The wisdom thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by IIThe QuestionII, Sep 7, 2015.

1. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

Ok, not sure if this thread will live, but i'll try.
    During my life in DCUO ad the forums i've met some people who have shared their thoughts and i've found them to be quite wise.
    So the point of this thread is to share those "pearls" of wisdom we like, along with maybe a brief explanation/POV, maybe share an anecdote that made us wiser, who knows, maybe we can learn something of each other?

Something like this:

1.- "Friends make the worst enemies" - Not sure where i heard this, but i recall it struck me, we sometimes go through life thinking our friends hold our own beliefs and loyalty, and when this fails, a one time friend can turn into a powerful enemy, after all, who knows us better than our friends?

2.-"A chain's strenght is its weakest link" - When assembling a team (work, play, sports, etc) keep in mind that any team can only perform as good as its weakest member, whatever it is you are doing, remember that no matter how awesome your team is, you will all in some extent need to make up for the lacks of each other, so demand the best. (But also give your best).

3.-"Never punch without a target" - Many people go through life "flexing muscles" at everything and everyone as if everything was a reason to fight, (Giving fingers in the traffic, getting up to peoples faces , making promises that aren't even needed, etc.) and when the sh*t hits the fan, they are the first ones to fall or run, either because they were all show or because they are worn down, don't look for a conflict in everything, but stay sharp, and if you need to hit, hit hard. (again, this isn't just about actual hitting, but also applies to everyday life)

4.-"Don't give a hand if you too are hanging from a ledge" - This was a hard lesson a boss explained to me once i almost get my job stolen :S she explained it to me this way:
    • If you are hanging from a ledge next to someone, and you help him up, you need to use one of your hands and you may both fall, even if he makes it up, there's no guarantee that he will help you up, he may leave or even kick you down.
    • If you are standing in the ledge, you can give that person a hand, but be ready in case once up, he tries to throw you down.
    • If you are safely fixed to a harness, then feel free to help as many people as you can, as long as you keep an eye for the integrity of your support.
    This basically means that you can never be sure that a favor will return, and some people live by running over anyone they can, so never leave yourself open if you can help it, regardless of who you think that person may be.

5.- Asume good can only come from you - This means never to count on the good coming from anyone else, appreciate it if it comes, but don't rely on it, the fact that you would do something in a certain way doesn't mean everyone would or should, so if you want things to be fair, seize the situation. The only way to guarantee something will be done fair, is to be the guy in charge of doing it.
    • Like x 1
  2. dngnb8 Devoted Player

There is wisdom, and then, there is wisdumb
    • Like x 2
  3. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Emma. Watson.
    • Like x 1
  4. DoctorSyndrome Dedicated Player

ummmm..................Don't do drugs.......................
  5. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

Truer words have never been spoken
    • Like x 2
  6. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

'Life is but a test... for the Dead' Everyone who lives, used to be dead, they are giving a chance at life to learn, what they learn is the basis for the test at the end of their life, only they know the answer because only they make the test
  7. BigAl Devoted Player

An old league mate said something along the lines of "if your kill streak is high then you are killing things." We cracked up for days about it and still get a good chuckle from time to time when we bring it up.
    • Like x 1
  8. The 14th Doctor Dedicated Player

Not so much wisdom, but a recovery of an old saying that has been lost in time:
    Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back: Basically, be curious, ask questions, because no matter how difficult it is or how stupid you might seem, the redemption of knowing far outweighs the consequences of the quest for knowledge.
    • Like x 2
  9. Grvv Redwig Well-Known Player

Wisdom is approaching a word wall and listening to the dramatic music that follows..
    Heres a link for clarity
  10. buddah Well-Known Player

Don't eat yellow snow.
  11. CHUD Loyal Player

Don't smoke dope if you're already stoned. You'll only get lower once your high.

There is no sex in the champagne room. NONE!!!!

Drink beer......often.

Don't trust anybody over 30,....until you're 30. When you're 30,....trust nobody over 40.....until you're 40. When you're 40.....trust nobody over 50 until you're 50. I think you see the pattern.

Cornbread. Ain't nothin' wrong with that.

Here's a horoscope for everybody.....
    Leo....you're gonna die.
    Capricorn,.....you're gonna die.
    Pieces....you're gonna die in a pool of water.
    Gemini....you're gonna die twice.
    Scorpio....you're gonna die while doin' it.
  12. Owl Devoted Player

1. Never test the depth of the water with both feet
    2. The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
    3. The more you say, the less people remember
    4. Never ask a barber if he thinks you need a haircut
    5. Silence is sometimes the best answer
    6. Never do card tricks for the group you play poker with
    7. If you can't make it good, make it LOOK good
    8. Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else
    9. Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot
    10. Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot
    11. Death is hereditary
    12. Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
    13. Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it
    14. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried
    15. When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water
    16. Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them
    17. Success always occurs in private and failure in full view
    18. A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory
    19. When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane and going the wrong way
    20. Living on Earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free Trip around the Sun
    21. If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously over looked something
    22. Almost half the people you know are below average
    23. If you aren't making waves, the you aren't kicking hard enough
    24. Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you
    25. If all else fails ... lower your standards
    26. Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of
    27. Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener
    28. A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
    29. A woman marries a man expecting he will change, but he doesn't. A man marries a woman expecting that she won't change, and she does.
    30. A wife has the last word in any argument. Anything a husband says after that is the beginning of a new argument.
    31. There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.
    32. For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism
    33. When you're right, no one remembers. When you're wrong, no one forgets.
    34. Insanity is hereditary ... you get it from your kids
    35. Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.
    36. Get a new car for your spouse - it'll be a great trade!
    37. Do not corner something that you know is meaner than you
    38. When you wallow with pigs, expect to get dirty
    39. If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging
    40. Always drink upstream from the herd
    41. Letting the cat out of the bag is a whole lot easier than putting it back in
    42. Middle age is when your age starts to show around your middle
    43. 100% of all smokers die. So do 100% of all non-smokers.
    44. A smart man covers his butt, a wise man leaves his pants on.
    45. A bank is a place that will lend you money, if you can prove that you don’t need it.
    46. If you can’t convince them, confuse them
    47. Friends may come and go, but enemies tend to accumulate
    48. Good judgment comes from bad experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment
    49. It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others
    50. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
    • Like x 2
  13. Malachyte Devoted Player

Don't expect anything from anyone that you wouldn't be willing to do yourself.
  14. BigAl Devoted Player

15. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

“Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise; seek what they sought.” ― Matsuo Bashō
    • Like x 1
  16. Zuse Loyal Player

If you want wisdom here is something my father said

If my job was cleaning the street, my part of the street would be the cleanest.
  17. CHUD Loyal Player

18. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

19. Ninja'd Dedicated Player

A wise person can not only learn from his mistakes, but claim responsibility for them as well.
  20. CHUD Loyal Player

Sagittarius.....you're gonna die.