Was DCUO really every that good?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by CameroWings, Aug 25, 2015.

1. CameroWings New Player

I know I may catch fire for this be here goes anyway. I've played this game on PS3 since it went f2p in 2011. I think it won an award for best f2p or something about bounce back I'm not sure. I've been doing research on the game and what people and critics thing of the game since 2011. The game average a score out of 10 a 5.5., the highest being a 7.5 out of 10 I've see, which means it is seen as an above average game, but since 2015 this game scores have dropped to 3.5. The critics have given the game higher scores than the players. From what I've also seen as well, and its is the players scores I take more in account than the critics since we are more invested in the game. Some players have given answer like this for this game

" The premise of the game seems fun you get to be a superhero or villian but the missions are repetitive and boring and it seems like a slow grindfest to level up."

"Game Trailers were so Cool but I have downloaded the game and Graphic sucks for next generation .....
    I don't know why , but it seems that we get a lot of superhero games with poor Game Playss. "

"The leveling process is the most fun, which can be done in one day. All end game content is boring, repetitive, and way too easy. Every dlc is a testament to unrealized potential.
    The community (including the current SOE community manager for dcuo) is even worse than the actual game. The community manager revels in threatening posters on the forums. If they make a complaint about something, he threatens to make it worse. He used the words "be careful what you wish for" while twisting the words of a poster. Google "dcuo forum the current prestige cap isn't going to work" the green name on the third page of the thread to see the way he manages the community he was hired to manage. "Be careful what you wish for..." and he made good on that threat, the very next game update addressed the issue at hand in the most sadistic way imaginable.
    The devs used to know what they were doing, but recently they've been adding boring and monotonous game mechanics that cater to three-year-olds and then the devs (especially the current creative director) openly insult their customers in the game's forums. Every week they make a new decision that is a deal breaker for people who used to be fanboys of the game.
    If you start playing it and you enjoy it, it will be a completely different game within a year. If you decide to pick it up and you love the game, the question in the back of your head should be: How long until they introduce my deal breaker to the game? Because players that were at one point the biggest supporters and fanboys of this game are now leaving en masse (I used to love this game and said many times I'd be playing this game till the servers shutdown). Right now the universally decided most obnoxious fanboy for this game is fuming about the most recent changes, other forumites are trolling him reminding him of how he previously always said the devs are always right, and telling him he could never make good on his threat to quit the game because he has previously proclaimed that his league is like family and he loves them. Will they lose that prominent fanboy? Only time will tell, but this one is definitely gone.
    Check out the dcuo forums and I can almost guarantee you'll see long time players begging the devs not to introduce some bull crud mechanic that will destroy the fun of the game.
    The game is buggy and you disconnect a lot, but for a longtime I convinced myself that all games will be buggy and glitchy and kick me out from time to time, it's the willful decisions that the devs make to dumb down the game and their constant underestimation of their players' intelligence and skill that got me to quit playing what was my favorite game for two years."

All of these are from players and range from 2013-2015. So the reputation of the have been damage by word of mouth also the game isn't helping itself with latest GU's and past promises not being answered. I'm not trying to bash the game it doesn't need help with that. I want people to see that the game has been for years precieved as an ok game. Most of the game past success has not been because of the dev's putting a epic product out but because of us the players telling our friends and family hey try this game its cool, we are the ones that have keep this game going, they just benefit from the fact that we are supporting the game. This game has potential and has wasted it because of reason, maybe developmental issues or legal or staffing and budget I get that. Can the game be better yes. The question is can it be? Right now the dev's have lost the trust of many right or wrong that is the view of many. I've not up to me to or anyone on the forums to make others regain trust in them it is their jobs to do so and the product now isn't even matching the past and to me it wasn't epic to begin with. I play because I see the potential I can't say why you other there is playing or you...yeah you with the flash t-shirt in the dark lit room with your headphones on telling why someone should switch to DPS in a duo....They did say we can play our way....so when will that begin I wonder?
    • Like x 1
  2. Solmes202 Loyal Player

Let's say that the game was better than it is now. In my opinion, there was a time when DCUO was an engaging and fun place to be. perfect? Never, but at it's best pretty good.

Direction was lost and I believe so was internal support for the game. It began to lose resources.

The problem today is that there are alternatives in the MMO genre on next gen consoles, so problems DCUO could get away with in the past are now costing them players.
    • Like x 9
  3. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

It is a dark day indeed when Solmes202 loses hope :( *puts on hat only so he can be able to take it off and hold it to his chest*.

But i have to say DCUO was awesomely good back when you actually felt like playing a superhero and when you could play with your loadout instead of looking for the loadout's recipe. They've tried to cater to casual players but they have gone too far... missing the fact that its actually "hardcore" players who give life to the subscription side of the game, yet, each time more, it starts to feel like a "get online, do the raids and come back next week" sort of thing...

RPs and respec tokens seem to be the star product now but even that will get to a point where it loses the fun and becomes another chore...or there wont be enough not FoTMs to play supports...i honestly don't know who've been making "those" choices...but if he thinks he's doing a good job...he isn't. Only reason game still stands is because it has some loyal players and also a bit of Mr.Magoo luck...but how long will it last?
    • Like x 6
  4. Derio 15000 Post Club

DCUO was the best. It was the top and best MMO on PS for 2 whole years. In that time devs created some great content that utilized every aspect of the game. But as time went on there was a combination of lies, glitches, replay badge abuse, and power buffs, several bugs and untimely responses to game downtime, problems , etc.

So to answer your question, Yes DCUO was really good, the best infact that other MMOs copied and perfected its tactics. Now it is but a sad home placing 4th in the top 5 MMO's for PS.

Many still believe DCUO will rise again to take the throne. While others think there is no coming back from the damage of GU47.
    • Like x 9
  5. Saami Loyal Player

Take a best possible GU for every area (combat, population, content, loot etc...). Mix them together and you have a danm fine game.
    Unfortunately that never happened, but usually things were changed to worse.
    • Like x 1
  6. Xenia B Well-Known Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  7. Antwoman Dedicated Player

I don't mean no disrespect but being known for being the best MMO on the PS for 2 years isn't much to praise about since there wasn't much to PS MMO's I mean freerealms really lol.I have a Japanese account as well and let me tell you if we are comparing MMO's on the Japanese as well then DCUO isn't tops. even then. plus I thin kthe company got content at being number "1" on consoles when they should have been aiming for number 1 overall.
    • Like x 7
  8. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

In my 2 years experience I see one GU pretty much wiping a good portion of the game population each year. I was told when I first started that the update that included OC hit the game hard. GU36 hit the game hard and GU47 hit the game hard. So maybe in 2016 our next update will impact
    • Like x 1
  9. Veritasum Loyal Player

The game is far from perfect and there are legitimate concerns. But you say that you listen to the player base critiques more. But which of the two above player quotes do you listen to? IMO, these are polar opposites of view points. And so if you were a developer or manager, what would you do to alter the perception of both those players?

And that is the problem with these forums. Everyone claims that everyone they know and speak to think the way they do and so the game should do XYZ. But then there's another thread with a complete opposite view claiming everyone they know and speak to think as they do.

The rest of the quotes seem personal and taken way out of context. I know the "be careful what you wish for" thread they speak of and it's far from getting butt hurt IMO.

Let the devs do their job and keep things contructive. Unfortunately, how many communicate on here would definitely make me ignore them.

I get the point of the thread and I'm veering off a little, but my point is which players do you listen to that would actually raise those scores?
    • Like x 8
  10. Owl Devoted Player

Can you name any better Free To Play PS3 MMOs?

Can you name any 2011 PS3 game that is still generating significant revenue in 2015?
    • Like x 1
  11. Circe New Player

The game was horrid on PS3. Hand of Fate was a mess, yet somehow I still wanted to play the content.

Today, I don't give diddlysquat about new content and I let my sub go. And I have PS4.

Funny thing is, if I had a better PC I wouldn't even be thinking about DCUO ever.
    • Like x 2
  12. Derio 15000 Post Club

Defiance( PS3). Also if you are looking at only PS3 MMO's FFXIV is still on the PS3 even though its not F2P. But word is Defiance is still hanging in there with their marketplace and is F2P on the PS3.
    • Like x 3
  13. MuTeDx Committed Player

If they want this game to stay alive then the next 3 updates needs to finish off dps balancing, we are 50 updates in and thus game it's worse now than it was at gu35. Support roles aren't even in the back seat anymore, we were left at the playground while the devs ride dps around the corner again and again to keep them from crying. If the devs really want their players back they know what needs to be done but because casuals buy respecs left and right, those decisions will never be made. This game was great pre-replays, Ebert since the inception of replays it has been a deep slope of "buy replays or don't the gear" the "elite" raids are direct proof that the replay paywall exists even for legendary members. There should be no replays this game, it should be designed around daily grind not 1 week of replay purging.
    • Like x 2
  14. Avian Dedicated Player

When you quote something remember to write down where you have it from and link to it if possible, just makes your post and arguement more credibility.

Anyway, this game has a lot of issues and I agree with most of the critique the game gets in reviews. The game is meant to be something everyone can play and enjoy which means that the mechanics aren't going to be very hard because they want children to be able to play it as well. If you are looking for a game that you really want to get into that's challenging where you can spend hours to perfect your skills and master the mechanics so you can compete on really hardcore level then this isn't the game for you.

This game will become a lot more enjoyable if you just stop caring about it so much and accept it for what it is. If you have fun with it then play it and if there is something you don't enjoy leave the game, do/play something else and check back when the next DLC/update hits and see if there is anything there you want to get into. I keep playing because I enjoy playing with the people in my league and the fact that it's a DC game even though I don't believe that the game is using it to anywhere near the full potential (not necessarily the DEVs fault).
    • Like x 3
  15. Owl Devoted Player

Due to poor PS3 console sales, Trion Worlds scrapped its plans to port Defiance to PS4.
    • Like x 1
  16. Derio 15000 Post Club

This is true. Only reason it lasted 2 years though was because it was one of the first to be released on console. After that new MMOs started popping in. But those MMOs didnt take it from its spot until FFXIV came out. Even then DCUO was still on the top until that august of 2013.

In a way you could say DCUO was overconfident in itself on the PS. Not fearing competition until Destiny and ESO arrived which made them rethink and go the monthly route. Aiming for #1 overall is just not possible since you have WoW leading that race on the PC side.
    • Like x 3
  17. Dezaras Loyal Player

I have three subscriptions (two on PC, one on PS4) but if it wasn't for my YouTube series I'd probably only have one sub, that I'd probably have ended up cancelling. I enjoy the game but, YouTube aside, there isn't anything that'd keep me hooked permanently.
  18. Antwoman Dedicated Player

19. Derio 15000 Post Club

Yea that made me sad when I found out back in March. But its still a F2P game that can compete with DCUO on the PS3. Well, then again there is Destiny that is a no subscription game but still takes population away from DCUO.
  20. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

this is Aug 2015, but it's also an all-time list.
    • Like x 2