Can Fire Tanks actually get a viable mechanic?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Gwendolyn, Nov 11, 2015.

1. SpicyMoonlight Devoted Player

I've always used Resto. Haven't had much issues tanking either :)
    • Like x 1
  2. CarlynnCarnage 10000 Post Club

I didn't say not to get resto. I said resto over dom.
  3. SpicyMoonlight Devoted Player

Yeah. I use Resto over Dom.
  4. Superskull85 Devoted Player

You'd have reason being a forum browser. If you browse the forums for any good length of time you'd know that the descriptions don't always tell you the truth and that it is hard for DGC to regularly keep descriptions up-to-date due their UI system.

I say "blindly follow" because you did it yet again with the patch notes. It is not just "some" heals that are affected by Dominance it is every heal that can be affected by Restoration is also affected by Dominance. This includes Healers and Controller self heals. It also includes all shields except for Healer shields. Also in the Stats page it is the very first line that says "Dominance increases the potency of certain defensive and healing abilities, ..." You could easily take that hint and figure what is affected and by how much. This is an example of "blindly following" what the game tells you if you don't ask yourself "what is affected" and become curious.

I'm not saying you have to min-max or remod but it is extremely rare for a game to tell you *everything* about it in its descriptions or be 100% correct. Heck if you look at "most" games they intentionally give you vague descriptions so that they don't have to invest large amounts of time into maintaining every single description that appears in potentially many different places. Just to give you an example. Final Fantasy XIV does a very good job of telling you what each of their actions do but they don't tell you, say, how much 1 point of spell speed contributes to reducing cast time or how much 1 point of INT increases spell damage exactly (there is a slight hint but nothing more). These kind of things you typically need to figure out for yourself in both games.

I'm just saying that if someone gives you a piece of information that you should be willing to figure out if it is true for yourself instead of asking for "Where does it say this?" "Give me a green name post?" It is not that hard to figure out if it is true or false. You could do it with just unassigning skill points and putting them into Dominance. No modding needed to test out if Dominance does help out with healing or not.
  5. CarlynnCarnage 10000 Post Club

I know.
  6. JimsArcade Well-Known Player

• Like x 1
  7. RachelBurns Active Player

We do have a mechanic. Mooks spam knockdown/stun, it succeeds.
  8. TheNumber 2 Well-Known Player

I understand what you're saying, but specific to that patch note, mostly Troll and Tank powers are affected by that change. So much so that Fire should at least have one line, just one line... to read: "Also, Dominance is added to Restoration to increase the potency of most self-heals". You keep emphasizing curiosity like some revolutionary scientific discovery will be made while I'm learning stats for Fire tank. If you haven't noticed, there are other "Forum Browsers" on here modding for Restoration. It may affect healers as well, but i do not recall any healer ive known to prioritize Dom. One line of text could change a lot about what people think and how they play Fire.

I apologize for not reading the Dominance/healing potency. Something so quick and vague initially led me to ignore the text for the same reason you stated yourself: descriptions aren't always accurate.
  9. SpicyMoonlight Devoted Player

Yeah I wouldnt call myself bad but I do sacrifice about 3k total health in the end. I'm also a lot more mobile than most fire tanks I know. This is why I chose having more Resto. Taking a 29k Hit out of block is the same no matter what for us.
  10. Agnetta Dedicated Player

tO mE, iT's lIkE tYpInG lIkE tHiS. uNnEcEsSaRy aNd ImPrOpEr
  11. Absolix Loyal Player

The difference between modding Dominance for a healer and a tank is that in tank role Dominance is doubled and usually has a secondary effect, in Fire's case it buffs Health.

Healers typically don't go straight Dom, because the amount granted by SP and mods is to low to out way the usefulness of Resto. But for Tanks, since Dom is doubled and usually has a secondary benefit, Dominance is much more useful in comparison to how useful it is for Healers.
    • Like x 1
  12. TheNumber 2 Well-Known Player

I'm aware of that. I was simply responding to the suggestion that Dom for healers would make a noticeable difference in their healing capability. I was "blindly following" a patch note that never made it to any in-game description (save for a vague "increases potency of some heals" in Dom's description. The main point of my posting was to point out a simple lack in information on powerset descriptions. I am not looking for a green-name to write me a guide on Fire tanking, but a one-line update on non-healer powerset descriptions would be very informative for a lot of misinformed players. Common forum knowledge is NOT common in-game knowledge.

Thanks for your help though
  13. Couze Well-Known Player

At the end of the day the only thing I wish for is a valid way to pull adds and not be forced to wait for counters. With that being said my hopes are for them to release a shield that reflects damage the way inferno/immolation was initially intended. There's nothing fun about being 144 cr and still getting hit by Lashina or lashing claw for 40k+ out of block. I'm not asking to be 100 self reliant even though in a way you are. There's one thing that bothers me with the way the game has evolved. That problem is one that has plagued me since t5. Stunning adds hurts fire tanks. Add on top of the stunning you have to deal with resistances. An add being immune to a tank stun or knockdown because a troll is stupid is downright annoying.

There was once upon a time where I would jump into 10+ add as a fire tank and juggle them forever until they died. Only having to heal myself from the bosses attacks. Now I'm fighting trolls left and right especially in raids like NGN when the burn is slow. You end up with 20 adds on you with no way to cc them and no way to get a breather when you're countered. I feel that there should only be resistance to cc effects if you yourself have done too much cc in the amount of time allowed to effectively juggle. It is ridiculous to have every other tank power have ways to get out of block and move and fire be restricted to having a sensible troll.
  14. lukelucky Devoted Player

I really dont think its about faster rather then lets hope we can burn it down b4 we need to face a machanic. Longer u deal with machanics more likely u die so I think its more advoid machanics then a faster run. It kills me to conserve power or feel the lack of skill points and or experience of the pug solo healer behind me.
  15. Gwendolyn Active Player

This thread was never about how Fire Tanks should tank or what you should spec in. This was design to see if Fire Tanks were going to ever get an update and I want a dev to respond to this. I recall them saying that Fire would get a proper tank update after improving Burning Determination and Stoke Flames. Fire's self heals from burning targets suck, backdraft doesn't heal for every add, and stoke flames and burning determination are the only viable healing powers. If are mechanic is self heals then we need a little more to show for it.

and for those saying Ice doesn't have a mechanic, you are wrong. EVERY tank besides Fire has a viable mechanic.
  16. lukelucky Devoted Player

Our thing as fire is boosted health and healing recieved. Recieved. Yes we can heal ourselves but we get like a % 60 boost to healing recieved

Loche during a shut down 2 ago I believe was asked what powers he ran. Forget the 2 but he said due to complaints about both tanking and dps he switched to fire. So what that leads to who knows but the dev team has heard the complaints and taken a look at it.

Lastly I fire tanked from year one till today. I often rotated through all tanking powers to compare but the last few teirs decided not to spend money to do so. Games gotten to easy and max cr a pipe dream. Our only issue is the bad healers and low power from solo trolls. I was in BD reg and died of 57k damage. How? I have 51k and in between the three attacks to kill me hit burning determination. Under no circumstances should I drop with 2 healers outside a one shot. Not a single burst heal and honestly they probably just spammed heals over time and hopes that gets the job done.

I wish we did however not needed but did have eternal flame cost reduced to % 25. This allows tanks to build it up faster and actually reuse it if the group wipes. Man we could become aggressive then but if fire was left as is it is fine imo. It is an original power and has worked this entire time so kinda hard to say it is not good. Maybe not the style u love but surely good.
    • Like x 1