progression, no content will have as much longevity as OC did).

I prefer quarterly content releases myself - but maybe have various storylines in a DLC or 3 episodes releasing at once. There needs to be a balance of content where its not too duo or raid-centric. I hope T8 has at the most a handful of raids which are decent and challenging.

The main difference with monthly content (as has been echoed) is the almost complete absence of open world content, which exaggerates the problem - and rubbishes the 12 pieces of relevant content 'statement'.
    • Like x 1
  14. Neidler123 Dedicated Player

My two cents is the complete focus on instances content and no real effort put into adding content that's not soley based on combat
    Dungeon crawler
    • Like x 1
  15. Derio 15000 Post Club

Gu47. Nuff said
    • Like x 1
  16. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Which is a flaw in the business model. Not the fact they're releasing monthly content.

Open World content, bounties etc. are all filler content that generate little revenue for the game. The main event is the raids, which drop the best gear and best rewards. No main event, drastically lower revenue for the game. That's why they can't do fun stuff that people are asking for, because if they don't do what they've built their entire game around, then they don't generate revenue.

Blame the business model. Tell them they need to find another way. If everyone gets on the same page, then change can happen. But at the minute, the arguments are so fragmented and everyone has their own opinion, many of which don't even make sense, the devs just carry on as normal.
    • Like x 1
  17. Backseid Devoted Player

Best gear in Vendors

Fix the COMPLETELY BROKEN Marks system

More focus on open sandbox gameplay

Styles in the Marketplace

= more players, playing longer

= more money than Replay focus will ever make
    • Like x 5
  18. Ariyana2015 Committed Player

I like the monthly release because I get different content more often, however I would like to get an alert every month. I started this game later in the years and what I enjoyed most about the game was I had lots of alerts to run. The game is much more fun for a person starting new (not discussing how they made it too easy) but the fact that I had lots and lots of alerts to do. When no one was around I could run the duos or solos. But my absolute favorite content was the alerts...and now i feel I have only one to run. I only have one to run unless I am working on past style feats and I need marks. The way loot is distributed needs to change that but that is a whole different topic.

I just want more alerts, alerts, alerts. Sure I enjoy some raids but not the majority of the content being raids.
  19. TestReporter Loyal Player

I personally hate solos and duos, because both are currently useless for our progression, they make a new map for a solo, we run it once to get the feats and never again, this has to change.
    DC and DP were bad alerts, i love the PZ alert but i really like more spending my day and replays in raids.
    If it is possible to drop a duo or a solo to get a alert or open world, i'm all for it, but dropping a raid is not something i'm really interested.
    I like having a alert to leave the raids replay spam , i spended like 1k or 1.2k replays (in game money and my own) in raids to get full gear, and i spended 150 replays in the alert to get full gear.
    I'm not the best to give my opnion here, since i'm a large group content player and the monthly thing is affecting more the small group content players, but i agree that it has to change and is starting to become boring.
  20. Senko Committed Player

I'm not entirely happy with the CR increases myself and I still haven't seen a satisfactory reason for why we need to increase the item level with every release. Why not month 1 X/X content with item level 132/136/139, month 2 x/x content with item level 132/136/139, month 3 x/x/ content with item level 132/136/139. Your cr will rise but by a more controllable amount which would also make it easier for those catching up or skipping content. Instead we get some weird month 1 x/x content with 132/136/139, month 2 x/x content with 132/139/143, month 3 x/x content with 132/141/145 item levels. Which not only makes playing the stuff a pain for anyone catching up but annoys players because the common drop doesn't actually increase in item level so you get a bunch of junk after the first month.

I also thought it was meant to cycle so the people who like different content all got something e.g. cycle 1 duo/raid, solo alert, duo/raid. Cycle 2 alert/raid, solo/duo, alert/raid. Cycle 3 alert/solo, duo/raid, alert/solo. Cycle 4. Solo/duo, alert/raid, solo/duo or something like that.