Helping

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MEBegnalsFan, Aug 17, 2015.

1. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

Today running Corrupted Zamaron I noticed the player in there was Quantum and was a bit behind me in damage but was 8 CR higher. I jumped into chat and asked why he was not using the Quantum AM. Simple answer, he had no idea how to use the AM. The player CR was 129. After talking to him and giving him some pointer, a website to go to and giving him a loadout for our run in there we beat it after wiping twice on the 2nd boss.

It felt good helping a player with their power and he was happy to have someone help him. I hope he does respect and updates his loadout. I believe he will be a much better DPS for it long term.

I just hope as players we can do more of this and stop with the vulgar unneeded tells that I have seen and experienced in this game.
    • Like x 11
  2. Solmes202 Loyal Player

Well done! But knowing you I would have expected no less than that sort of great team play. Instead of complaining about "how can a player get to 129 and not know how to play the game" YOU did something about it. Too bad there aren't more people like you out there.
    • Like x 1
  3. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

While that's nice, it would be nicer if it had happened well before he reached that gear level.
    That's where my mixed feelings come in on incentives for higher CR players to go back to old content: it's one thing to go back and teach, it's another to go back and do it for them.
    • Like x 1
  4. Drifting Dreamer Steadfast Player

ME, thank you for being a force for attitude changes! More people need to do this. Just because that person or people you are running with aren't aware of something doesn't mean they are worthless players. Imagine what this game could be if everyone did that. If everyone just took five minutes to talk to the other person and teach and instruct.

I tried to do the same thing yesterday on a Dox PUG. I noticed how everyone was lunging Mr. Stompy McStomperson after he jumped. I explained how the boss worked and the group got it for the most part. Most people stopped lunging him after that.

There's no guide here. No book to tell you what to do. There's no in game help for the more specific elements of the game/power sets/ect. I applaud your efforts, sir!
    [IMG]
    • Like x 3
  5. Backseid Devoted Player

Not to negate your efforts. That was a cool thing to do.

But, for him to be 129 w/o using the AM is... interesting.

Most will/would say "Omg he was carried" blah blah blah. But I dunno. The game is perfectly playable without AMs. I'd even go as far as saying he could very well be a better DPS for not using the AM ,)
    • Like x 1
  6. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

He said he played casually and usually get kicked from groups and felt his damage lacked. I told him about the AM a website that will give him a better loadout than what I could give him given how is power points were allocated during our run.

I give him props for trying to do the best he could without using the AM. The loadout he was using was the old WM Quantum AM though.
    • Like x 4
  7. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

On the contrary, the player in need of help has to want the help, too. I've seen players be offered advice, only to have it thrown back in their faces aggressively, or completely ignored.

I, personally, only help people who want it and ask for it. I find it insulting when people offer advice whether it's wanted or not so I don't go around telling everyone how to play.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, good story. I hope the guy improves. I can understand how he got to such a high CR without knowing his Advanced Mechanic, what with all the carrying (wanted and unwanted) in the earlier tiers. Hard to practice when everyone's obliterating everything for you.
    • Like x 2
  8. Dezaras Loyal Player

Big up for helping a player out. I try to do the same. If I'm able to advise someone then I will. I'm actually teaming with my son right now, I'm passing on what I've learned over the years. Feels good.
    • Like x 1
  9. BigDaddyDru New Player

While I applaud your efforts, always keep yourself in check when it comes to reality:

"Don't mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS"

I'm sure you've heard that saying before. It's a very powerful and such a true statement. Understand that your time is precious and that you cannot help everyone. Noone cares about you as much as you do. Take care of yourself first and if you can, assist others ONLY when they clearly are in need of it.

As always > Stay Competent! ;)
  10. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

Yeah, people fail to realize there are many factors involved, he could (as was this case) be a casual player, he could have been away for a while and just returning recently, he could have just switched powers, etc.
    I do at times rage a lot in here, but also try to explain things and help players improve, I'll also take advice anytime, thank you Mr. ME for being awesome, just hope there were more ppl like that!
    • Like x 1
  11. Solmes202 Loyal Player

Kindness is NEVER weakness. If that has to be explained to you, you'll never get it anyway.
    • Like x 3
  12. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Did he know about WM???

I do have characters that do not use AM.

In some cases.... I prefer to use WM for various reasons.

Was he using WM???
  13. Saami Loyal Player

Helping others is a good thing. +1 to op.
    However sometimes this scoreboard focused dps gameplay really irritates me.
    I would like to try different playstyles. Do oldschool clipping, WM, AM or even mix them, but i really cant because boring and repetititve AM is so overpowered and people are judging you by scorecard damage output.
    • Like x 1
  14. Backseid Devoted Player

First of all, you are NOT using that term correctly.

Second, even if that was the meaning, it is a ****** outlook on life and will get you no where really fast.
  15. Backseid Devoted Player

Mis quote
    • Like x 1
  16. Backseid Devoted Player

You are NOT using that term correctly.

Even if you were, that is a real ****** way to live and will get you no where really fast.

I assume you are really young. In which case, you'll likely grow out of that mindset. If not, well, sorry.
  17. Solmes202 Loyal Player

NP. I totally understand :)
    • Like x 1
  18. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

Last summer I was newly T5 and started to try and dps with my 2nd set of 85 gear from the Trigon duos. I had only been a healer before then, and this was my first dps set of gear. I was using WM and static push over and over, probably running out of power. After the duo the other player, who was electric, took 5-10 minutes to explain the PIs and DoTs to me and walked me through his loadout. I got my 2nd armory for a dps loadout based on his inputs and I still remember his patience and help.
    • Like x 1
  19. Drathmor Unwavering Player

I tried the same thing to a rage DPS in that duo the other day who was completely ignoring his AM not to say that there is any one right way but he was completely ignoring the combos to use the AM and was putting out so little damage that him at 128cr rage couldn't keep the aggro off me at 115cr mental alt I typed in chat to try and help him out a little.
    He had all the moves in his bar as i could see what he was using but seemed clueless on how to use them. I gave a few suggestions on what might help him and was completely ignored and was constantly bombarded by the adds that he couldn't hold due to how little damage he was putting out I was forced to leave and reque to get a league mate to help me get through it because of my so low CR on that toon.

PS. i wasnt being rude or claiming he didnt know how to play or anything aggressively just offering advise
  20. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

I'm glad you feel that way there BigDaddy. But unlike you, I believe in the old saying "You reap what you sow."

By taking the time and being helpful and nice to other, I see that in return more often than not. By acting like you I would be on everyone ignore list. Something I would hate.
    • Like x 1