WE DON'T WANT PLAYERS, WE WANT FRIENDS!

Discussion in 'League Recruitment Center' started by Hemmy, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hemmy Committed Player

Indeed I cannot invite you into the league yet. The only characters in the league that are under the level cap are some of our alts and even those are usually at 30. I'm curious, do you have a keyboard?

While I cannot add you yet, you do sound like the kind of person we are looking for and it would be great to eventually see you in the league. If you add me to your friends list then when I come online, I can help you level up a little and chat so I know a little bit about you. That will also give me the ability to add you in as soon as you reach level 30. In addition, send me a message in game so that I know your character's name and that kind of thing. I hope to see you around!
  2. SatuValentine New Player

Hey Reyen, I do not have a keyboard right now but I have actually been looking into getting one. Right now I believe I can use my phone to type but I have not tested it out yet that is only a theory, once the servers are back up I am going to try it out. I will add you and message you in game, my characters name is the same SatuValentine.
    Chatting would be nice, makes the leveling go by quicker haha mostly the reason why I want to join a League in the first place.
    Thank you ^^ Talk to you soon.
    • Like x 1
  3. Code Caper New Player

*In-game name: Code Caper
    *Faction (Hero/Villain). Hero
    *Server (USPS/EUPS-USPC/EUPC) USPS
    *Combat Rating/Skill Points. 101 DPS 98 Troll
    *Power. Quant
    *Role. DPS/TROLL
    *Do you have a mic? Yes
    *Legendary/Premium/Free to play. Legendary
    *Age. (For those leagues with age requirements). 29
    *About yourself. Canadian in Western Canada MTN Time Zone. Play on the weekends and in the evenings. I only have 1 character and will switch powers as time passes and I get bored
    *What are you looking for in a league and why? I left the game just as FFL 1 dropped, just coming back now and need some help to get back up to speed. I will run anything any time I'm on
  4. Code Caper New Player

Oh Also 130 SP
  5. Hemmy Committed Player

Alright the same should go for you I think. Send me a message in game and tell me a little more about yourself. I can't help but think this was copy and pasted from another application. I never asked for all these things and they seem to be in a very particular format.
  6. Hemmy Committed Player

I have now had several people ask to join before their characters are below lvl 30. As I've explained I like to keep things uniform and so will not be adding those under the level cap. I will personally help you if I have the time and you provide a good enough personality for me to interact with :). If you are one of those people simply send me a message (in game) explaining your interest and your current level. As well as any information about yourself as you can give. Posting a message on this thread helps too. I can't say this last step is necessary but it will improve your chances greatly of me remembering who you are.
  7. Hemmy Committed Player

This is less a direct response to you Satu more over, a general welcome and as a tool to illustrate the fact that we are still looking for good people to help us out! As a demonstration, Satu went from doing the first few missions of the game to CR 46 since joining (I'm pretty sure I added her yesterday but I'm not sure, could have been the night before :p) as of an hour ago. In addition, she is now an official guardian, no mean feat considering there are people who joined months ago that haven't gotten there yet.

We are slowly filling out our league hall with decorations (even though I'm pretty sure non of us are good at decorating, especially you Xera) and we are still keeping the small number in our roster consistent so there isn't anyone falling through the cracks. I still frequent the forums and game, trying to keep as up to date as possible on everything I can. If you want to ask anything or tell us about yourself then feel free to ask, we'd love to hear from you.

Just wanted to say thanks to her for joining, and I can't wait to see who else the community will give us next!
  8. Hemmy Committed Player

The Original two posts have been modified to reflect any information I have added since creating this thread. All information you'll need is now in those posts and you need not look anywhere else.
  9. Hemmy Committed Player

Again this doesn't do much in the way of telling us what your personality is like, how you feel about what we're all about, etc. I really like getting people into the league and giving them a chance and have even added people straight from chat when they're nice enough, but even for me, this isn't enough to go on.
  10. Hemmy Committed Player

Welcome to the group of people that just joined! Our numbers are now just over 15 people and we'd like to keep it small but we want to stop around 20 people. This means that if you intend to join with a group of 5 or more people please contact me first with as much info as possible as adding that many people might conflict with what we have in mind. Thanks again and I'll talk to you all soon!
  11. Hemmy Committed Player

While I cannot stress enough that I honestly like getting mail and having people say hi to me in-game, it does not substitute an in-depth post in this thread describing your interest in the league, personality, etc. Please if you are in any way interested, then leave a post here, THEN contact someone from the league in game.
    Having said that, thank you everyone for all the interest that you've been showing in the league and joining! It's been great talking to all of you and can't wait to see who we add next!
  12. smelter New Player

" I'm going to tell you what the prerequisites are then you're going to leave a message in this thread with 1).any questions you might have

Hey whats going on? I guess the number one question to ask is 1a). why would someone want to join your league? What do you offer that is different than any other league out there on DCUO? There is plenty to choose from. The players that just inspect you then ninja invite, to the player who really just wants a "league" to be in control of. I never really wanted to be in a league until I realized that getting things done yourself is easy, but it takes away from the experience of playing a MMOG. 1b). Why do you think people leave your league? "We've opened the league to invites many times and each time I admit about 10 people. About 2 of those 10 stay, the reason being that most people look for a league based on two criteria and two alone: Average CR, and high player activity". If this is true, what do you think the person who left would tell me about your league and why they left? 1c) And if this is a reocurring downside, or "thing" that seems to pop up has any thought been made to compromise in the future to give the members in the league something they feel they need from the league so they wont "feel" forced to leave?

2). why you want to join the league

So really I think I enjoy the League atmosphere. I havent found the right league yet. A league, the right league I will venture to say should feel like home. People ask about you when your gone or havent been on for awhile. They learn each others behaviors and can tell when someone is going to say their old familiar phase lol. And of course there will be disagreements between each other but thats because your close like a family. And it shouldnt mean the end of the DC UNIVERSE when it does happen. Open communication, in a mature manner, with mature individuals should be able to solve most problems that may occur. Being a "league hopper" is not my thing. When I am in a league however Its cool to get other perspectives other than just your own all the time. To have people that can run an alert thats difficult or a raid but they are eager to see you use some of the tips they gave you. To have players that dont get mad because your a "NEW DPS" or a "UP & COMING CONTROLLER" lol. To know people will work with you and its not about competition, its about having fun on this wonderful game called DCUO. Where you can be a "healer" or a "superman" or your own tailor made superhero. In my opinion the league atmosphere is perfect for cultivating this connection between players and friends. As you can tell I have a vision of a league like that in my mind, just havent been in one like that before so anyways

"a little bit about yourself etc"

Ok I will start this section by saying I play the game the same way I live my real life. I love being cool with people in the game, same as real life. I have a real laid back personality. Drama isnt for me nor will I have any parts of it. It is pointless and unproductive. I like to joke around. I like looking for oppurtunities to help people. I believe there are people out there that really do need your help and if you can you should help them. This is what I do in my career so likewise this is who I am on DCUO. Same guy, just a different name lol .Its nice to see heros in shout asking for help or even begging for help sometimes and just send them a tell to say "OMW" lol, I love that moment. Or when you see people standing around a bounty. Its clear they all need him but noone wants to go 1st. As soon as someone hits him, they all hit him you just got to love moments like that. Im just an all around chill natured dude. I love DCUO with a passion un matched by other video games. AGAIN, where else can you do what you can do in DCUO? But keep in mind this is my 1st MMO, I thought about playing WOW, just havent tooken that step yet. I could say alot more about myself but I think I'd rather just go into my history of DCUO thus far. So unlike most players I didnt know anything about it. I do play more so on xbox. But I was watchin tv and I saw the commercial. I thought "hmm make your own superhero, nice concept"! So I ran out and got the dics, popped it in, was confused as hell, like everyone else who didnt know about the game thru beta or just watching for it lol. So I played it for like 3wks then took it out. The mics didnt work, Im like man, you cant even talk on this dumb game, whatever.

So like after the sony hack i decided to play it again. This time much better experience. I had people I played with that tried to help me out. Made some cool friends but didnt joina league yet. I heard leagues were more about what you "had to do for them than them actually helping you" At this point I was doing ok, Didnt need a league. Yea I got kicked out of plenty of raids lol. Had several moments when players stop playing after that 3rd wipe and they start inspecting eveyone in the instance LMAO. yes that is DCUO, if you didnt all ready know man, gotta love it lol. Even tho at the time it hurt me, I was like forget this game. My love kept me coming back, so I did. So then I joined a league. This league leader was great. But the league disbanded after i had been there. So left on my own again I said well I might as well just pass along what I have learned so that is what I did. I just set out to get my CR up, run the things I felt competent about running and helping people. I helped alot of people. Gave people millions of dollars lol, yes I did. It was fun. To shout I need help then people come help me I would cash them out. I even helped other players start leagues and gave then agenda to follow as to help form a structure so new players wont feel so over whelmed.
    I hate to stop here but I just saw how long this text is lol, yea my bad! But I figured you spent alot of time telling players what you are looking for I might as well tell you who and what I am about.

I think your final inquiry was to equipment? Im sorry the computer i am using at work sort of timed out on me so I cant be sure what exactly you asked for. But I do have a mic and a keyboard. My toons are level 30. I do have a tank, another healer and a baby troll I like to work on. Its kind of hard to help people if you dont understand the mechanics. I would like to add my strongest toon which is sorcery but mention the other toons I have because sometimes its good to show people how a traditional raid or alert is suppose to be ran, a tank, dps, troll and heals. Now everything is all out of tradtition lol. My toons name is Prudent. I hope that covers everything. Even if Im not waht you looking for, I will still play with anybody because I just love the interaction really. Its the experience I crave. Being able to say I did this today or I helped this person reach that skill point. Thats why I play everything else is just a bonus lol. Ok thanks for reading this long Essay lol. Hope you find what your looking for. You sound like you do it for a good balanced reason. The game needs that these days. Its seems void of people just out to look out for each other. But I think you play for the right reasons man. Good luck to you.
    • Like x 1
  13. smelter New Player

Oh yea I almost forgot, I will be changing my name to PrudentWize at some point, Im doing twitchtv stuff and I stream Skyrim (gotta love skyrim man, come on! lol ), on the late night and to youtube. But as of this whole week my name is still Prudent tho. Ok my bad had to throw that in there cause I dont know when this will be replied to
  14. Hemmy Committed Player

I'm replying to this message rather than the long one because to have all that on the thread twice is gonna be obnoxious. Now that isn't to say I wish you had written less, in fact I'm ecstatic that someone finally took the time to write as much as I seem to on a regular basis!

As far as everything you've said:

-What does our league have to offer?
    Okay that's a little more complex to answer... After playing the game for five years and being a part of many leagues, groups, etc. I noticed that while you might make friends and have good times, there was never a place that really felt like, as you so eloquently put it, home or family. Not to say we're always as sentimental about it. We all know each other and joking around is more common than actual grinding for gear. Having an environment where everyone is friendly and empathetic towards each other is rare and what I've hoped to create here. So far I think I've been successful. As a matter of fact, a group of about 5 players who joined a few days ago, already feeling like they've been a part of our league for months.
    We don't have access to all the buffs in the game nor do we have access to infinite money. But if those are your priorities and reasons for joining a league, I fear you'll be severely out of place. That being said, we are all generous, willing to do whatever it takes to help others progress, and enjoy the game to it's fullest. Certainly there are those more financially well off players than others and of course some people can't afford to even go premium. We try and work around that, getting them items through whatever means we can and trying to make the experience of playing the game as fun as possible, regardless of their situation. I guess I've gone into why I started the league a little earlier but I might as well summarize again.
    I started this league with the exclusive intention of being able to help people. Instead of just helping someone I found in shout chat and never seeing them again, I'd invite them to the league and we'd help each other out any time we could. Soon this extended, encompassing the aid and generosity of many people and so became an actually viable, miniature community. It's amazing and humbling to see so many good people come together and have a good time who in all honesty, probably wouldn't have met if I hadn't done that one little creation process in the league management menu just for fun one day.
    We stay small by intention and that's so that no one will fall through the cracks and be lost in the league chat, needing desperately to have someone answer their calls for help. That's the exact opposite of what I want. I found that once the league's numbers reached above about 30-40 some people started to log on and I had no idea who they were. No one else I asked knew and soon that was a common occurrence. I didn't like the feeling of someone just coming into our... neighbourhood and not saying anything, not taking or leaving any trace of their existence. We are small so we can always keep tabs on each other and who everyone is (though that sounds creepy I trust you get my meaning behind it.). That's not to say that eventually we might all know each other so well we might need some new blood, but for right now I can't imagine that everyone in a league of 50+ people knows each other as well as we do. That's essentially what I'd like to offer the people the chance to be a part of.

-Why do I think people leave the league?
    before there's an answer to this, that whole "1-2 stay out of every ten", I say that about people I've met and recruited from shout chat or adding from instances, not those met and talked with who know someone in the league prior to being added. (this number also doesn't apply to anyone from the forums so far. Everyone I've recruited from here has stayed through thick and thin)
    Well it's primarily because of two reasons, one of which is justifiable, the other I find less so. One is that people often join leagues simply so that they have a consistent group to run the same raid and alerts with, day after gruelling day. This isn't what we're about. In fact I just spend 5 hours horsing around with satu, frosty, soldier and anyone else who hopped on. We helped others level toons and get past lower tiers while at the same time just messing around in the league hall joking around and even running the latest tier 6 content and getting a hot tub from the valentines day event. It was fun and we did happen to get a lot of cool gear and marks at the same time. Some people are just not attuned to the companionable nature of this league. If someone wants to run an instance then that's cool, if someone constantly wants to run only tier 6 content and leave out the other lower tiered players, that is certainly not cool. This leads to some seeing it as though we aren't capable or willing to run these instances ever, and so they leave in order to find a league where the only people that make up the roster care only for the highest numbers in the game. In terms of compromising in order to stop randoms (those that are invited from chat or instances without really knowing them to well before hand) from leaving and providing them a reason to stay... possibly? That's about as specific as I can be in that eventually I'm sure the roster will be full of super powerful characters and that might entice people to stay more so than a roster of players who have just hit the level cap.
    The second reason someone might leave is because sometimes during the day, and weeknights, most players have work or school the next day and so if you see 1 or 2 people online, it's a busy night. Other times there are usually more but a lot of players are, again, only wanting to join a league so they have a consistent raiding party at all times. On the average day it's around 1-5 players online (that varies greatly, especially as numbers fluctuate!) and while that's perfectly fine for us, it's often simply unacceptable to some. We're always sad to see someone go but when they don't share our views and ideology on a league in general, we can safely say the goodbyes aren't nearly as painful. In terms of changing this is order to prevent randoms from leaving well that's kinda the point of all this. Those that are here because we're friends and know each other, hopefully won't leave regardless of the stats a character has. Sure, eventually our numbers might swell but I hope to do so slowly enough that each person we add can be brought into the fold and considered a friend by all of us. Once again, our goal isn't to keep those players we recruit around, but rather to get to know them and if they share the same views as us, then they'll stay of their own volition once we get to know each other, not because our league has desirable stats or roster numbers.

-Why you in particular want to join the league?
    While I might say we are a league dedicated to helping others I really mean it, with every part of my being I think we do really well with helping other people out. Having someone join who is CR 27 and doesn't know what switching roles means is a little frustrating, it's the kind of frustrating you get when you're trying to solve a really fun puzzle. It's not that you want to give up or just throw the puzzle away, rather you want to keep at in until either the puzzle gives or you solve it. We love to teach others so that we can all be a part of the same fun we know dcuo can offer. I won't lie there is a selfish motivation behind it.
    We do want raise these players up so that they can join us in the high tier alerts and raids and so that they can teach the even newer players. Is that such a bad thing? In my eyes, not really, not at all. It's simply the way things work and how we've done it so far. It seems to work pretty well too from all demonstrations we've seen so far.

I hope that answers a few of your questions, if not let me know as I probably forgot something in there that I meant to write down but got sidetracked by another thought :p
    I don't want this to come across like I know it's going to but I really don't need to know your character's name. I have a lot of people to keep track of in game and people constantly sending me tells. Even if I saw your characters name I most likely wouldn't remember it unless it included a message saying "hey reyen I was the one that left that long *** post on the forums!" I would love to have someone like you as a part of the league but I honestly can't go around adding people coming back here for reference trying to remember all the PM's I've received with it simply saying: "Hey my name is X, please add me!" This is why I ask that people send me a tell in game as well as a post here (as you seem to have done, thank you!) so I can have a good long read of what they're about and then match that to a personality in game. So if you feel up to it, add my to your friends and send me a tell once you see me online. I'm also very likely to see something coming from the in-game's mail system and can add you from there.
    It's great to see someone who is already of the same mindset I was and still am and remains at the core of the league. I hope to hear more from you and thank you again for writing so much and giving me a peek inside your life. Thanks for the good wishes and if all goes well I'll see you in the league hall soon.

Sorry about any grammatical errors, I'm writing this to you at two in the morning. I hope to be hearing from you soon and thanks for giving me an excuse to ramble on for so long!

PS, You really do have to love skyrim right? It's amazing!
  15. smelter New Player

Ok I will message you through the mail system ingame. Thanks for your time
  16. Hemmy Committed Player

Sounds good. I'll be online intermitantly throughout the night so if I don't respond as soon as you send it please don't take it personally :p I just either haven't seen it or am running an instance where stopping to acknowledge and chat with others is quite counter-productive. See you soon!
  17. Hemmy Committed Player

So to those two new people that joined welcome, especially prudent, who came from here, and that brings our numbers really close to 20. We are at 19 characters with almost everyone having an alt in the league that means we have about 12 people. I want to stop at about 15 and so we have room for about 3 more people. That isn't to say that this will be the cap forever, I'm sure evetually we will want more people to join us but for now that's where we'd like to stay. Can't wait to see who that is! maybe it's you, ya you, reading this right now. o_O
  18. Hemmy Committed Player

At long last we got the league undersea!
    A few of us were there late last night to see it and place as many decorations as we could before we all got distracted by soldier's improvised D&D, satu's attempts at world domination, or my constant annoyances. It's good to see everyone getting along so well that deaths are kept to a minimum!

[IMG]
    so for all two of you that will ever care in order that's soldier, prudent, me, frosty, and satu hanging out in front of the barrier reef, right after we moved the league hall there. I'm sorry in advance to anyone who will eventually visit for soldier's decoration choices.

We're still looking for awesome people to join us and btw, prudent, welcome to the league! (it's good having someone here who can at least pretend to be a sufficient adult when it's needed.)

Talk to all you future league mates later!
  19. Hemmy Committed Player

Today Satu asked me something that I haven't been able to get out of my head. All she asked was "but you're the leader right?"

While I've tried my best to explain the irrelevance of ranks in the original post, I feel as though I should explain a little more.

it is true I am technically the "leader" of the league, but I've honestly never really thought of it that way. I've always seen it as just being the person who happened to be first in the league, it's ideals and concepts not revolving around me, rather the ideology that the name has come to represent. Sure, I have all the permissions, but if it weren't for so many people in the dcuo population that could so easily be tempted by power and abusing it, everyone would have the same permissions of access to everything.
    I simply feel that someone who joined us a day ago by the recommendation of someone else, might not be able to represent the league and manage it's resources as well as someone who has been in the league for 3+ months. I give players ranks based on their ability to maintain the league's morals and represent us in a way that we all think would benefit the league at the same time. Those are the only criteria for getting a "higher rank". Though again, if that's what really matters to you about joining a league, this might not be the best place you for to call home.

So to make a long answer longer, I don't really think I'm the "leader" just the person who's been in the league the longest.
  20. Dazz-252 Committed Player

Id rather have players over friends, after all, I am here to PLAY the game.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.