Radical idea

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Red Jenni, May 31, 2015.

1. Red Jenni Loyal Player

How about if we just got rid of the damager role completely. All roles would have the same capacity for damage. All tank powers would draw agro, all healer powers heal, and all troll powers give power. People would still mod for precision or might, sure. But think of the possibilities. No more looking for a tank. No more looking for a healer. No more looking for a troll. Just think of the possibilities! People would play powersets because they LIKED the powerset. Also, lets just remove the scoreboard (from Chuckless). No one cares who gives more power, who draws more agro, or gives out more heals. Its only scoreboard chasing damagers that don't play support roles or don't help with pick ups or mechanics that will drastically be affected, and those folks SHOULD be changing the way they play. I play this game because I enjoy it, and because I enjoy the social aspect of it, and I don't want to play with that guy who's not going to pick up the guy the went down right next to him, or refuses to use the weapon on Cerberus, or won't stop hitting the adds in the gas room of Labyrinth.
  2. YinChakra Dedicated Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  3. ChuckLess New Player

Been said a hundred times before. As much as I would like that to be, it would mean revamping the entire game.

I think ditching DPS gear would be better.
  4. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

How bout no ?
    • Like x 3
  5. Derio 15000 Post Club

Now sir that is rather extreme and radical. It might just kill the game.
    • Like x 1
  6. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Haven't we had this idea already? Think the part about you acknowledging that people would still mod as damage belies that yyou've already heard the idea, and the argument that people would still find the most damaging rotation and mods, and play to out damage each other anyway?
    • Like x 3
  7. Sabigya Steadfast Player

The amount of generalization and delusion the OP contains is simply outstanding.
    • Like x 1
  8. Red Jenni Loyal Player

They would, but they'd still be giving out power, healing or pulling agro. And by the way, the word "belies" implies that I lied somewhere. I take exception to that. I'm entitled to state my opinion. I know you in game (a little) and have no problem with you. I think this was probably not intended.
  9. Red Jenni Loyal Player

lol Thank you. I can see that this was a popular thread already.
  10. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

This concept would have been a much better "day 1" idea than something they can introduce now at this late stage in the game.

As someone said, the entire game would need rebalancing. Because right now you don't even need 2 tanks, 2 healers or 2 controllers for any piece of content as nothing is challenging enough to demand it, so 3 Tanks, 3 Healers, 2 Controllers or any mixture of that breakdown isn't going to be useful to anyone in anything based on the content we have today.

That and the fact that non-DPS roles do such tiny damage but the NPCs have been balanced for groups featuring DPS, arguably up to 5 DPS, it's going to require a complete overhaul to every aspect of the game.

This is a better idea for a sequel, than the game we have today.
  11. Reformed New Player

The game would be better off getting rid of support roles instead. An all dps game would be much more consistent with the DC IP too.
  12. DarkSyde79 Loyal Player

Even if DCUO where to remove the Damager role from the game, you would just end up with a game full of Tank, Controllers and Healers who “focus” almost entirely on dealing damage.
    • Like x 1
  13. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Yeah, I had no malintent using the word. My wife makes fun that I use the word "stink" for anything that smells really strongly, even if it's a good smell. Perhaps it would be better to say that it "hints" that you know it's not a new idea, though the original post of it being radical makes it sound as though it's outlandish and unheard of, to me.

I've seen plenty of trolls dps'ing, that don't give out a debuff or power, even by accident. I've seen healers simply spam weapon mastery without throwing out a heal. It's unlikely that a tank could do their job properly, in many cases, if their loadout doesn't include damage mitigation, a pull, and an immunity. I think the vision of only pure support and hybrid, with no pure damage, relies on a basic premise that that's what everyone would prefer, if only they could see the harm that focusing on dps does. I think the reality falls short of that ideal.
  14. Red Jenni Loyal Player

Yes, I didn't think so. You seem like a pretty cool dude to me. It IS radical, as in outlandish. That doesn't mean I think I thought of it first, to me. To answer the rest, while my healer COULD spam weapon mastery without healing, she wouldn't be healing. That sounded redundant. While everyone could focus on damage, they would still be giving out heals or power, etc. I've surrendered at this point. I can see that this post is wildly unpopular. lol
    • Like x 1
  15. Sumeric New Player

Lets look at this idea logically. I'll take the last group I Queue'd up with as an example. We were in Happiness Home regular. The group composition was as follows:

Dps:
    Nature
    Electric
    Celestial
    Quantum

Tank:
    Fire
    Earth

Healer:
    Nature

Controller:
    Mental

If we removed the option to queue in and play as a dps role, the group composition would have been:

Tank:
    Fire
    Earth

Healer:
    Nature x2
    Electric
    Celestial

Controller:
    Quantum
    Mental

No change to our number of tanks, we gain one controller (less potential power issues), but now we have 4 healers in the instance. If all support roles gain an equally dramatic enough capability to output increased damage to make up for the lack of a damage role, then logically with half of the raid as healers we are invincible. There is no longer any risk involved because there simply isn't enough damage being thrown around to exhaust the healing and shielding capabilities of 4 healers.

If you remove the damage role, you single-handedly make the healer class the strongest and most preferred role in the game, to the detriment of most others.
  16. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Thanks for the compliments. Sorry we couldn't see eye-to-eye on this one. You seem to be good at separating the opinion from the person. Especially when you start a thread, it's difficult not to take all the responses personally.
  17. Red Jenni Loyal Player

While I surrenser, due to the number of oposing opinions, I must argue that your logic is flawed. First of all, you are overlooking the huge number of quantum players in the game the last few months, not to mention the number who will switch to serums or atomic (whichever is next). There are also a large number of rage, ice and light players, unrepresented in your group. Your group supposes that 1/4 of the players are.... nature? They aren't.
  18. Sumeric New Player

I wasn't implying that one fourth of the players in the game were nature. Merely that without dps, healers are the most logical power choice to stack in a raid. With that many healers, you are guaranteed to complete every instance because you basically become an un-killable group. That is just one of the many reasons that the dps role cannot be removed.