Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The K-os X Active Player

and AGAIN ...none thought about this merging with DCUO ??? FIRST PERSON GUYS?? :)
  2. Lord Jareth Steadfast Player

i didn't mean all legendary
  3. ShadowGOJU New Player

Telling the future is one thing, but taking queues from others that have had a similar event happen(C of X and Champ), that's pretty good unit of measure.
  4. Zernam New Player

Interesting development - Best wishes on the changeover - I hope this does mean more resources, ya'll work hard enough so getting extra hands is a very good thing :)
  5. Boscohark Well-Known Player

Best of luck to all of you Mepps! I am looking forward to see what this transition brings! I have had the honor of working with you all through my time as a SWG Senator and my year on the Community Board. I know you are all up to the challenge and I hope this new situation brings you all much creative freedom!
  6. nogimmick New Player

EXACTLY.
  7. Jamie New Player

I have first hand experience that counters this despite what you are saying seems logical. My company used to have 2 divisions. We were sold from a private investment firm to a company that was only interested in the other division. When the global economy tanked that division was bleeding money while we were still turning a profit. Since the new owners were focused on the other division they sold my division off in order to get a cash injection to help stabilize the other side. The funny thing is that about a year later they sold the other division off as well. Now my parent company is 1 of the largest and oldest companies in the world.
  8. MAXILIANO Loyal Player

Despite several negative reviews. I personally see this with good eyes change. I really believe that we can witness a revolution in DC for the better!
    I do not know whether it will be short, medium or long term. But I have high hopes with all this ...
  9. ShadowGOJU New Player

*Television spokesperson* 'These results are not typical for all users and could vary greatly from one user to the next.'
  10. Sore Steadfast Player

There's no telling yet if this is good or bad. You can't predict how this will affect things on a macro scale. Maybe more money goes into production values. Maybe more games. Maybe less focus on DCUO. Maybe more P2W. Maybe not. You can't predict the motives of this firm. Maybe they'll micromanage. Maybe they'll let Smed do what he does best. Reacting to this news alone in either direction is jumping the gun.
    • Like x 1
  11. Aren Sul Committed Player

I, for one, welcome our new Columbus Nova overlords...
    • Like x 3
  12. Knightmare Active Player

I don't post often, but every once in a while I get the urge so here's my take : R.E.L.A.X.

This change in ownership could literally be a harbinger of either doom or prosperity for the game. Without further information from "daybreak" or Columbus Nova a logical result cannot be formulated. In other words, we don't really know all the details of the deal so all we can do is run wild with speculation, and that isn't really helpful. What is helpful are the facts, and here's a little info on Columbus Nova.

First of all,( This honestly is the part that worries me) unlike what my league-mate Magnificent describes as a direct selling and re-branding of gaming companies in SoE's past this isn't a gaming company taking the reigns.
    Columbus Nova is basically a trio of High leverage investment bankers ( with varying backgrounds and degrees), that seem to specialize in the art of CLO (Collateralized Loan Obligations) Basically they buy loans from a bunch of banks, one of which they own, and put them in one pool with the purpose of having multiple investors buy into said loans of various degrees of risk,thereby their investors can make degrees of profit based on the risk of the loan. All the while CN is making money first by various levels of middle- management fees based on the levels of risk.

I'm no wall street guru, but basically instead of an indirect tie to the economy as long as Columbus Nova owns the company the companies' fortune is directly tied to how well businesses pay their debts and who buys said debt.
    Here's an example of wild speculation again: This could be transitory and another company may partner with them to manage "daybreak". Another possibility is Columbus Nova could legitimately desire to have thrown it's hat into the gaming ring as a side venture, or a labor of love , they definitely have the capital as they reportedly move 15 billion dollars annually. That is totally a possibility , but the only thing we definitely know for sure is that the ball is in their court .

So until we find out more details of the purchase and the reasons behind it all we can do is relax and wait .
    • Like x 2
  13. Brit Lantern Active Player

Because they haven't had a decent DC game for 15 years and they must be itching to do something....
  14. ShadowGOJU New Player

I liken this to jumping off a cliff above cloud cover without a parachute and hoping that I survive!

While not very rational, and bordering on the absurdly idiotic, it is nonetheless very exciting to ponder whether or not the last thing that goes through your mind is your bum or yer feet.
  15. DrLobo New Player

Or in my case just wait these 2 months by floating still sub runs out and see what these guys intentions before pulling out my warp and going to another MMO.
  16. ShadowGOJU New Player

I will try, but personal experience is a hard thing to ignore. But if you say 'sit back and enjoy the ride' I guess I will give it a shot. *throws away parachute and leaps off the cliff!*
  17. Derio 15000 Post Club

Hopefully they will support Spytle, get him a larger dev team, and plan to cut PS3 by the end of 2016 to help further develop the game. And have a group of 20+ devs to work on an expansion for the start of 2017.
    • Like x 1
  18. LifeSubbed New Player

I'm wondering about the sub structure like most people seem to be... specifically Lifetime Subs.
    Concerned about the possibility that since it's no longer SOE (Sony), Daybreak might say they are no longer legally liable to provide the Lifetime Sub even though the game is still running.
    I think the chance is small but it happens with other things in life when companies change hands sometimes.
    • Like x 3
  19. Sore Steadfast Player

Investment firms can cause a company to thrive, crash and everything in between. There's examples of that everywhere. It's also possible that we never notice a difference in game. Maybe the change is just cultural, e.g. No SOE Live. It'll probably be 6 months before we get the smallest hint of the effects of this from a consumer perspective. From a Daybreak employee perspective, it'll probably be more pronounced and sooner.
    • Like x 1
  20. TezlersGleen New Player

Now that Sony is out, I hope DCUO gets a little less mercenary...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.