Suggestion regarding names and cross-play.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kristyana, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Nightcrawler Legionnaire

This is a great suggestion made by Brennsinger.

What if they instead used color coding to identify servers and when sending tells or mail we get a drop down or pop up after we type the name [PC or PS] to help identify who you are referring to? Heroes on PS can be green, PC - blue and villains can be PS - red and PC - purple or some such combination of colors.

Hopefully, SOE has learned just how important names are to the players and will try to find ways to preserve them at all costs.
    • Like x 1
  2. Kristyana New Player

SP, that's my point.

You've already done the research, but you admit it yourself - the chances of you losing your name to a level 7 toon if/when the merger happens are practically nonexistant.

It's hard to believe you're not brushing off the potential impact this could have because you don't have a personal stake in it like the other disenfranchised groups I mentioned in my original post do.

I'm not saying it's ideal, but I'm trying to offer solutions.

So either discrimination is going to happen between the different platform groups, or a bunch of people are going to be pissed they have to change their names. It's a tossup which one will be more damaging to the community and the game, but we've already had a pretty clear preview as to how the community will react to forced name changes.

Putting it out there right now: I have ZERO problem running with PS3 players, and I can't think of anyone on my extremely large friends list that would have a problem with it either. If I have to wait a few extra seconds for the adds to load on their screen, I don't mind.

And from what everyone is saying, it won't matter if there's a server tag or not because it's going to be extremely obvious who's on what platform anyway. If it's going to happen anyway, I say keep the names.
  3. Superpatriot Dedicated Player

Kris, I do get what you're saying and I agree that it would suck to lose a name that you'd been playing, but I'm not talking about somebody losing their name. I'm saying the person that doesn't have the most playtime gets the suffix added to their name so if I didn't have the most play time then I'd get stuck with "Superpatriot_PS".

Nobody is forced to change their names just like nobody was forced to change their name this time around. The only difference when cross play comes around is that everybody will know that both servers will have to share the same pool before it happens.
  4. Rooted Active Player

Adding any prefixes or suffixes to names would create additional social stigmas in an environment that is already heavily burdened in many other areas. Creating a solution which doesn't include an affixed solution would be better than one that could have many people stigmatized, devalued or tainted where they will become harassed, feel different or devalued by others. The Cross-Fraction idea is something that is suppose to offer both platforms a better game play. Creating groups, queuing for arenas and offering a larger gaming community. Placing a label or identifying characteristics will form stereotypes. From experiences and seeing things first hand regardless of how well one would fit into a group, socially categorizing individuals by labeling a player, they could/will be subjected to status loss, discrimination and this community will form prejudice emotions and beliefs based on a what should be a simple Synonym or Antonym.
  5. Pingvinozavr Dedicated Player

For me @handle feels like a reasonable way to go.(and, of course it does not have to be specific "@" simbol). It was implemented in other superhero MMO from the start and was very useful all the way through. Sure some may dont like that concept for some reason(heck, some don't like cross-play for some reason as well) but in the end of the day it will bring way more benefits than flaws.
  6. Twilight Avenged Dedicated Player

I agree with this idea.

Removing the name on any of my characters is the kind of thing that ruins trust between me as a consumer and the business that produced this game. Trust is what makes me comfortable with spending my money on future games from that business.
  7. Baby New Player

I dunno why DCUO is determined to repeat history. It's been proven that MMO players do not like losing names and doing so kills the trust players have that their characters will remain in tact after launch no matter how much time has passed. SOE already has a pretty bad rep among gamers, so why keep doing all this merge nonsense?

This is the most merged and wiped game in the history of MMORGP gaming. It's ridiculous.

A simple temp faction change for queues could've fixed queue times easily without yet another merge. Who the hell even merges a megaserver with another megaserver. Says more about your game, lack of interest, and lack of new content than it does anything positive about how it's being run.

Merges much like going bankrupt make you look bad. You do not want merges, you should be avoiding merges like the plague, instead any time the population looks bad you instantly go "A MERGE WILL FIX IT!!". Well this is your last merge, what will you do next? Merge America and EU? And after that?

Quit with the band-aids now and find real solutions. Merging is a Band-Aid. New content, paid faction changes, temporary queue faction changes, new Archetypes, etc are real solutions.
    • Like x 1
  8. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

If two different/same people have the same name on ps and pc. No need for a name change token. Simply put an PS or PC icon next to their respective names.
    [IMG] for pc
    [IMG] for ps.

edit beaten on suggestion. +1 to the idea.
  9. Baby New Player

The icon should really only show up if the people are in the same group or vicinity. Honestly this whole thing should be entirely optional with the ability to crossover when and if you choose.

Forcing us to merge yet again really pisses me off.
  10. Trial 1 New Player

If I log in one day and find I have to change any of my character's names, I'll quit right there.
    • Like x 1