Screen shots (F9) and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Game Support' started by BumblingB, Aug 13, 2015.

1. BumblingB I got better.

For some reason, my game no longer is capable of taking screen shots ever since I upgraded to Windows 10. At first, I thought it was windowed mode, but full screen doesn't either.

I can do other modes of screenshots, but I want the ability to disable UI when I do.

Anyone else having this problem or know a fix?
  2. Wendy Dragonslayer New Player

I run DC on Windows 7 and I get a crash to desktop when I try to take a screenshot using the F9 or any other custom key. The game crashes began months ago, for no reason. I am now using a screenshot software instead.
  3. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

It is also possible to disable UI during gameplay and then try the print key - at least in windowed mode that should work.

If it is a bug specific to Windows 10, it might be worth creating an issue in the tracker.
  4. BumblingB I got better.

I am aware of disabling the UI, but I want to be able to do it on the fly. I guess I can make an issue, I'll do that later today. On my ipad right now.
  5. Abstrakt Loyal Player

I believe its because the OS it self has the Xbox recording app going i tried the other night to take a screenshot and ended up doing it with this. You can take screenshots Record video and use the Game DVR works good no lag for me so far

To open the Game Bar while playing a game, press Windows Key + G. It will pop up above the game you’re playing. If you press Windows Key + G while Windows thinks you aren’t playing a game, Windows will ask if you really want to open the game bar.
    You may need to be playing the PC game in windowed mode to see the game bar, so try setting your game to windowed mode if you don’t see it.
    The Game bar includes icons for quickly opening the Xbox app, controlling background recording, taking a screenshot, recording a gameplay video, and accessing settings.

http://www.howtogeek.com/219947/how-to-record-pc-gameplay-with-windows-10’s-game-dvr-and-game-bar/
    • Like x 1
  6. BumblingB I got better.

I've played with that, but again, not my preference. I want to be able to hit screen shot, it disable the UI during the shot. I can disable the UI and take a 3rd party shot all I want, but I want to be able to do it as I'm playing. :O
    • Like x 1
  7. BumblingB I got better.

Created that issue. I don't know how useful I am at the moment.
    https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/DC-746
    • Like x 1
  8. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

That could be a hint: What happens when the Xbox recording app is shut down, closed or disabled fro DCUO? Maybe that could make it work again?
    • Like x 1
  9. BumblingB I got better.

I will have to try that when I get home. Possible that it's overwriting it, but I think it has to do with the paths. Which I'll also check when I get home. (IE, it's trying to find the original path and when it's not there, it does nothing instead of making it.)
  10. Zhouz Well-Known Player

I have dcuo in full screen on windows 10 on my desktop (upgraded from windows 7) and i havent had a problem using F9 to screenshot. it saves in my documents > my games > dcuo > screenshots.

i wonder if something is intercepting the f9
  11. BumblingB I got better.

If that was the case, why does the UI blink when I hit it? Wouldn't that prevent it from happening altogether? I feel it's something to do with the writing to disk part.
  12. BigAl Devoted Player

I'm having the same issue. Sent a support ticket on it, no reply yet. And you're right, the screen blinks like its taking the capture, but its not going to the intended location. Unless its being sent somewhere else or if the Xbox app is intercepting it, its missing. I'm not sure how to track the pathing.
    • Like x 1
  13. BumblingB I got better.

YAY! I'm not alone! Add a post to the issue tracker I posted above to show it's happening to more than one person.
  14. BumblingB I got better.

Update with a video example.
  15. BigAl Devoted Player

That's what I'm getting as well, B.

Ticket from GM...
    I understand that you are unable to use the Screenshot function since updating your OS to Windows 10. I am going to go ahead and send your petition to our Tech Support Team so that they may assist further.

Please keep in mind that due to a high number of contacts response times may vary. We answer every ticket as quickly as humanly possible and your patience is appreciated.

I hope you will let us know if you have any other questions or concerns in the future!

Regards,
    GM Kaibler
    • Like x 1
  16. BigAl Devoted Player

I am also noticing that if I change any settings, they are reverted back when I log back in.
  17. BigAl Devoted Player

As for the screen shot dilemma, I received this...
    Response TSR Sean F. via Email 08/17/2015 04:58 PM
    Greetings BigAl1775,

You may want to make backups and then delete the following file:
    <computer name>.dcoprofile
    (NOTE: This could be located in "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\DC Universe Online\DCGame\SaveData" on some systems)

As well as the character files:
    <station account>_CharacterCache (same file location as above)

Next, delete the CONFIG folders under both the DCGAME folder and the ENGINE folders by following these instructions:

1. Open the DC Universe Online LaunchPad. (Do not login at this time.)
    2. Click Advance Tools, Open Game Directory, then close the LaunchPad.
    3. Double-click UNREAL3.
    4. Double-click DCGAME and right-click on CONFIG select Delete.
    5. Double-click SaveData and delete the .dcoprofile file. (NOTE: see backup file location from above if not located in UNREAL3 folder)
    -Backtrack to Step 3.
    6. Double-click ENGINE and right-click CONFIG and select Delete.
    7. Close all open folders and restart DC Universe Online using the LaunchPad to login and play.

If deleting these files does not resolve your issue, you can restore your backed up files and folders and retain your hotkeys, contact lists, and display settings.

Regards,

Sean F.
    Senior Technical Support Representative
    Daybreak Game Company
  18. BumblingB I got better.

Did this work?
  19. BigAl Devoted Player

Lol, didn't try yet. Too lazy. :p
  20. BumblingB I got better.

:(

:p

I've been really busy lately. Haven't played much at all. So doing all that looks like a lot of work if it doesn't fix the problem. lol
    • Like x 1