Bad luck counter broken !?!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by xpoipoix, Sep 4, 2015.

1. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

Always select the first piece of gear if you get 112, do not select the base item or the extra mark. When I do this, I get a rare piece or a 119 more often. The first two days I selected the mark or base item. Come to find out, just by selecting the gear I may not need, I improved my odds with better drops. It is disappointing that best gear is random and not in vendor or gear we can make. That is where I have an issue.

Now if vendor and drop rare gear had the same CR level with drop rare having better stats, I bet we would be still be complaining about the drop rate but we would at least know that we can obtain the same CR buying the vendor gear.
  2. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

The drop system is causing some confusion in game. Time for the developer to step forward and explain it in simple words. Explain how solo, duo, alert and raid drops work. Does one affect the other, does taking the extra mark, base item, mod, plan or etc impact the rare drop rate.

Also, in addition to going into simple words and in detail about the drop system, can we please get the % chance of a rare item dropping with the % increase when we do not get one.

At this point in time the community wants the developers and DBG to be transparent with the loot system and how it works in detail.

By providing this we as a community would have a better understanding of the system, and maybe we can make some recommendation based on how we have seen it working from our experience.
    • Like x 3
  3. Jinti Level 30

I ran DC Normal four times and DC Elite eight times before I finally got the first piece of level 123 gear.

The problem is that rare drops from older missions reset the bad luck counter. Low level rare drops are often useless. They should not reset the counter for high level rare drops.

Dear developers, please make a separate bad luck counter for each level of rare gear. :)
  4. Msstat1c Committed Player

Boy, there is some serious grown up talk in here about how the "what-have-you" counter works and which gear will reset said counter...... Perhaps I'm too simple for this (starting to think that's a good thing). I know the idea is to grab the uber gear, but don't let it kill your fun , or your replay badges for that matter. If you are "blasting" through the content, as I read in someone's post, you're probably okay in terms of your gear so just take it as it comes. You'll have another chance tomorrow to get you a piece of that elite pie. Until then, just play. Eventually, and not a moment sooner, you will have what you covet.
  5. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Absolutely no chance. Definitely not the drop rates.

In the developers eyes there is no problem. People are getting rare drops and people are continuously blowing replay badges on trying to get those rare drops. It's working exactly as they intend it to.

All they see the complaints on the forums as is "I didn't get what I wanted so I'm going to cry on the forums". The sad thing is, for the most part, it's true. Because all it'll take is for Mepps to post "Hotfix - Increased the drop rates on 123 gear slightly" and most of those people will be happy and completely amnesic to the bad times.
    • Like x 5
  6. Miss Adora Loyal Player

I agree, I know I don't have to but I decided to chance this time for replay badges on the elite alert, which seems to reset once a week....blah. I guess after running a few times, finally got 1 elite gear piece. But the rest of the time all 112 for the most part, rarely 119 or 123 weapon.
  7. The Anxient Loyal Player

Unfortunately the only way I see that happening is if people quit burning replays on chasing the gear. This won't happen bc there are many people who will replay content to death no matter how bad the drops are
    • Like x 3
  8. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

They've already given us the drop rates (at least for the system prior to the luck system implementation). I suspect they reduced the rates a bit with the luck system in play. I have no way of confirming that suspicion, but it seems like it based on some posts. It would also make sense from a design point of view since the luck system will, to some degree, increase people's chances of getting gear too fast.

Prior to the luck system: rare gear dropped 1 in 6 bosses. I suspect it is now 1 in 7 or 1 in 8, but it could still be 1 in 6.
    • Like x 1
  9. Stark23 Committed Player

The only people who are confused are those who don't take the time to read. There's been plenty of info regarding the questions posed.
    • Like x 1
  10. SpicyMoonlight Devoted Player

It's a simple equation:

Bad luck+ (RNG*Replays*$) -tears = loot
    • Like x 1
  11. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Yep. It's also not going to happen because players can unlock content for each other, too. Need to raise a few million in game? Buy some replay badges and sell, sell, sell. Honestly, it's a waste of time even discussing it really, because we're fighting a losing battle.

It reminds me of that scene in Batman Forever, where Val Kilmer is at the Circus and Two Face is threatening to blow it up unless Batman reveals himself. Val stands up and starts yelling "I'm Batman!" but nobody can hear him because of all the noise and ruckus. That's what it feels like most the time in this one-sided debate. Once you've waded through all the sympathisers to the system, you're then left facing the Devs and DCUO business model juggernaut. It's a waste of time. Yet we continue.

I wonder if I'll be a martyr some day.
    • Like x 3
  12. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

When was this?
  13. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

In the work in progress thread for improvements to the loot system. 90% of people receive rare gear within 6 boss fights. If the majority of people are receiving gear within so many boss fights, it would make sense that the probability reflects people receiving that gear after that many boss fights. It may not be exactly 1 in 6, but it's probably very close. Might be 15% instead of 16.6666%.

Again, the above reflects the system before a bad luck counter was implemented. I have no idea if they changed the initial drop rate or not.
  14. CaptainColdilocks Dedicated Player

There no way the drop rate is 1 in 8 in the new elite alert. I ran it for 50 bosses before I said I'm not spending another penny. In those 50 boss fights, I have seen 2 rare pieces. So... Try 1-25?
    • Like x 1
  15. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

That's just an estimate though. I was responding to MEBengalsFan's request for drop rate in the interest of transparency. Those numbers weren't actual figures. Just averages. Any mathematics performed using those numbers will result in an answer which is merely an estimate.
  16. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

I do not replay content as I feel it is like playing the lottery. You lose more times than win. That is why I use my replays on buying feats or running content where the reward is transparent. Such as the duo or solo when new trash gear is released if it is equal to or better than the gear I have on the character at that time.
    • Like x 1
  17. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Sure, but Bayes' Rule/Theorem would apply to show that there is a correlation, and it would show that the probability of getting a drop used to be between 14% and 17%
  18. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Because you're everyone in the game? No, we need a larger sample size than just you to determine the drop rate.
    • Like x 1
  19. FESTER665 Devoted Player

I used to love replays because I only really get to play on weekends so I could keep up with others from the league, now that I've been away for a few weeks and can take a step back, it's pretty obvious how they're using replays.

For giggles I just signed on for the first time in weeks, seeing 0 league members signed on at noon on a weekend was depressing.

My older brother used to call me the DCUO white knight because I would blindly support the devs on almost everything they did. Now I see what he meant, but the majority of the people I see defending now are also round table members or those with what I would consider "connections" to the developers...

Maybe I'll log on just to give away replays by resetting for everyone...

Wait, it really changes that term to rational person? I can't use term white (opposite of daytime) ?!?!
    • Like x 2
  20. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Indeed but your rebuttal was commenting on my comments, which were in direct response to the original posters call for exact percentiles on the drop rates, which simply isn't going to happen.
    • Like x 1