Why Are Names Important?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Darkerusaelp, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Joykiller Dedicated Player

Lass works better than Lad IMO - but good on you for getting something you wanted ;).
  2. Artillery Zero Well-Known Player

I won't be reduced to a number!
  3. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

when regional servers were merged for MegaServers per region, names were given a _DNG or other name alterations (relevant to server they were on) with a token to rename the character given to the account. I'm ok with doing that again. Whereas the names of characters that have not been used in 2 years get a _MS (mega server) at the end of the name and the character of the account gets a rename token. ;)

the ones that have not played the game in 2 years vs ones playing now.... Marketing Department? your move. (a game with more names to get players into the game sooner is marketable, right? what if they spend 10 minutes trying to create a name and are unsuccessful and exit the game never to return?)

How will anyone know if the name they want it made available from potential name release task?
    I have some ideas, but it'd likely not be done.
    1) Make a thread in WIP or somewhere, of alphabetical list of names released when it is done. Current users try to make an alt on the day it happens to hold name and if wanting to change current character name to it, they quickly delete the alt and rename their other character. [potential character slot sales] rolling timeline of 2 years makes this awkward to maintain.
    2) Form a name Que, if the desired name becomes available the users who wants the name for a character gets an in-game email about the availability (first come, first served), and the original user account gets an in-game email offering 3 days to counter the situation. [potential name change token sale] Scripted (automated).
    3) random chance for a current user to discover a name is no longer used. [potential name change token and character slot sales]
    • Like x 1
  4. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

If any of this is of interest then Up voting is not enough. Bookmark it. make it into new threads. make intto a bug report thread with hundreds of votes. Pick a few options they might do and make that option repteat to them often enough that they DO something about it. IMHO, 2 years of not playing is a great buffer. Notice to user account through in-game means and possibly user account email outside game (both or one), is plenty notice that you will not be missed since you have not played the game at all or on a certain character. If you have a position on the issue, wake the F up, u uninterested in DCUO has been user or video game reviewer for some company nobody pays attention to because your character is about to loose its name to a user we actually care about.

Continue the Name Issue. By any means necessary.
    • Like x 1
  5. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

side note. video game journalism..... seriously? video games. a modern business model. has a website. when its ready its posted about on their website or ("youtube" or similar site). Journalism is not necessary in industries and/or companies that have websites. imho.

Bizarro likes random people on earth for an uncommon start of not making money!

Collective industry news... seen a fee of them now and then. come and go.
    Friend of a friend asked me about making, essentially the Amazon business model (years after amazon.com existed), and i thought..... u smoke too much. *******. I need more tigers to kill some people around here. Natural selection is not working out well enough.
  6. Toshknight Loyal Player

getting to level 20 in wow is nothing.... its a trial. another illusion believe what u want but f2p is not real. to play the game dcuo. swtor, wow. and more u goto pay to get the full experience. and it stops u on wow. wont even let u log in after level 20 , u cant make another character or anything.
    • Like x 1
  7. JSnaples Committed Player

Yeah because screw you if you are going to school, college, work, or having something important in your life for a year. Your character name is much more important in the world.
    How about get an original name instead of being upset someone has"Batman" and you don't
    • Like x 2
  8. the solowing Steadfast Player

Like i said extended trial as in free up until 20, both stwor and dcuo were retrofitted with a f2p model after sales tanked and yes you can log in once you hit 20 ive talked to alot of trial users on wow
  9. ChuckLess New Player

Really? What job, or school keeps you busy for a year+ strait? Nice try. Completely ridiculous point.
    • Like x 2
  10. Joykiller Dedicated Player

Right, no one else who plays this game regularly has a job or other commitments.....some of these excuses are borderline insane.
    • Like x 3
  11. VintageWine Dedicated Player

I think what people mean is that some people just rather focus on their life instead of focusing on a video game. Which I can understand. Like how some people deactivate their Facebook because it becomes a distraction, some people stop playing a video game for a while because it helps them focus more. People are different, I can understand that side of the argument.
  12. Zephrim New Player

It would help a lot if the devs made it so we picked our names first, not last when creating a character. Its frustrating to create a toon go through all the work of picking everything, only to get to the naming and everything I want is taken. I can't tell how many times I have gone through created a toon and then had to go back and change things because the male version of the name I wanted wasn't available but the female version was. Pick name first, (it doesn't actually save the name till you complete and publish the character, just checks to see if the name is available.) then decide the costume, powers, etc. Or have me pick the name after I pick power, and weapon and such but before I pick my costume and look. A small change like this can really change the frustrating dynamic of character creation.
    • Like x 1
  13. Toshknight Loyal Player

Thats a big opinionated point in MMOs. "ohh people dont have lives if they play mmos" "oh that guys character is so bad *** he mustnot have a life" . i say screw all people that say mmos are for people with no lives. its no different then a non mmo. instead of playing a lot of different non mmo games. u just play one game. just cause u have good characters , doesnt mean u dont have a life. its a big arguement. i for one. work from home , i repair pcs... tech support blah blah. i have a life and i have been playing mmos since 2003, to present. all video games are the same. but we pay for games like this cause there updated and given new content all the time.

comes to my real point Good mmos are and were worth the 15 bucks and month... swg... Eq2... Wow, DCUO, but now soe lets us have an all access pass for all the mmos for only 15 bucks instead of 20 , like it use to be ,, meaning if u go legendary aka subscribe u can play every MMO that soe has ,,, Eq , Eq2, planetside2, DCUO, much many more
    • Like x 1
  14. Mint Stiletto Loyal Player

Why Are Names Important?

Because otherwise people would walk around going "hey you, hey you..yeah the guy that looks like a robot...no the red one, yeah you." or "no not you the 3rd lantern from the left". :)
    • Like x 4
  15. JSnaples Committed Player

Some people actually go to college and worry about their education, nobody is going to worry about a character name while trying to do something with their life. I know for school I am gone for about 8 hours everyday so by the time I get home I only have so many hours to progress my character but some people are more dedicated than I am, as in studying or doing homework
  16. JSnaples Committed Player

Yeah because it's not like we all have different types of jobs or more dedicated to a job or education more than everyone else, no way would some people's jobs take up more time than others
  17. Joykiller Dedicated Player

I commute nearly three hours a day, have a four month old daughter, and work full time. Somehow, I find a few minutes to log on every now and then....o_O
    • Like x 2
  18. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

Very possible in the military.
    Or as a contractor stationed in the middle east, working with the military.

I've had several friends who were limited to snail mail contact for over a year in both of those situations:
    Internet access was officially limited to work applications on work computers
    and a computer isn't one of the things most people put in a duffel bag.
    Phone calls were also limited for security reasons, so I don't even know if internet access would have been possible on their own computers IF they had taken them.
    None of them took a PS3 with them, either. (PS4s weren't out yet)
  19. Johnny0276 Dedicated Player

I don't mind creating the look of a new character. It's just coming up with the name, it's like pulling teeth. I can't use hyphens or underscores, the name is invalid, taken, etc.
  20. Joykiller Dedicated Player

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Any military man (myself included) knows this motto. Sorry, you don't hold up progress and compromise the integrity of this game for *any* group of players (unless they're Legendary - their needs should be priority #1).
    • Like x 1