DC Comic's Must Reads

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Solmes202, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Solmes202 Loyal Player

I have been collecting comics for many more years than I care to admit and was wondering how many players are also readers and collectors. I thought I would list a few "must reads" or people jumping in. Please add your own!

The Dark Knight Returns
    Watchmen
    Whatever Happened to the Man Of Tomorrow
    Kingdom Come
    DC The New Frontier
    Long Halloween
    Dark Victory
    All Star Superman
    Superman For All Seasons
    Crisis On Infinite Earths
    Court Of Owls
    No Man's Land

Every one is a gem!
    • Like x 1
  2. Dezaras Loyal Player

Blackest Night.

New 52 Nightwing. I really enjoyed it, I think it was a surprise hit.
  3. Malachyte Devoted Player

The Long Halloween was def one of my all time favorite reads.
    The Killing Joke and Last Laugh were also epic graphic novels in my opinion.
    • Like x 1
  4. Super vindicator Active Player

The Secret Six run by Gail Simone
    Green Lantern:Rebirth and Flash:Rebirth by Geoff Johns
    The Omac Project by Greg Rucka
    and last but not least, pretty much the entire run of the Sandman by Neil Gaiman and Hitman by Garth Ennis

Honorable mention for the books of magic (miniseries by Gaiman, monthly run by John Ney Rieber)

oh and Lucifur by Mike Cary (of Fables fame)
    Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis
    Preacher by Garth Ennis

Hellblazer, with particluar shout out to Delano's run, Paul Jenkins and again Garth Ennis (who could forget 'Rake at the gate of hell')

Damn! so many good reads, so little time.
  5. SuperNerdGeekOverkill Dedicated Player

The white martian storyline by Morrison
    The nail by Davis/Farmer (epic scene when Batman hits Jimmy with the lantern ring)
  6. Fools Fire Loyal Player

Steve Ditko's - Creeper & Hawk and Dove (Side Note: Ditko's Blue Beetle and Captain Atom for Charlton Comics were very good as well.)
    1970's Horror - House of Mystery, House of Secrets, Witching Hour were the big three
    Showcase - The original run gives you a nice variety of content and origin issues
    Swamp Thing - original run
    Madam Xanadu - original run, Marshall Roger's One Shot, and Matt Wagner series

Brother Power the Geek - Just because it was goofy as hell.
    Prez - Just because the villain later became the mascot for Wal-Mart.
  7. Sodam Yat Dedicated Player

The new 52 reboot may not have been universally liked but I gotta say, Batman: Death of the Family and the Red Lantern run from #21 onwards completely blew me away. You'd kinda need to be a batman comic fan previously to fully get Death of the Family but regardless its pretty much a perfect story. And the work that went into Red Lanterns after Guy Gardner takes over, whether it be the story or art, was amazing.
    • Like x 1
  8. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

I have just recently got back into reading comics again.

The first series I picked up was The Long Halloween and it was AWESOME. The art and the story was just really great stuff.

I am also reading Pitt from Image comics and liking that so far.

Can't saw as I have read any other from the OP's list.

I did read Iron Man and Hulk comics a lot growing up, but I can't say that I kept track of what I was reading.
  9. dngnb8 Devoted Player

Green Eggs and Ham
    Oh the Places You Go
    Hop on Pop
    Horton Hears a Who
    • Like x 1
  10. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I'm finding Dark Knight isn't holding up as the years go by. At the time, it was a necessary book to break DC in particular out of it's reputation for "safe" comic books. At the time every Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman etc book was essentially the same. The company needed a shake up, and the writers needed to say they could stretch their wings. Moore and Miller both did that. However, 30 years later, going back and rereading Dark Knight, on top of the examination of Batman's neuroses, there's also an underlying pessimism and cynicism that I think was harmful to comics in the long run and has ultimately led to reboot after reboot because heroes are getting too dark. Watchmen holds up a little better, but I think that's because the protagonists in that book are self contained in their world.

Dark Knight also has the misfortune of telegraphing Miller's later weird arch conservative racist views that he later manifested. In the 90's I loved Miller, because he was doing stuff that nobody else was doing, and I believe in rewarding originality. Unfortunately, as more people imitated him, and he became less original, his dystopic view of the world became tiring.

Having said all this, 100 bullets is one my favourite series, same with Y the last man. Both are Vertigo books which is owned by DC, so I'm exercising a loophole.
  11. KCTAMU92PC122010 New Player

I am an older collector and have been a Grren Arrow fan since Ollies' days of running around with Hal in the GA-GL series. You can get those in a collected book. It's a fun and sometimes serious series to read.

As a fan of Ollies; yes on a first name basis, The Longbow Hunters kind of brought him back into the light. It's another series I would recommend.

The Killing Joke for the story and art is another I would recommend. I liked that one so much I bought the poster of its cover art and framed it. Nerd and proud I am.
  12. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

Brian Bolland was second to none in my book.
    • Like x 1
  13. KCTAMU92PC122010 New Player

I agree. I liked The art so much the I actually bought the different versions of the different printings of The Killing Joke. I am about 10 years clean and sober now.
    • Like x 1
  14. Cursed Khagan Well-Known Player

Being a big Wondy fan, I would recommend:

Wonder Woman: Eyes of the Gorgon - Greg Rucka (Actually, read his entire run v.2 #195-226)
    Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia - Greg Rucka
    Wonder Woman: The Circle - Gail Simone (or pretty much her entire run on v.3 #14-44)
    Wonder Woman: Gods and Mortals - George Pérez (v.2 #1-7)
    Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth - Paul Dini

Enjoy!
    • Like x 1