WE DON'T WANT PLAYERS, WE WANT FRIENDS!

Discussion in 'League Recruitment Center' started by Hemmy, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hemmy Committed Player

Hello dcuo community, for the purposes of this post I'll be introducing myself as Reyen, the leader of origin guardians. If that name sounds familiar it's because I made a post here a while back and thought it was about time to rework things and make people really understand what we are about.

I'll be explaining things by sections to help this not be one big block of text that not everyone will read. (I still hope you read all of it for reasons that will become clear...well...if you read all of this) Let me clarify something first: If you want to join a league that is simply about average CR and high player activity so you can get a group together quickly, you will be very out of place here. Please look somewhere else for that. Good luck!

General info
    We are Origin Guardians. We are located in USPS and therefore all of our members are in North America. We are a small, friendly, hero league, dedicated to helping each other out. We are currently recruiting but would like you to read the rest of this post in order to learn more. If you just want to skip this and go straight to applying, this league probably isn't the best fit for you. Age, league rank, gender, etc. Really doesn't matter and won't change the way people treat you so long as you are mature and speak english fluently. (Being eloquent and articulate are big parts of being mature)

Who we are right now
    We are a league of about 15-25 people (actual people, this isn't number of characters) who are very simply friends and happy to be playing the game together. I'm pretty sure it's only me and two others who knows everyone else as sometimes it's hard to get timezones, working hours, etc. setup so that we all see each other but we make do. We help each other out at any opportunity with whatever we can, that's kinda what this league is about, but more on that later. We've never really had a size goal but it always seems to end up between 30-40 members. Keep in mind that everyone is allowed one alt and so the numbers are roughly double the amount of actual people behind a controller. We've added several people and a few have decided to leave but throughout all that we remain happy to be playing the game and in each other's good graces.

Who we want to have in the league
    We've opened the league to invites many times and each time I admit about 10 people. About 2 of those 10 stay, the reason being that most people look for a league based on two criteria and two alone: Average CR, and high player activity. That's it. We aren't a league about having super powerful characters that can speed run the t6 content. We are a league made up of people who are either just starting to get into dcuo or are interested in helping others out. In short we want people who are looking to be in a league for the social aspect of meeting really good people and having a good time in chat or just hanging around casually doing content. If you happen to get great gear during the process then awesome, but it's not the primary objective.

We want people who are articulate and are willing to help themselves. We don't require microphones but they are nice to have. Short of a mic we ask that you at least have a keyboard so that we can have conversations that don't take 3 hours. This isn't a league for people who already have alts at t6 or want to speed through feats and raids, it's for people who haven't done that content and are rising to it slowly or are downright stuck somewhere. We want to help others, like you, out getting to be the most powerful you can.

League dynamics
    Since we don't really have any rules, I don't want to call this section simply "rules" but I do want to clarify a few things in such a section. None of us will not tolerate people who are unreasonably impatient with other players simply for being new to the game. It's just not fair and really a dick move. We're okay with things like swearing but in moderation. Racist terms are not okay in the slightest and will result in someone immediately kicking you. There isn't an age requirement per say but there is a maturity requirement. If someone is capable of writing us an eloquent and sophisticated message expressing their interest in the league then we'll let them in.

Other factors like race, age, or gender are totally irrelevant in terms of applying and joining. Please don't needlessly hit on those of the opposite gender as let's be honest, it's never going anywhere and it just makes people feel uncomfortable. As I said earlier, your league rank doesn't really matter. It shouldn't change the way you treat others or are treated yourself. It is simply who has been in the league long enough that we trust them to uphold the league's best interests.

What we're all about / history
    I started this league almost six months ago simply so that I could keep track of a few friends and we could all tell where we were at a moments notice. Shortly after I got to around 108-109 and decided instead of investing 50+ hours into 2 or 3 CR with War of the light II, I would help other people learn to play the game and rise through the tiers quickly. I've made many characters played all the campaigns more times than I care to count and I thought I'd share that information with anyone that was willing to receive it.

I started helping people out and sure enough it started to grow, then shrink, then grow again. We don't claim to be experts but we do like helping people and we seem to be relatively easy people to get along with. We also try to find people who are of a similar frame of mind and so we make up a modestly sized group of people who enjoy helping others, and we've helped many players get the knowledge they need to play the game to it's fullest. At the start it was simply myself writing in shout chat saying "anyone need any help?" and has evolved to meeting people and being able to help them over a period of many days and so take a larger part in what we can offer. We hope to be doing so for as long as we can, and for the foreseeable future.

Here's the catch
    We are more than happy to see everyone succeed and we are willing to help you with as much as it takes to get to as high a CR as you can get but in return we do ask one thing:
    We ask that you simply stay in the league once we have helped you out. This is so that once you have hit whatever your max CR is, then you can run a bunch of content with people that are at the same level who hopefully by that point you have met and are friendly with. That's all we ask. It makes us feel slightly betrayed when someone simply slips away when no one is looking without a word when we've helped each other out so much, I'm not sure why but we'll go into that later. Another thing that applies is that if we help you get to say... CR 100 or so and then for you to never help someone else out is just rude. Even at CR 50 you are seriously expected to help someone at CR 40 asking for help in any way you can. Again, this isn't a rule, but it is the way the league works, if you're not into that then well... that's a shame. Don't join in the first place.

The way league chat works for us
    We are a group of players that do content together and have fun, however, we are mostly solo players. When someone comes online that doesn't necessarily mean they want to do all the latest and greatest missions for you. If someone needs that person specifically then they can ask them for help, but otherwise we try to avoid putting things like "Hey anyone want to help me with X alert? No one? Wow... Jerks." *leaves league* in league chat. The best thing to do when joining this league is to keep in mind that we are a group of people that enjoy talking, and playing, but we don't always play the game to specifically do other things, for other people. Sometimes we just want to chill and fly around the cities for a while.

Sometimes we use league chat for communicating with one or two particular people as those involved may already be in a group and sending tells is very annoying and time consuming when sending messages back and forth. In these situations just go with it. We try to keep things small and so situations that require more than one conversation to happen in league chat at a time usually don't happen. When they do we usually work around it. In addition, large general league wide transitions will be done through the MOTD seeing as how those are rare, and our numbers so few.

Getting into the league
    It's very simple the way this will work. I'm going to tell you what the prerequisites are then you're going to leave a message in this thread with any questions you might have, why you want to join the league, a little bit about yourself etc. As well as confirming you have reached all the prerequisites with your character's Name. (please make sure you are a hero) The more you write in the post here, the more we are likely to read it and let you in. Here are the prerequisites:
    - Your character has to be lvl 30
    - You have to be mature. Age doesn't matter, but maturity REALLY matters.
    - You have to have either a keyboard or a mic.
    That's it! The rest of your post is totally up to you. Convince us you really want to be a part of this league and once you leave your post add Reyen or Satu Valentine, say hi and we'll get to know you a little better which always helps your chances. That's it!

THERE IS MORE IN THE POST BELOW!
    • Like x 2
  2. Hemmy Committed Player

Explanation of the prerequisites
    (1) - Your character has to be lvl 30
    (2) - You have to be mature. Age doesn't matter, but maturity REALLY matters.
    (3) - You have to have either a keyboard or a mic.

(1) This is in place because, personally, I think it shows a ceratin ammount of dedication to establishing yourself within this game. Not for anyone else's benefit, but your own. As I see it all the levels including all the instances that have a level requirement are basically the longest tutorial I've ever seen (besides final fantasy of course). Getting from level 1 to 30 introduces you to all the mechanics and things you might be able to expect from the game in a general sense. It shows that you're willing to put the time in and that you understand that only at level 30 does the game really begin. Everything up until that point is simply a warm up. I understand that some people may have characters that are of a higher CR than most, other than the character they want to enter into the league, but if I start letting everyone and their mothers in then it sets a different precedent than for those wanting to enter when they are just feeling their way through the game for the first time. Please keep this in mind.

(2) I kinda went into this already and I don't want to start any sort of a debate but maturity does not mean that you never make jokes or never approve of joviality. Maturity means recognizing a situation and what attitude it warrants. Personally, if you ever see me in league chat when I'm not laid back and not joking around then it's a strange day indeed, but that's because we all know each other relatively well. I expect that your sense of humor has also developed past "HAHA LOLZ HE SAID POO!!!!1!! BLAZE UP 420!" It's just not amusing and doesn't do anything except give everyone else a glimpse into what you're inner dialogue must be like.

(3) Well I think I briefly went over this as well but I'll do so again simply for the heck of it. I like people having a keyboard or mic hooked up to their PS3/4 because it makes communication easier. Without it you have to use the virtual keyboard and I think we all know how bloody slow that god awful thing can be. In order to have meaningful and quick communication, one of these things is necessary. Actually recently I've kinda been tending towards the keyboard simply because I'm tired of explaining to people that I play a female character, despite being male. (way better to look at a girls *** for 100+ hours than a dudes :p) There is nothing worse than waiting for a reply to "what instances were you thinking of?" and waiting like 5-10 minutes for a reply. We get bored.

Contacting us
    Only a few people actually represent us as a league in terms of ideals and recruitment, this isn't because we only trust a few, but rather a lot of us are busy and don't really have the time to be doing this. That said, currently Reyen is the leader of the league and in charge of that kind of stuff, Satu Valentine is also totally viable to contact as she often has more time than I do and while a little more violent, she's just as friendly. The best way to get a hold of us is obviously by posting here, but in game your best bet lies in mailing us using the existing "e-mail" system and then sending us a tell if we are online. (adding us to your friends list will tell you who is online and allow you to send tells while we are online rather than when we are not.) This allows us to know who you are whether you're online or not. Also, just saying hi when one of us logs in is always welcome and we like hearing from people and communicating with you. This will also definitely make us more likely to decide whether to add you right there and then. Obviously if you see someone like GodXera, Kid kryptonian, soldier, or frosty, honestly anyone else who's a member, just let them know you're interested but we do live in the most populated dcuo server on the planet so I'd find it unlikely you'd just run into us.

Something that works even better than asking in-game is by leaving a post here. I totally understand if you want to send one of us a PM but unfortunately we often have many conversations going on at once and it may get lost. We look at this thread above our inbox's and so leaving a post here is definitely your best bet.

What's even better is a combination of the two. The most common example of this is leaving a post on this thread and then sending us a message in game to say hi and tell us what your name on the forum is so that we can associate a name with... well.... a your name. Obviously the reverse is possible but no one has done that yet so I don't see it happening soon.

Hopefully soon I can start having other people represent us and start accepting people in from the forums because I know that one person (even myself) is liable to flaw and missing someone's messages.

If you want to join with a group of friends
    Well I feel I should add this because for the first time I had someone ask to join on behalf of a group of people. for those of you that travel through games and into leagues/guilds as a group of friends I fully endorse that decision. It's great to see that camaraderie already in place amongst a group of friends.

That being said, I cannot really add 5+ people on the word of one person. The one time I did, it lasted a matter of hours because one of those people was not of a savoury personality and I had to ask him/her to leave. This lead to an ultimatum that lead to all of them leaving. I don't want this to happen again as so if you are one of those looking for a league on behalf of more than just yourself then I'd ask:
    Please inform the other people your hanging around with to contact someone in the league. (probably only me atm) I know it's often hard to speak for a lot of people and so I'd ask that each person or at least a majority get the chance to speak with me or leave their opinions. Anyone that is added to the league is vouched for by the person that added them. That's the way it works to ensure that we aren't just adding random people just because they have a high CR/SP.

Sending people tells
    When you want to get a hold of one of us please keep the following in mind:
    WE ARE OFTEN BUSY WITH OTHER THINGS, SO:
    - Please do not try to ninja invite us to groups or chat channels. Simply ask us first, we'll be more than happy to talk, but it's annoying to suddenly be a part of a group and not know why.
    - If you are already a part of the league, please use the league menu to see where someone is before asking them if they are free to do something. If they're just chilling in the watchtower then cool. If they're in the nexus of reality, probably not the best time to start a conversation :)
    - Some (mostly meaning me) are usually in a constant state of responding to tells as soon as we log in. If someone didn't respond to you after a few minutes of sending them a tell, please just send it again. Chat goes by quickly and we often miss things. Please also keep in mind that some (also mostly meaning just me) have more than 3 or 4 conversations going at almost all times. Sometimes tells get sent to the wrong people, sometimes we'll respond with something that was meant for a different conversation. This happens, please try to understand that.
    - If you are interested in joining (see above) then please do NOT send us a tell WITHOUT leaving a forum post or sending one of us a PM. While we like talking to people, we want to allow everyone the room needed to express themselves and go in depth about why they want to join, what they hope to gain, etc. If we ask and you haven't left a post here, we will most likely simply ask you to do so before going any further.

More about league chat!
    Well I've had to explain this a few times and I might as well do so again, that way there's no more confusion. the in game "league" chat is used almost exclusively for communication with everyone in the league. Those using a keyboard, without access to a mic, will respond to people using mics in league chat more often than not. If you see a string of nonsensical half sentences flying by, that's most likely what it is.
    In voice chat, most of us have "auto channel switching" DISABLED. This is in place because we all usually talk in league chat and even when in instances, we usually stay there. It also makes talking with everyone a little more unified. If someone logs on and we're in instance chat, it's disruptive to leave instance chat and then say hi to the person in league chat, then go back to instance, leaving the one person there by themselves :(.
    To remedy this we all simply stay in league chat whenever possible!

I'll be posting more sections of information in the posts below in order to clear things up as I think of them. I really hope to be hearing form you guys (and gals) soon and can't wait to see what the community throws our way, talk to you soon!
    • Like x 1
  3. Knivxz New Player

Hi I'm a lvl 30 player, my in game name is kniivxz
  4. Hemmy Committed Player

That's good to hear but can you tell me a little more about yourself than that? This information isn't a lot to go off of. I'd like to hear from as if all the criteria I was looking for was: lvl 30, I could easily find dozens of players very quickly in the game's chat. What I'm looking for is someone who is willing to tell me a little more about their character's, experiences with the game, themselves, etc.
  5. Kyzax New Player

Best Wishes on your recruitment process!
    • Like x 2
  6. Knivxz New Player

Well a little about myself, I am 16 years old and I've played the game for a bit of time but took a long break and I am now back at playing constantly. In all honesty im not really good at the game just decent/good, my character has a cr of about 60 and all im really looking for is a group of people who want to do missions together and have fun
    • Like x 1
  7. Guideon El New Player

I am pretty commited to my league because Impervious and I have been friends for... too long now. But if you ever need a healer I will be more than happy to help when needed and or wanted :)

Brother Guideon
    108 Nature Healer
  8. Hemmy Committed Player

EDIT: What was here, is now in the original post so for now it will be occupied by this:

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  9. Hemmy Committed Player

Thanks for taking some interest, sorry I didn't see this for a while. Are you okay with the way we run the league, especially the last post I made? If you are then great! leave me a message in game so that I can add you from there. Thanks, I'll talk to you soon!
  10. Hemmy Committed Player

Thanks!
    • Like x 1
  11. Hemmy Committed Player

thanks for the offer and while we are currently looking for members I'll keep that in mind. See you around!
  12. Jared Synn New Player

Hey Reyen.names Ghetto Justice, level 30 ice dps 86cr.actually got 5 guys around 80ish.got bored of playin roles so now im checkin out dps.been here since before launch.I have the hack hoodie if no one believes me.im a 40yr old dude that works long hours but still likes to game.At the beginning I did like groupin up with people but I seriously got sick of playing with goofs and little kids.so basically ive been soloing it for a year now.kinda fits the character anyways.3 of my guys are all urban superheroes.not legendary but I have bought most of the dlcs.the important ones anyways.lately ive been wanting to join a league thats mature and casual, maybe for duos and alerts or open world stuff.because of the work thing im not always available but if you allow me to join id be more than willing to help out other members with whatever.oh yeah another thing im a human archive of comic book knowledge.i think I might have all marvel and dc comics from the last 30 yrs or so.so yeah I still kinda like this game even after everything thats happened.sorry for the wall of text, hope to hear from u soon
  13. Hemmy Committed Player

This may sound a little weird but you sound exactly like me. To the T. We'd really like to have someone like you. Send me a message in game and I can add you from there. I can't say when or for how long you'll stay but if we like you and your as you decribed then you should fit in perfectly. Talk to you soon!
  14. Hemmy Committed Player

We now have a league hall! It really cool to be able to have a league hall all to ourselves now! thanks everyone, I'll talk to you soon!
  15. observantraven New Player

Hey I would be interested in joining your league as I to wouldnt be a completely serious player after top rate stuff like urself but I really enjoy playing the game. I used to play the game quite up until the middle of last year then I took a break so I'm only now getting back into it. I have two characters I mainly use at the moment:
    Tectacore - Level 30 - Earth Tank (might need a bit of fine tuning) - this is my main character atm
    Tectasol - Level 10 - Fire (only just started him last night so should take me long getting him to level 30) - Alt character until Level 30 then possible switch just to keep things fresh.
  16. Hemmy Committed Player

Well it certainly sounds interesting, but I do see a few problems with your post, in particular the first sentence. I'd really appreciate it if you can make another post telling me a little bit about yourself. I like having a general idea of who I'm adding :) You can also send me a message in game with the names of the characters you want added and we'll see what we can do.
  17. Hemmy Committed Player

Alright I've asked a few people to simply "send me a message in game" after some have expressed interest, assuming that they have read the original post. I'm not sure that I have to much patience for those that don't read the first line of the very first post, but I understand some things slip. For those that might have forgotten, the character you should be sending messages to is "Reyen".

Hope that clears that up and I look forward to hearing from you!
  18. Hemmy Committed Player

What was originally in this post has been added to the beginning two. Sorry, I didn't notice there was a duplicate subject here for so long :p
  19. Hemmy Committed Player

I've run out of alloted space in the original post and so will be adding sections in the posts of the thread in order to answer any questions that anyone may have. Sorry about that.
  20. SatuValentine New Player

Hello there Reyen and members of Origin Gaurdians my name is SatuValentine.

I am a new player to dc universe online and have been looking for a League that best suits me. Sometimes it can be hard to find the right group of people to interact with in any MMO since many do not share the same views as I do. People who are mature, respectful, relaxed and helpful but not to the point where they do everything for you. I am convince your League is the one for me. Currently I am only level 10 but I will wait till I am level 30 to join as I completely understand I have not experienced enough. I am 24 and hope at my age I am mature enough. Last but not least I have a headset so communicating will never be a problem.

I will understand if I can not have an invite right now but I shall contact you again when I finally hit level 30.

Thank you for considering me for your League ^^
    SatuValentine
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.