Would cosmetics in MP really stop the bleeding?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TheArmorsmith, Oct 22, 2015.

1. TheArmorsmith Dedicated Player

Now I was thinking how much money could they really make off cosmetics really think about it. Sure there are people in my opinion arguably over zealous to buy what some would consider overprice items, that's their business but on the most part not many would buy it.

They would have to make new items like that almost every month, and a lot of it too which I do not see them doing it would take too much time away from other things.

Like for example the Batman Cowl (not saying this really happen making up something to explain my point) not everyone like Batman so not everyone would buy the cowl. Selling cosmetics isn't going to stop any bleeding it would just look good for a while.

Lets say they come out with 10 new MP styles within a 2-3 month span you mean to tell me that will replace the RP sales? It will not even be close. The only way I see MP style selling big I mean really big is if those items would have stats in them not just styles.

And we all know if that happens the cry's of pay to win would be loud so that will never happen. I mean imagine a freshly new level 30 buying full T7 gear off the MP even if it was say $30 you would see people buying it up.

So remember if you take nothing else from this is that yes we need more MP styles but its not going to be a big money maker as some think in my opinion. It depends on price, what the styles are, who is willing to buy, and how many items they can release and how often the release it. Look at FF14 their MP is crappy compared to ours with the things you could buy style wise. We have more styles in ours.

If you think the MP is a good way to surpass RP's say why if you think there is a better way to go that don't depend on a quick fix then let it be known.

-Remember this is all an opinion probably like most of the answers I will see nothing wrong with that.
    Armorsmith
    • Like x 2
  2. SpicyMoonlight Devoted Player

I think if they sold more trinkets that didn't disappear like the SM ones people would buy.

Only problem is it would kind of take away the novelty of the Joker Blimp and Bat Drone.
    • Like x 1
  3. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Yes but as someone mentioned the other day, the boat may have already sailed.

Replay badges are only relevant to end game players. Of the 24m+ characters that exist in DCUO, only 2m are eligible for end game content which is less than 10% of characters over all.

Vanity items, however, are not so limited. They target literally every player that ever steps foot into DCUO, whether or not they choose to stay.

One might argue that replay badges are free revenue as there's no cost involved in making them, but I disagree. If there is no content and no reward to work towards, then there is no reason to use replay badges. Therefore a continuous cycle of new content and rewards are essential to ensure that replay badges generate enough revenue. It's a lot more expensive to produce and maintain content than it is to create a vanity product.

Sure, the developers are required to produce new styles constantly, too, but that shouldn't be an issue, seeing as they currently produce 2 new styles every episode and give them away for free, in addition to the full sets of gear and base items they give away for free with the content, too.

Another flaw in the model is that DLCs, which is the most expensive product they make, can be skipped and ignored entirely by the player base. They produced Episode 15, 16 and 17 as part of a cycle, yet you only need 1 to make it past the cycle. Which means that 66% of all content they ever produce is a complete waste of time and money once it isn't the newest, most current episode, any more. People will skip Episode 15 and 17 in favour of episode 16 which features an alert, access to vendor gear and a cheaper, easier instance to spam and skip the cycle through.

The reason why the boat may have already sailed is because this game's past it's prime now. It's never going to pull the huge numbers it used to, any more. Most of those 24m characters are dead characters now and the likelihood of them generating another 24m from more new, unique players is slim. That's why it might be too late. But still, it's worth trying.

The developers are their own worst enemy though. 4+ years they've ignored the marketplace and when they finally do pay attention and focus on it, they make stupid decisions like the single aquarium at 500MC and Batman's cowl for $20. Expensive and out of reach of most players. Who's going to want to spend that sort of cash on styles, when you can buy full games for a similar price?
    • Like x 5
  4. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I disagree. It would have zero effect on those items. The only way that would happen is if they released the exact same items again, which I wouldn't want or condone. You can never have too many vanity products.

In fact, you should aim for "too many" because people have different tastes and what someone finds incredible, another person would find stupid and dumb. Target all markets.
    • Like x 5
  5. lukelucky Devoted Player

Building the sub carriers population is the only way. Here in lies the rub. Those of us who have subbed and played for years cant have the best gear we use to be anle to control when we got it. Then there's is no real challange what so ever. Ok u fair as there is a little challenge, but very little and if um was, oh its been nerfed so.............

Google why so y sold S.O.E. clearly states divisions deemed not valueable as cutting the fat. Also says they mkved away from soe necause of profits and mention leaving the planned sub based to f2p.

Build sub based community or sink imo. This game lives and dies on one thing. REPEAT BUISNESS so for me ill take $10/month vs $4 if u dont skip content.

2nd armory as a perk would be a great draw. Js.
  6. TheArmorsmith Dedicated Player

All that's true...like you said the Dev's pretty much shot themselves in the foot by waiting too long. And i feel that for those who think the MP selling styles well help the game...I think it will only help small cuts not a large cut. They are relying on RP's too much and one day that will bite them I can feel it. If something makes enough current players stop subbing and buying replays what are their plan then?
    • Like x 1
  7. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

I think what would help greatly with subs is going for a model similar to DDO, as in, f2p/premium has access to all the game, but not all the content, this is:

f2p/premium can go from T1 to T7, but can't run all the missions.

i.e:
    A free or premium player without the T7 content, could still run HH for free, but it would be the only mission out of the 12 available T7 runs, this would help with "retention", since players can still play the "whole game" and lately would encourage either subs or episode purchases (this through time investment principle), i know* it works because as i said, it's the bussiness DDO took, and that game has been around for 10 years.

Replays are a "must stay" object, now that they have been brought into existence, however, improving the loot drops will cause less bitterness in the playerbase and many people would remove their tinfoil hats, that being said, Mepps did say they intend to fix that, so i guess we'll see.

Lastly, i think giving access to the whole content in the form of a teleport or a walk-in would give higher tiers "something to do" while not needing an entire 8 man, which atm deters many of us from helping new players anymore (getting low lvl groups is a pain), thus contributing to the "feel" of getting our money's worth, as someone stated in another thread, players sometimes feel like paying the sub becomes pointless when you can't really do a lot and could perfectly use that money in another entire game.

So well, those would be my inputs. :D

i know*: This "i know" is based solely on my observation from the game's endurance and decent playerbase after 10 years, this in no way means i know actual numbers so it could indeed be a flawed argument
  8. Tannen Committed Player

Vanity items would not curb rb sales at all. It would just add more gold to the mp treasure hoard
  9. kawe Loyal Player

I would by styles and vanity items, IF THEY ARE REASONABLY PRICE (caps because I caps)

Whiel I would buy th ebats cowl, the price is insane. Even the Bombshel hairstyle set is a bit overpriced, but at least on th etop edge of th eresonable line in my eyes. Of course it all depends on opinions, what is resonable etc. But some prices just simply scream NO.

I'd pay 2bucks for hair style. I'd pay 10 bucks for a pengobt pet in SM style/or lair pet (... just kidding, I'd pay 100. : >)
    The base items are a total flop for me too. They are either already thrash base items we drown in, or are overpiced. A rare aquarium is rare, but it still will only sit in my base that only my friends will see it, maybe. While hairstlyes are visible where ever you go. Base items shouldn't be priced like character styles.
    • Like x 1
  10. Anima Committed Player

If they would just give me my slutty Valentine's lingerie already...
    • Like x 1
  11. Mighty Hyperion Committed Player

If they released Dr Fates legs/waist, or real bracers and charged $10, I would most definitely buy them. I think they could make a killing off offering great styles (of course a fair price would be awesome too).
    • Like x 1
  12. AverageJoe Dedicated Player

I could see that working I mean like they did with the legends offer like a week or a month or one free raid, duo, solo, and alert for each tier to give people a taste of what they are missing.
  13. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

I'd suggest just one run per tier, mostly two if it needs be, giving 4 out of twelve would have an adverse effect, this is just an opinion though, not like i've run any research hehehe *pushes a well documented research folder out of sight*
    • Like x 1
  14. Nightcrawler Legionnaire

Here's where I suggested Superman/Lex and Wonder Woman/Circe skinned versions of these great trinkets.
  15. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

It just depends really. I think they've definitely missed the maximum potential. I don't think it's entirely unsalvageable, though.

Replay badges aren't the problem, really. It's just the way they're being utilised which is the issue. Replay badges have gone from an optional extra to catch up to a ticket on the loot lottery and if you don't partake, you're not going to stand a realistic chance of completing full sets of the best gear before the gear becomes irrelevant.

I feel as though a huge misconception is that replay badge sales will suddenly die if the system goes to a non-random distribution of the best rewards. It wouldn't. The same people who use them today would use them on a fair, non-random system, too. It would also open up the usage to a whole new audience, who currently refuse to spend any replay badges on the loot lottery. Sales would either go up or at the very least balance out and remain the same.

Plus, as there'd be a longer grind, it would keep players interests for longer, which means they're likely to keep their subscription longer or continue to purchase all DLCs for access to additional marks. That means they'll be considered an active player when the developers throw out stuff such as new Legends characters and new vanity products, even new Booster Bundles. You can't sell stuff like that to your player base if your player base aren't there due to boredom.
    • Like x 3
  16. Minnion Devoted Player

Subscriptions aren't the only source of repeat business though.... Any premium player who has reached end game is also a repeat customer... Perhaps focusing on retaining your entire playerbase while providing a good exsperiance for ALL of your paying repeat customers would do much to increase player retention... Oh and while you're at it, work on demolishing those walls that keep your player-base from playing with each other. Your customers would be much happier with the faster Que times.
    • Like x 1
  17. Crimson Veil Dedicated Player

I almost think they should move away from the "redeemable on all toons" for MP styles/vanity items. They should go the way Armories are and be a consumable account bound style. for instance 1 bat cowl would be 2 dollars, a five pack would be 9, and a 10 pack would be 16 or something like that. That way they can sell to all levels of buyers.....from the penny pinchers (like me) to the whales. ;)
    • Like x 2
  18. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

You negletced Ppl Use Replays For Feats. Hell I have 3 toons 150 sp^ all bought. Ik red Jenni has his toons at 200^. A friend of mine 190^. Wouldn't that factor into replay sales?
  19. TheArmorsmith Dedicated Player

correct I play FF14 they are cross play with PC players....half my FC on there are mainly PC players...I didn't even realize it being on PS. Lol it is annoying on the chat system there its get confusing at times when you have to press like 3-4 buttons just to say hi....
  20. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Probably, although I'm sure they can differentiate the difference between unlocked feats and unlocked loot.

Besides, if you're unlocking feats for alts, then chances are you're an end-game player anyway and part of that 80k characters eligible for T7 content.