The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  2. Faust74 Loyal Player

Just finished watching One-Punch Man. Sucks that it was only 6 episodes, it was a pretty awesome show. I didn't expect it to be that entertaining, I hope they make more episodes.

[IMG]
  3. Yui Loyal Player

One Punch Man actually has 12 episodes, and it just recently finished airing. I dunno why you said it only has 6 episodes. Well, the OVA would have 6 episodes, but only 1 episode has been out so far.
  4. Faust74 Loyal Player

You're right it was 12 episodes my mistake. I burned through them so fast it seemed like 6. Still too short though.
    • Like x 1
  5. Yui Loyal Player

Definitely know how that feels and it sucks :(
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Wagnaria!!! finished up last night for me.

First off, it was nice and helpful of them to provide a recap of the season right at the start, just in case folks weren't up to speed or had forgotten stuff since the last episode aired. I had rewatched it so it was still fresh for me, but it's still a nice thing to do for the fans.

As for the episode, I think they ended it well, both for a season AND for a series. The last dangling story lines were wrapped up and the humor stayed consistent with the rest of the series. If they really wanted to they could probably continue making seasons of the show, as there were some openings left in storytelling, but if they choose not to make anymore and let the series as a whole end, I'd be okay with it. They did that good of a job finishing things out.

As for moments that stuck with me, learning where Takanashi's tendencies towards liking cute things came from was a fun bonus, and just about all the scenes involving his mom and her own behavior (force of nature comes to mind) were good too. And of course, one of the last scenes involving Takanashi and Inami was well worth the wait.

Like the finale of Blood Blockade Battlefront this year, the extra time used to make the final episode was used well, and the extended run time (close to 50 minutes) worked to the advantage of the episode, really helping it bring things to an appropriate end. The show went out strong, and you can't ask for much more than that.
  7. Bendmetal Dedicated Player

8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Just finished the Asterisk War finale (a week behind on Hulu).

If I had to compare and contrast the shows, which is kind of inevitable considering how similar the two are, I'd give the nod on animation and story intrigue to Asterisk War. The fight sequences alone were good, and there's a lot of story elements floating around that can be picked up for Asterisk War, almost too many of them in fact. There was plenty going on going into the final episode and more was added as the show wrapped up. My hope would be that it doesn't end up being a case of them biting off more than they can chew. My only other worry is that the harem aspect might seem too forced as time goes on, which is kind of an odd worry coming from someone who generally likes shows that have the harem comedy aspect to it.

I still have to give the nod to Chivalry for the stronger characters and relationships established, as well as cleanly ending their season. They did make some somewhat bold storytelling choices in the last couple of episodes that worked, and we do know where people stand with each other (at least at the school) going into whatever comes next. The cleaner ending does give them less baggage to deal with in a second season, but I would worry a bit about them stumbling a bit now that the character relationships have solidified and not seeing further growth among them.

Overall they're both good shows, with different strengths and weaknesses to them. Chivalry clicked more solidly with me than Asterisk War, for it's worth.
  9. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

10. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

So, Krillin grew up, grew a nose, and grew a pair? o_O
  11. chaoticRE Well-Known Player

Hi haven't been back here in a while but any really unknown psychological shows anyone have?
    Maybe over a month ago I saw Mirai Nikki which was more horror than anything but if you can understand the type I like

Parasyte-Black Lagoon-Deadman Wonderland-Tokyo Ghoul (episode 12 only :D)-Gangsta
    Currently watching- Monster

These are all great shows that I can think of off the top of my head, but there are tons more that I've watched just looking for an unknown.
  12. Yui Loyal Player

Another
    Btooom
    Death Parade
    Psycho-Pass
    Selector Infected WIXOSS
    Shinsekai Yori
    Steins;Gate
    Zankyou no Terror
  13. Yui Loyal Player

Just finished The Perfect Insider. I don't really know what to say about it. It left me speechless. However, one thing I can say for sure is that it's not a bad anime. It's interesting.
  14. chaoticRE Well-Known Player

I have yet to watch 3 of those, definitely will check em out thanks
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Interesting article from ANN, adult fans picking the top anime that made them cry.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...fans-pick-top-anime-that-made-them-cry/.97058

Not too surprised by some of the choices (Wolf Children and Your Lie in April definitely belong on that list) but I was a little surprised that Plastic Memories ranked so high on the list. It was a decent show but personally I'd rank Your Lie in April higher than Plastic Memories.
  16. Yui Loyal Player

Finished Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru (Google for English title) last night. It was good for the most part, but I feel like it was so close to Scooby-Doo cartoons, mainly Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated, and I have no problem with it except for the fact that it felt like the story was incomplete. I mean all that the anime showed us for the most part is basically the main characters solving mysteries. However, unlike Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated, Sakurako-san doesn't really go deep into the main story.

It's not until the last few episodes that we learn that there's something bigger going on in the series than the main characters solving mysteries here and there. I mean it felt like the story was just getting started when I saw the last two episodes. I really hope that there's going to be a second season later on because just 12 episodes of this anime doesn't really satisfy me.

Although I'm not really satisfied with the story, I think the visuals of this anime are really well-done. They were amazing. However, I feel like the animation that takes place when Sakurako is about to "solve a mystery" is overused.

Score:
    Story: 3/5
    Visuals: 4/5
    Overall: 7/10
  17. Yui Loyal Player

18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Hulu lists the title as Beautiful Bones -Sakurako's Investigation-

For those not in the Googling mood. :D
  19. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

"Beautiful Bones"? Wasn't that a Sir Peter Jackson filim?
  20. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player