FOOTBALL! Playoffs: Wild Card weekend

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Faust74, Jan 6, 2016.

1. BigAl Devoted Player

Probably the long time feud with the Skins plays into it. Good rivalries sell tickets.
  2. dngnb8 Devoted Player

Rivalries make money.
  3. BlazeChamp Committed Player

In subzero weather in a playoff game surrounded by thousands of screaming fans? I don't think so.

Blair Walsh, being a pro kicker and all, has no excuse though.
  4. ThePastMaster Well-Known Player

Wish I cared about Football aka "grab ***"
  5. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

OK, I would have to wear a sock. :D However, it's still a kick I could make. Also, the way he missed it almost seemed like he missed on purpose. No way you shank a 27 yarder like that.
  6. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

They've been in a division with the Eagles, Giants, and Deadskins since 1961 and rivalries developed with all 3 of those teams in that time. Had they not been dubbed "America's team" and been the biggest bandwagon team of all time especially with the media, when realignment came, they would have been moved. Case in point, the Colts, a team in the midwest, is in the AFC South while the Dolphins, a team in the south is in the AFC East. Why? Because of the rivalries with the Jets and Patriots. The Rams are more east(for now) than the Cowboys. Truth be told, the Panthers should have been moved to the NFC East and the Cowboys to the South. Hell, don't know if you remember but at one time 3/5 of the NFC West all played in the Southeast: Carolina(technically midatlantic), Atlanta, New Orleans and when the Rams moved to STL the only western team in the division were the 49ers.
  7. VictoryMC98 Dedicated Player

Even though Bettman's a moron sometimes.. He got it right by placing the Wings in the East where they belong. It sucks from the rivalries standpoint in that being a BlackHawks fan we only get Red Wings twice a year.. But, it's creating new rivalries as well. The NFL need to look at the NHL in this regards. Franchise placement.. Not so much.
  8. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

So that last field goal kick. This is how it went for me.
    [IMG]
    [IMG] [IMG]
  9. Menelaos Dedicated Player

Just noticed this here, cool.

Playoffs have not been as exciting as I was expecting but then again I love football so I watch as much as I can.

Probably the most disappointing thing is the Cinci Fans and their behavior doing the game. You can "hate" your rivals, but tossing objects at someone being carted off or shouting "I hope he's dead" when AB is on the ground because of dirty hit is disgraceful.

Nice to see people finally come to that Minnesota kicker huh? Man, to send that man 'death threats' when he's the only reason they were even in a position to win just shows how not all fans are knowledgeable huh?

Anyway, Denver over my Steelers (because they have no RB, QB is questionable and no word on AB)
    KC over Pats (because right now nobody is hotter than KC)
    Panthers over Seahawks (I wouldn't play Lynch, Rawls is good enough)
    Cardinals over Packers (way too much time for Cards to prepare)

Regards.
    M
  10. BlazeChamp Committed Player

• Like x 1
  11. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Something I didn't know but apparently the field they were playing on is heated. Not to 70 degrees but to about 45 degrees so it wasn't like they were kicking on an ice bowl like the Cowboys vs Packers in 1967.
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think that system is just to keep the turf from freezing and becoming super hard, though. There's a similar system in a town near me where at least water (maybe some other salt and chemicals to keep the water from freezing) is run through pipes and tubing underneath the pavement that heats the pavement to help with/eliminate the need for snow removal.

http://www.downtownholland.com/green/snow-melt/

I don't know how much that might affect air temperature, so the degree (no pun intended) to which that might have heated the air in that kind of cold may not be all that great.