Lightning Guide

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Max Volt, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Abraham New Player

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what exactly does an AM DPS do after setting up their dots (between the VB refresh times)?
  2. blklightning New Player

We continue using those same powers and take advantage of the power-return mechanic.

You have a couple of options:
    1 - spam power returns and use a might build w/ very little weapon use
    2 - Build your DoTs and then rely on weapon attacks in between refreshing them. You'll need a might/prec build for that.

Arc Lightning hits hard, and Voltaic Bolt has a strong burst on cast. So, since VB is essentially a free power after eBurst, eGen, AL, and EC, you might as well take advantage of it.

I'm working my way through a SSD failure and will be getting the warranty replacement soon. Sometime after that, I'll find the time to finally put together a vid of how I DPS. It's nothing special. If it required hard work, well... I wouldn't do it. I just like to know that I can spam powers over and over while still being able to hold my own in a team.
    • Like x 2
  3. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Weapon attacks, pickups.
    • Like x 2
  4. blklightning New Player

Ain't nothin' like hitting VB, doing a pickup, and hitting VB again. LOVE being able to do that.
    • Like x 2
  5. Abraham New Player

Ah, I just thought that you don't want to turn your lvl 3 dots into lvl 2 ones again, even if it's very briefly. In general, does spamming the same rotation give about the same results as using weapons in between VB?
  6. blklightning New Player

You only run the risk of lowering your DoTs if you do no refresh them in time. Spamming powers, which ultimately ends w/ VB very frequently, will ensure that you're at max DoTs the whole time.
    • Like x 2
  7. Petralka Well-Known Player

Its been forever same I remember missed this thread. :)
  8. Deity Supremacy Well-Known Player

Is electric one of those powers that gets a might boost for not speccing I to wm?
  9. Absolix Loyal Player

The innate boosts to crits that nonCombo and nonPet AMs get to their Might damage are not affected by whether or not WM is unlocked.

There is not a single AM in the game made weaker by unlocking WM.
    • Like x 1
  10. Deity Supremacy Well-Known Player

I knew no power was weakened for using wm, but I thought I saw a post by a green stating that certain powers get might buffed for not unlocking the wm.
  11. Absolix Loyal Player

There is an aspect of the combo AMs where if you don't have WM unlocked you will receive a buff to the crit damage so that having a melee weapon equipped, which grants 15% weapon crit damage, and not having WM unlocked while using the combo AMs, which grants 5% weapon crit damage, is equal to the crit damage you get for having WM unlocked, 20%.

No AM is made stronger by not having WM unlocked. There are some that can be equal strength, as far as crits, with WM not unlocked, but the slight boost to CC resistance alone can be worth unlocking it as it can prevent your rotations from being interrupted.
  12. Deity Supremacy Well-Known Player

Go
    gotcha. Lately I've seen electric DPS so few in between. Thinking bout returning to it.
  13. Black Jaq Devoted Player

I always like being an underdog power and Electric has always been that. It is the
    East represented of the healing powers. And if you are Sorcery on live that number is just going to increase further.
  14. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

It has been a few months now that I am using Electricity. In healer role is very easy to master and extremely efficient. I can keep my team members alive without too much effort. In an alert, more than in a raid, I practically make the team invincible.

As a DpS power, however, in spite of its advanced mechanics, I find it extremely lacking. The slower refresh rate of Electrogenesis and Electrocute forces me to integrate with WM and compared to almost any other power it's one of the worst in damage rate. Yeah, it's cool to hit the adds and watching them slowly dying while you drink your cup of coffee, but in a few rotations, unless i am not backed up by a controller, I will run out of power, because the first move to activate the AM doesn't get any power back. In a short battle is pretty good, but in a boss fight, you will be using your weapons half of the time, delivering so much less damage than anyone else.

Electricity absolutely needs a tweak. However is one of the most visually appealing powers, in my opinion.

edit: reading the previous comments, I understand that my people decided to ignore the AM and use a WM-burst rotation. Does that method grants you a more efficient damage rate?
    • Like x 3
  15. Van_Gho Committed Player

Gentleman, I just want to thank everyone for this thread, it's been eye opening and a thing of beauty, shock on!
    • Like x 3
  16. Abisial Committed Player

Although Elec is dependent on WM it is not a weak power "doing much less damage than anyone else" I go toe-to-toe and even surpass most people not Quantum or Celestial.
    I've tried a Burst loadout and it does relatively same damage, but isn't recommended if you aren't good with the Crit Windows.
    • Like x 1
  17. xD25x Dedicated Player

As a fan of electricity i agree with most of your post. Atm nothing can keep up with a seasoned quantum or munitions player. Sure i beat alot of bad quantums but thats few and far between. However elec can easily keep up with the ice and hl powers if used right. I do believe our power back mechanic could use a tweek as well. All in all elec is a visually stunning power and its am to me is far more fun than quantums
    • Like x 2
  18. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

what would be the electric AM LO?

(please spell out words as I dont know VB TB ect mean yet)
    • Like x 1
  19. Electrizzaro Loyal Player

Basic LO is
    Electroburst (EB), Electrogenisis (EG), Arc Lightning (AL), Electrocute (Echute), Votaic Bolt (VB). You want to refresh your dots with VB every 8 seconds or so. Most cast AL with VB because it activates your Power return mechanic and it is like casting VB for free. Also it is worth mentioning that if you cast VB after any of the powers listed in that basic LO you activate the power return mechanic. Also if you cast the powers in that order you will get power back from each power used. So after 1 full rotation you will have used just a bit more than the power cost of EB, but would have gone through your entire Rotation.

Most tend to forget EB and put something else in their LO because they range and EB is a melee power. I use shockwave others use Tesla ball (TB). If you have any other quetions please feel free to ask.

On a side note...the fact that you can throw VB after any of the AM powers means that you can mix and match your own personal LO to fit your playstyle. You may be more power hungry than one that utilizes the full power return mechanic but it does give you room to not be like anyone else.
  20. EP Ice Loyal Player

My current LO is Egen>AL>VB>Wired>Electrocute>WM>ShockWave and I repeat AL>VB until Egen is ready again. I want to put Tesla Ball in there but I don't know what to change it with. Any tips?
    • Like x 1