Insta30 token for marketplace

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by CAPn, Jun 1, 2015.

1. CAPn Active Player

What are your opinions on offering either a 15 dollar insta30 or a 30 dollar gear set with the second highest tier available?
  2. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

- Level 30 Booster with CR34 gear box.
    - Level 30 Booster with CR53 gear box.
    - Level 30 Booster with CR70 gear box.
    - Level 30 Booster with CR84 gear box.
    - Level 30 Booster with CR90 gear box.

Player can only purchase one of these once they have at least 1 character which is at the appropriate tier. So a newbie couldn't purchase a CR90 box.

The developers should be taking advantage of player laziness. At the moment, you can rapidly progress through the entire game without spending a penny. A product like this would be the absolute fastest way for a player to gear up which makes it the most attractive and most appealing to those who can't be bothered starting again from scratch.

This product would do no harm to the community if implemented like so and would create a product which doesn't exploit end-game players into spending money.
    • Like x 3
  3. Larfleeze New Player

It also takes substantially longer to hit max level in EQ2 than it does DCUO. It's maybe 10 hours of playtime to go from 1-30 if you've done it a few times and know what to do. Now, it's been a while since I played EQ2, but when I played I stopped at 59 and had 4 days /played (~96 hours).
  4. Larfleeze New Player

You couldn't be more incorrect. A 'instant max level and full t5 gear' store bought thing will be the death of this game. Most people are already bad enough at their roles after slogging through all the content, but if you give them a free ride to current content they're going to be even worse.
    • Like x 1
  5. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Power change tokens are absolutely fine, though, of course...
    • Like x 3
  6. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

Gear boxes are a bad idea, because they increase the potential of a player to not spend even more than the price of the gearbox working their way up the gearing chain.

I can agree with a level 30 exp boost token, so long as the player that will use it already have at least 1 level 30 character on the account, proving they've cleared the solo-campaign/aka tutorial, at least once. As the token would simply grant x amount of exp to push the player into level 30 range, thus opening up those level 30 missions, they'd still contain the journal entries for the starter missions and would be able to complete them for any associated feats when they wish.
  7. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

You can already rapidly progress through the gearing chain without spending a penny. A week or less depending on how much help you can get from people. The recent CR calculation changes made it faster than ever to progress. Especially if you're using vault rings/necks and iconic drops purchased from the Broker.

At least with this product, it'd be the absolute fastest way to level, thus making it an attractive purchase, even to those who know the "secrets" to power levelling. Thus generating the developers a lot more revenue than they get now from those who know what they're doing.
  8. CAPn Active Player

Would it kill the game or keep people from quitting out of sheer boredom due to long que times for older content? Maybe getting people where the action is would increase the population.
    • Like x 2
  9. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Off the top of my head, the reasons I've been against this in the past:
    • opening the door for brand new people to skip huge swaths of perfectly good and challenging content,
    • pay to skip going against the tenet they set up that paid items are only going to be conveniences and vanities to avoid the slippery slope of pay to win ... they feel that replaying content, you still have to play, you just accelerate the rewards (I'm not for them)
    • raising an alt you're supposed to be learning how to play it before level 30 (levelling an acrobatic fire tank is gonna be a different experience than levelling a flight healer in learning how to survive, for instance),
    • avoiding the problems we already have: "I just got this powerset and have no clue, but it's okay, I'm high cr and lotsa sp"
    • Like x 1
  10. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

The only reason they haven't taken steps to limit the trading of those iconic drops is because the vast majority of players cannot afford the items in the broker because of the cash cap, and because most players aren't spending the time to farm them and trade them to alts. The gold necks/rings were originally as bonus for subscribers, but were one step away from being removed entirely, instead having them moved to the vault as rare drops. Again, the vast majority of users do not have every day access to the vault, so this is not an issue for them. Note that they did cease the development of further iconic items past T3's range that were still tradeable. This means, at some point, they saw the weakness in their design and stopped adding to it, without, thankfully, removing the items completely. That can still happen, but we don't want to give them reason to do it. Adding a gear box would give them that reason, as well as reasons to push more people into purchasing gear boxes by tweaking drop rates further. "Having a hard time getting gear? Just buy it!"

It's not the safe bet. The best they can do is get players to level 30 so they can begin playing content at the end-game level, which is where the cash flow comes from. Anything more than this will come with other consequences, and we're back at the risk factor game and what they will/won't do. Again, from the business perspective, this is something they can do safely without looking at their other marketplace items as becoming obsolete until the range for whatever the last CR range the final gear box is currently at. Why buy replays when you can buy the gear? Why buy exo scanners when you can just buy the next set of gear? Why buy other DLCs when you can just buy the gear that gets you to the last DLC? Why stay subbed when you can just.... buy the gear?

Realistically the risk is extremely high. I would not want them indulging in this risk either or it'd mean the death of the game that much sooner. Columbus Nova is not built around the gaming industry. They have much less reason than Sony did to keep a branch of their assets that fails. The only other affiliation Nova has with gaming is via Jason Epstein (great guy), who owns Harmonix. He's likely the one responsible for picking up SOE from Sony. While Harmonix has proven to maintain its success, DGC is in less familiar waters. As far as DCUO is concerned, the issue with it's pairing with DC/WB(Time Warner) and the complications that arise from negotiations mean DCUO needs to maintain and expand profits or it can be dropped like a stone to focus on more successful/promising franchises and titles still in development. The approval process/funding process for determining what will move forward is also that much more complex, not that such is always a bad thing.
  11. XxRudgerxX Well-Known Player

If they put a way for me to level a character from brainiac ship to T5/T6 in a second, i'd buy as many as possible. I wouldn't even regret a thing.
    • Like x 1
  12. CAPn Active Player

I would be completely satisfied with an instant 30 able to start at tier one instances after I got off the brainiac ship. Gear boxes are unnecessary and arguably damaging from the opinions stated above.
    • Like x 1
  13. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Like I said in my original post above, the gear box would only be purchasable once the player has reached that particular tier and there wouldn't be a gear box for a current tier. So at best, an end game, CR124 player could purchase a gear box which starts their character out at T6. That way if a player does purchase this product, then they've already got a character eligible for that tier attached to their account. They've already done it, basically.

You can get to T4 right now, today, in game the second you hit Level 30 by using 78 Rings, Neck and putting iconic, tradable drops in every slot of gear. There's no money being made here by the developers. This idea would provide them with an opportunity to make some money out of a players laziness. A gear box would appeal to people who want to power level and would also safe guard a newbie player from reaching T4, something the current methods do not allow.

It's purely focused at the alt market. Not the main market.
    • Like x 1
  14. TrueGODofMarvel New Player

All they care about is exploiting whales though. I doubt this would be implemented. I'd know I'd use it. I'll make sure I skip T4 every freaking time. The lack of duos and the abundance of raids NO ONE plays anymore makes it the worst tier they ever created for me.
    • Like x 1