New Mark System

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by dresserball, Jun 17, 2015.

1. dresserball Dedicated Player

First off I like the new system. It is streamlined and works well.

I am tired of all the negative posts about it. I haven't heard one convincing argument to go back to the old system.

I can easily get enough marks for everything I need and more as a end game player.

And if you reply do not say this makes other tier instances not relevant. I mean end game I was so thankful for the MoT I got from T1 stuff, it really made that relevant.

Also I wouldn't want to do T5 raids for rent in post GU47. It takes me less time to just run the vault everyday to get all the marks I need to keep them up.
    • Like x 5
  2. Southbeatz Well-Known Player

I have said my share of positive and negative things about GU47 and the changes to the marks but I will say something about it. I did prefer running a wide variety of content for marks but many of us have gone through older content so much over the years that running it less probably could be a good thing because then it could be more run when running it after having not run it for a while. I'm currently keeping my main at 116CR so that I can run all of the T6 and T7 content for marks.

I do like most of the T5 content a lot but I am quite happy with the T6 and T7 content so I don't mind running it a lot. Since older tier vendor gear can be bought as styles for 10 marks each, that should be I believe 80 marks per complete set of older tier vendor gear for a style feat which isn't bad at all. I'm not thrilled with the vendor that sells alert and raid drop styles for 70 marks each but it is better than having to farm it potentially for months for a style.

Right now I'm mostly checking through anything I may have missed on my character because although it's my main, I only made it a few weeks ago and ended up deciding to run it as my main instead of any of my other alts. Once I finish any style pieces I missed along the way then I'll just move on to getting the T7 gear but until then I'm just trying to have fun with it all. Complaining or letting some of the things the devs screwed up in GU47 just simply will not improve anything in the game.

The devs know about everything people are unhappy with and what people are happy with so that one is up to the devs to deal with. If some people leaves then so be it, but hopefully plenty will stay. I play casually, well really almost randomly because I work for myself and while I can make my own hours I also sometimes need to deal with other things for hours but anyways. A little over 2 weeks to go from level 1 to CR116 with 89SP. I'm working on feats gradually and am not really in any rush there.

I've decided to just enjoy the game and not dwell on anything I may not agree with. If at any point the game no longer appeals to me then it's easy to cancel that monthly sub and uninstall which is much more productive than complaining on forums. I often like to spend 5-10 minutes on here every now and then to see what people are talking about and reply sometimes but anyways I'm off again.

I noticed the game might be down for several hours which sucks because I usually hop on in the mornings to do solo and duo content since I'm often afk on and off then but I suppose that will have to wait until later in the evening.

Far as the change to marks goes... I think the original mark system was ideal but the devs have said it numerous times that they intend to stick with this new marks system so if they do stick to it then everyone will just have to get used to it or move on. With making tiers below our current tier not reward marks, I believe the devs will truly have to deliver on their monthly content releases starting in a couple of months probably. Not all of us will want to log in every day to run the same few T7 instances and then either do nothing, log out or hop on an alt.

I noticed in another thread things regarding events. I think events could be good, if done right and could be done with minimal effort. The events wouldn't need to be anything too major but having more events other than seasonal would be nice.
    • Like x 1
  3. Napoleon Well-Known Player

I enjoy playing lower tier content just for the hell of it and not necessarily for the marks. Unfortunately with the new marks system, it makes it nearly impossible to enter any of those lower tier instances when before the marks conversion, I never waited long in line for queue. Many veteran players have no real incentive anymore to play lower tier content due to no marks reward.

That veteran player with a high CR wont go and make a new alt toon when they can't get into any of the lower tier content considering 50% of the new players who have no idea what the hell they are doing get frustrated, become disinterested and stop playing. That new player wont have many opportunities to receive advice or ever learn the mechanics for certain content or perhaps even getting that friendly reminder to use google from a veteran player.

Everything is great for the end game player who are T5+, but not so much for the new player. I don't understand where they are going to have the money for all this new content when they have less new players subscribing which I can bet you has decreased since update.

I understand why they did it, but I honestly don't think it helps with building the DCUO community.

I am solely going off of what I am experiencing now. Before the conversion update, I always played at a specific time and never had any issues finding a group in /LFG or entering a queue. Now, I can't get into any of them and /LFG has nothing but balls of hay blowing by it. For my league mates? I rarely see many signed on these days.
    • Like x 3
  4. dresserball Dedicated Player

Once again, high CR players never really got any marks from T1-T4. So that players don't play because of no marks is bull. Only T5 did the marks matter and that was only for rent. I mean why would I run T1 instances for marks pre GU47?

So stop with that silly idea, which I addressed earlier.
    • Like x 2
  5. Marine Death Committed Player

Absolutely these threads got to stop. The complaints on the new Mark system really doesn't make sense.

The Dev's got it right.
    • Like x 1
  6. Oriole New Player

Well I can't speak for other vets but wbefore I took a break after GU47 I would run T1-T5 for the the marks because it all added up to me 5 or 500 marks it didn't matter I put it all towards gear things like that not even caring about my rent because I never used it so not all players, and most of my league played like me on marks and that was a 100 or so of us. So people are effected by not getting marks in lower tier. It may not be something you want to hear or believe but it is what is is and you can see the huge drop off in player base since GU47 for what ever reason they feel, to them they feel cheated from getting marks from lower stuff thats their preception and reality to them.
    • Like x 2
  7. Humane Committed Player

The mark change really doesn't affect high tier players. I know it doesn't affect me at all. I had so much MoT stockpiled before the change I never did lower tiered content anyway, the only possible time I would do it was to help a league member gear an alt.
    Base Mods are covered from The Vault alone, so that doesn't really bother me either.
    I think people are overstating things with doom & gloom posts. Is the game slowly dying? In my opinion yes it is, but the key word is slowly, and that could mean years. Until that moment comes, I will continue playing as I have been doing for years now. As much as I complain about certain things, I still love the concept behind the game, and that is the reason I sometimes complain.
  8. UltraVillain Committed Player

The issue is a mechanism that devalues existing game content while effectively reducing player choice and freedom. GU47 introduces serious restriction on what I am able to choose to do to earn my keep, it prejudices my time spent on those areas of the game I find fun ( as they now reward absolutely nothing) while railroading me into content I care less about (thankfully I enjoy NG and the HOP stuff, but the same scenario with the WOL would leave me cold and uninterested in logging in).

It also places enormous pressure on future content as in effect that is set to become the entirety of our experience rather than an expansion or addition to it - the game is both being contracted in terms of where it aims me AND worse denies it any scope to expand going forward (as I will always move within a defined cap and collar of valid content).

There are a number of elements to this game, but not all content is equal, or equally enjoyable - we all have bits we like and bits we like less or not at all even.....this reduces the scope of the player to pick and choose, it denies them the ability to indulge the game in a way they most enjoy and that can only negatively impact on its ability to gain or retain players....an issue that will be felt even by those delighted by the new system.

Edit: Ironically the issue is worse for the people at endgame, who once they hit CR116 progressively lose earning content options with each step. As these are also those likely to have most feat complete the reason for revisiting older content reduce exponentially and the lower tier content suffers a severe reduction in the numbers queuing. Whole regions are left with no reasons for people to visit or engage - an incredible waste of effort and potential.
    • Like x 2
  9. Schimaera Devoted Player

I had sooooo many of them for the mark system with different marks for different tiers before we were drowned in Marks of Triumph. But deaf ears are deaf ears :p Starting with Game Update 18 the replay value of older content for Marks (e.g. to buy certain styles) got reduced more and more.

With the release of AF1 a new character would just skip through everything to Tier 5, run Nexus and Dox once and purchase all the styles.
    Now, you either buy entire sets before you play content of the next tier or you rerun the most recent 12 pieces of content to get older styles once you've reached the end content.
    Nobodies running Deconstruction quests or Central City quests anymore because they don't need the marks from there and for styles they can come back later and farm Sub avatars or purchase the High Voltage set simply from the Vending Unit 00.
    • Like x 1
  10. EP Ice Loyal Player

One of the problems I have with the one mark system is that you have to use those marks for other things other than just vendor gear. If I want to mod my gear and I have an abundance of yellow bits but need red bits then I have to use marks to convert them. Or, if my lair rent doesn't all match up on the same day then I have to use marks to pay for that. Even though it is set to 60 days, one could be 20 days left and the other could be 55 days left and the other could be 10 days left. That all costs the same marks. If they would just add a mark to utilize for that kind of stuff then I would be fine with that. Just my thoughts. :D
  11. Napoleon Well-Known Player

Silly idea? Perhaps. But dresserball, you are missing my point. As to what Oriole said, that is exactly where I'm coming from.
  12. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

Hmm
    • Like x 1