GU50, Tunso Testing, and Player Testing

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Sore, Jul 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loche Developer

Option 1: people rage over the fact that now they have to play in 7m instead of 12.5
    Option 2: We spend another 6+ months rebalancing, making new animations, and new FX.
    Option 3: He covered that.
  2. Loche Developer

Regardless of what we do. Right now we are working with people to try to do baseline balance first. Then we will look at scaling, then look at the range issue.
    • Like x 4
  3. Sore Steadfast Player

Option 1 rages in two directions. They rage that they feel they have to play in 7m and then make a big stink about how it's not viable. Or, they decide to go the other direction and just fight those bosses at range, raging that they're not doing as much damage out there as they were midrange (nerf) and that it's not as fun to play. At best, people melee and range where viable but it may require armories to get the best results in an instance.
    • Like x 3
  4. ChillCat Loyal Player

So, at best every other power set would be aligned to what Rage (mostly) is today and has been for a while. Is that a fair assessment?
  5. Remander Steadfast Player

If they collapse melee to 7 m, yes. If they decide to embrace midrange (option 2), they have to give all powersets midrange options, then spend weeks to months tuning them.
    • Like x 1
  6. ChillCat Loyal Player

Thanks. To be clear, I wasn't asking as a challenge or a snark. One of my toons is Rage, so if conceptually option 1 would be (sorta) similar to how Rage operates today, I could use my experience with my Rage toon to infer what that would feel like with any powerset, e.g Ice or Sorcery.
  7. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

Why do it have to be complicated? Why can't just buff/nerf powers like they did mental, sorcery, earth in there revamp update? They buffed mental, and nerfed earth and sorcery a day before release. Mid-range has always been a thing, it's not nothing new contrary to what the devs believe, so i don't understand why it would take weeks/months to fix
  8. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

On the contrary, midrange has not always been a thing. In fact, the greater issue here at its core is that not all powersets have midrange powers, much less viable midrange playstyles, more or less because it slipped in without a midrange playstyle as the intent. It's not a situation that can be resolved by moving a few numbers around, as much as we'd all like that to be the case.
    • Like x 2
  9. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

What I'm getting at is that if all white mods are not in place during balancing it's just wasting time
  10. WildcatHunter Committed Player

But in the meantime you guys could do a more practical job of balancing these test you are using to find a baseline are not translating to the game we play. Mental dmg is great live it doesn't need to be buffed before powers that have been buffed but still underperform like earth,sorc,hl,nature,elec
    • Like x 1
  11. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

If you were to ask the population they would disagree. Only powers that have melee range powers are hl, rage, ammunitions, and now nature. I just hope the solution is quick for balance whatever y'all fix is. On a separate note, will melee wm ever get a buff?
    • Like x 1
  12. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

Especially for pet ams, unless they are going to let our pet get the buffs our toons get
  13. Remander Steadfast Player

We're looking at balancing base damage first. Then, scaling with mods can be addressed. It's likely that scaling issues are more complex than raw damage. If you just balance to max modded and buffed, then certain powersets will underperform, when not at that level. The base balance will allow understanding and better adjustment of the scaling issues.
    • Like x 2
  14. Remander Steadfast Player

See my prior post.
  15. ChillCat Loyal Player

This idea is a gross over-simplification of the problem at hand, but would it be easier to adjust WM to operate more effectively in this contested midrange area so the powersets ranges could be left alone. The benefit to players would be a mechanical workaround that enables effective damage at any range, and would encourage power-hungry dps'ers to use their weapoon more often (good news for support roles). The benefit to Devs would be (I think) reduced complication in range balance by focusing on just the WM skills that exist in the weapon trees instead of every power in every powerset.

Again, I'm over simplifying but it might be worth considering.
    • Like x 1
  16. Remander Steadfast Player

All powersets have damage potential within 7 m, but some are better than others. Same with 25 m. That's being balanced through the current testing process.

The issue is with 12.5 m. Not every powerset has viable attacks from that distance. That's midrange, as we players understand it. To make midrange work, all powersets would need to be given midrange options, then all would need to be balanced.
  17. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Semi-off topic...This entire discussion just makes me miss clipping even more. There weren't any issues with distances, just balance and it all stemmed from an imbalance of might and precision that could have very easily been tweaked to avoid what almost assuredly will be 2+ years of balancing and tweaking. From both a player and development standpoint, I always hated Advanced Mechanics and Weapon Mastery for the game.
    • Like x 2
  18. Loche Developer

Doing baseline tests allows us to have a solid foundation to work on. From there we can look at how it is scaling in "live" play. If we try to do both at the same time, we are just setting ourselves up for failure. Right now we have identified some powers that are underperforming at baseline and working to see why. We intend to cycle through those powers first. Then we will take on powers that are overperforming.
    Once we have everything working with out all the major variables, we can move on to scaling.
    Once scaling is done, we can try to solve the distance issue.
    I prefer this method as it builds upon itself every step of the way. Rather than making large changes in a very rapid manner, I have my guys making micro changes in a rapid fashion. We are working closely with players to find out variances and come up with solutions for those variances.
    • Like x 7
  19. Remander Steadfast Player

We don't need WM becoming a balance crutch again.
    • Like x 3
  20. Remander Steadfast Player

I assume you mean the old JC clipping. If so, you know there was more to it than that. That method of clipping was much more advantageous to certain powersets than others. There was no simple fix there.

WM and AM were separate entities, though they did change the way the game is played, for sure.
    • Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.