What Would Get You to PvP More Often?

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by MrMigraine, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Surkilo Well-Known Player

More style out of pvp.
    ALL AM to be taken out of pvp or reduced.
    Give more marks in 8 player pvp.
    More rewards out of pvp bounty.
  2. Ace1 Dedicated Player

Cant believe i forgot to mention this considering this has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time
    • Camera sensitivity: Its not specific to pvp, but this would help tremendously in my opinion of pvp. On the console it feels like turning in wet cement, ok a little exaggerated but you get the idea. I believe on PC the camera turns much faster but i could be wrong.
    • Like x 3
  3. thedemonocus Loyal Player

fair fights

i hate when i am beating on someone forever only to have them heal everything i do to them then i lose because i'm not a heal or tank,it just makes me hate pvp and i see people saying get rid of am and wm well if you do that it will only make healers and tanks that much more impossible to beat,right now the only way to do enough damage to them is to spam am or wm because everything else is healed back instantly

sadly i think the only way to get true balance is to make pvp dps role only and disable healing and only allow sodas then everyone will be on an even playing field
  4. Sir-Ivy Dedicated Player

How would they be measured? Would they be public leaderboards, league based, map based, maybe all of the above?
  5. Sir-Ivy Dedicated Player

Line of sight and targeting could be optimized, flyers have the distinct advantage of being able to avoid LOS entirely forcing you to adjust your camera. I believe adjustable sensitivity is the best route. Players could then tune to their liking.
    • Like x 1
  6. Ljubinka Well-Known Player

Tracking of wins and losses. Yeah, different categories for sure, League based and ofc map based for example W/L ratio for individual player tracking for 4v4 Arenas or Legends, 2v2s, 1v1s, etc. Then the ranking of individual players could also affect the league rankings among other ones. Lets say your league has half of the ppl actively playing PvP and they are ranked high on many different maps, and because of that your league in total get some good ranking based on its % of the ppl involved in in PvP and their leaderboards status.
    Now when u have system like that after lets say 2-3 months of play top 10 Leagues should get some unique and good base items to put in their League Hall and top 10 ranked players could get some unique armor styles, weapon styles or some new auras made just for this purpose.
    I mean look, we have Headlines and Renown option, when was the last time u opened them? I could bet that players would take a peek way more often on Leaderboards rather then headlines and renown. And it shouldnt be super hard to make, its not a gameplay mechanics, its just a menu window similar to League Management one. Or mby im wrong, idk :confused:
    • Like x 1
  7. Venus Void Dedicated Player

That's the only bad idea I've read so far, you shouldn't be able to compete in PvP from running PvE instances, there's ALOT of things they've done wrong for PvP and separate gear sets isn't one of them.

They need to keep immunities, breakouts are still awful but ive given up on that point, return role based buffs and the RPS, remove WM and AMs all together, and scale mark rewards.
  8. Remander Steadfast Player

The only real issue I see in all of this is: money. Let's face it, without loot locks on PvP, there's not much money coming into the game from it. Legends skins are the only things that come to mind. Sure, a lot of these changes would be great, but how does Daybreak monetize them? Why do you think PvP gets so little attention? If you want to improve PvP, you need to come up with ideas that will also make the company money. Otherwise, the focus will always be primarily on PvE.
    • Like x 1
  9. loupblanc Dedicated Player

As far as monetization goes, only thing I can think of is skins.

So there would be unique skins for Legends Characters and unique styles for Pvp gear in Arenas. Perhaps even linking such skins and styles into a Legendary subscription package for Pvp seasons, kinda like the pre-order Batman that people who pre-ordered DCUO got.

So, for the next Pvp season, people who got a Legendary subscription package for a specific number of months would get special skins, and those skins would be available for that season only, and would never ever be available again.
  10. Fies Committed Player

Sounds like a good idea.
    I would include skins that are random drops that require you to run PvP often/successfully. Though it would be important to not split these with "legendary pvp pack" from those without in matchmaking. Thats basically how dota allows to monetize various (even sh!tty) tournaments (skins for paying viewers instead of players ofc) and people tend to spend good amounts on quality "hats" :)

On topic: For me personally PvP is self sufficient and I mainly come here when Im fed up with Dota. What would make me play more often/intensively is !better balancing! in general. Better matchmaking is imo needed too. Im relatively new to "modern" PvP/DCUO (mainly played in 2011/12) and while I understand the concepts and at least can partially execute them Im lacking practice. When I queue randomly for legends I get matched with players who dont know what to do at all 10 times+ in a row and then run into sb like "impervious w." who wipes the floor with me. I probably ruined the fun of those 10 + and said player alltogether as I wasnt a challenge. Though establishing good MM could be hard in DCUO regarding player-numbers vs. skill-differences. Queue times could increase drastically.
    • Like x 1
  11. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

A less broken more balanced game.
    • Like x 1
  12. Remander Steadfast Player

Here's my idea. Hear me out, because it's a little radical.

It's clear that PvE is the money driver in this game. It's also clear that having a PvP-oriented DLC is a fail. Part of the reason is the maps being locked to the DLC. Not enough people will queue to keep the map active.

Most folks don't have, or want to, invest the time to grind up to 4 gear sets per toon. This is assuming we are looking at getting roles back in Arenas. Look on Wavedox at how many players have CR 120+ PvE gear and CR 100 PvP gear. Not many.

OK, here's the idea. Unify PvE and PvP gear. Get rid of Toughness. Give us one mitigation stat: Defense. The Dev team has already shown they have the ability to scale our stats depending on whom we're facing in combat. That should be possible for PvP encounters, both open world and Arenas, as well.

To this end, we would need PvE and PvP gear on the same CR scale. The kicker is this: allow players to gear up through PvE, PvP, or a mixture of both. PvE and PvP would maintain separate marks, and the costs of gear in each would be relative to the time involved with an adjustment to compensate for the fact that PvP has no loot locks or drop gear. PvE and PvP styles and associated feats would be still distinct, so those who actually want to grind both will have incentive to do so. You could grind DPS gear in one, role gear in another, or a mixture in both. It's all up to you.

There's more. Since we'll be having monthly content dropping, there could be a new theme-based PvP map tucked into each monthly episode. For instance, August will bring us a WoL 3 Duo and a DC Bombshells Raid. Put a 2v2 map in there, based on the Oa map. The next episode will have an Alert and a Solo. Put a 4v4 map based on the Alert in there.

Yes, this would require PvPers to purchase PvE content, whether they want to play it or not, (and vice versa) but I think something like that needs to happen to keep PvP advancing at a good pace, instead of these once yearly updates. Keeping Arenas essentially F2P simply isn't going to cut it.

I think these changes would help monetize PvP, help encourage more PvP play in open world and Arenas due to seamless transitions, and reinvigorate PvP in general.

Thoughts?
  13. 478874 Dedicated Player

14. DEMONIZER1 Loyal Player

Well, you have your opinion and I have mine.

By the way I feel your way doesn't fix a damn thing....

IA ARMY
  15. darkscarletx Loyal Player

I pvp sometimes. It is fun sometimes but not all the time. I want the blue immunity to be removed too. It really annoys me the eternity to get back up. My opinion.

Oh and another thing, pvp gears shouldn't be allowed in pve phase.
    Pvp gears for pvp phase and arenas.
    Pve gears for pve phase and pve instance.
    Make this happen devs.
  16. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

I use to enjoy PVP back when roles mattered, gear mattered and AM and WM did not exist. Yeah I stunk it up but at least it was more competitive than it is today. PVP now is a matter of who is able to get the AM off and hope it is not countered and even if you can counter it, you still may die quicker if you did not counter it fast enough.

PVP use to be about knowing what ability to use, basic weapon attacks, when to block or lunge, etc...

Now it is, whoever get the WM or AM off first typically wins. It needs a revampe to bring back roles, remove AM and AM, and make role specific gear.
  17. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

If pvp was fun, a lot of players would past the time between dlc to pvp more, not leave for other games. Imo that should be enough to get pvp going again. I think the devs overall should put content a head of money. It will make a better game.
  18. Remander Steadfast Player

There aren't many successful business models that involve large investments that produce no money. Gambling that simply making PvP more fun will keep people from leaving for other games isn't something I'd do.

There are more people that exclusively PvE than exclusively PvP. It's not like all those PvE folks will all of a sudden PvP, if changes are made. Some might, yes, but many who play this game have absolutely no interest in PvP. Also, keep in mind that content will be coming monthly now, so PvE folks will have more regular release of content to keep them in this game.

You're really looking to keep the exclusive PvP crowd and entice those who play both, but more PvE, to increase their PvP play. I think the only way you get your investment back here is to be able to generate money off it.
    • Like x 2
  19. 478874 Dedicated Player

few simple ideas aimed at eliminating misconceptions and granting accessibility for PvP:

1. One tier of Pvp gear. In Pve, gear tier is extremely important but in Pvp not so much, still that doesn't mean people won't perceive it with the same importance as in pve. Make that tier of gear accessible to all levels of subscription through marks and cash including f2p. The more people who feel as though they have a chance to be competitive, the better for PvP.
    2. Cap skill points at the first level of innates. People want to feel like they have a chance and won't simply be "out-statistic-ed". Again, there are mechanics to help mitigate this and ultimately mastery of the counter system is most important but is not about that, it's about correcting misconceptions, so just cap the skill points and make a tool tip about in the loading screens.
    3. Balance power sets, characters, weapon, ect. Nothing drives people away from all aspect of the game like imbalance, especially imbalance that can be bought and paid for. As long as this is a reputation for the game, PvP will not flourish.
    4. Keep Pve out of arenas. Again the goal here is a level playing field and accessibility. Allowing a t7 trinket or HT mods back in arena is analogous to pay for win in the minds of many players. Pvp should be about the fundamental mastery of the basic combat and group mechanics.
    5. Uncouple block and breakout. There appears to be a permanent issue in this game, especially for the PS side, where either breakout won't work or works much later than normal. This causes players to double tap breakout which results in a counterable mechanic -- block. this block is usually broken and there are certain load out powers and CC effects where this server latency or whatever gets exploited. Nothing enrages players like mechanics that work inconsistently. So instead of continuing to try to fix an issue that appears to be unfixable move the breakout command to a button (perhaps jump) that does not enter a player into a counter mechanic. If a player mashes jump in the case where breakouts aren't working as expect, the worst case scenario is that the player ends up jumping after breaking out instead of subjecting themselves to a counter window. This should cut down on the level of frustration that people have with this game. Getting beaten in a match is one thing, getting beaten in a match because one feels like the mechanics of the game let them down is something else entirely and people hate that.
    6. Fix the invisibility bug.
    The general thought is increased accessibility should lead to increased interest and player base and prospective player. From there, a portion of players should be converted into paying customers because they find the game fun to play. In other words, PvP should be a bit of a loss leader instead of some withered piece of fruit up for one more last squeeze for juice.
    This will be good for PvP and those who are invested in PvP from a player standpoint because it means more people are queuing which inevitably should mean a more competitive, vibrant scene over the long term.
    • Like x 2
  20. Karasawa Loyal Player

I'll have to think about this more, but I'm unsure about it. It's an admirable effort in trying to make PvP more of a moneymaker, but I don't think PvP can be monetized in the same way that PvE can. Adding more PvP maps behind a pay wall splits the queues, and tying PvP gear to monthly episodes will ensure that people will complain about pay2win for the rest of DC's lifecycle.

Looking at successful MOBAs is probably the way to go. I think pitbull may be right in that PvP's role is to keep people logged in the game on a daily basis. There are limits to how well you can do this solely through PvE content, which is why people always get bored between DLCs.