Fire tank

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by DCUController, Oct 26, 2014.

1. DCUController New Player

thinking of building a fire tank, to CR100, and get it beefy with SP' like I did with my HL troll, then get it geared up once I unlocked all feats I have from both my trolls on it.

any good loadouts for self heals and what have you, I will say this before hand, I plan to youtube loadouts and gameplay ect

and this is my 1st fire tank, usually if I do tanking its ice, but when fire got its revamp (visuals) I wanted to try fire tanking but was lacking SP' for it then.

also how should I spec SP? from most important to less important
  2. DCUController New Player

I know resto is the main since fire tanking is self healing.

then 2nd is it dom with 3rd being health.

also Im guessing super speed would be best for tanking or acrobats? as its on the ground in-your face movement.
  3. Dogico Loyal Player

Dominance or Health first, resto last. There's like three fire guides on here.
    • Like x 1
  4. DCUController New Player

yup I know, I have looked at 1 but I got lost in it tbh lol

either i didnt read it fully or didnt fully grasp the order to do them in o_O
  5. Dogico Loyal Player

Dom or health first with resto on the back burner. It's not going to make or break you either way.
    • Like x 1
  6. DCUController New Player

yea korlick in another thread said to mod

dom/health in red / blues
    and resto / health in yellows

so figured with the dom health taking more slots it would be more viable / important as well for SP then resto but if possible to get resto once all dom / health were gotten.
  7. xskateXX Well-Known Player

Well fire tank is diffrent you have alote of health and ur own hot
    Apart from that u habe breakout and pull that will heal u fpr 2k each
    If u need to move and release block use burning deteminatipn will heal u 3 next hits
    Also flight fire tanks habe advantage cuz they have long and close range pull
    1 low pressure
    2backdraft
    3-stokes flames ur hot
    4burning detemination
    5-eternal flame sc for oh **** moments
    6burnout ur breakout
  8. BrandonB Well-Known Player

Self-heals are laughable at best for end game content. Mod Dom/Health in everything regardless of the color of the socket mod.
  9. DCUController New Player

I figured this much, but leading all the way up to T6 raiding though it will help though I assume as alot of lower level healers are kinda stupid lol
  10. Guilty_iNNOCENCE8o8 New Player

CAUTION: LONG @$$ POST

First off there's a lot of good guides. Check out Kristyana's or Soulburn's. Soulburn's Trailblazing Guide has lots of replies, and apparently it's the "fire community" thread. Check um out.. read them.. understand them & mix it with in-game experience. Fire tanking takes practice, bluntly stated, and is in no way like Ice, Rage or Earth. My best way to put it is Fire tanking is "manual" or "stick shift" tanking whereas the others are "automatic transmission". You control every aspect of the management of your health. You're in full control by means of blocks and self inflicted- not automatically inflicted like Rage- self-heals (although I believe the healing could use a buff of some sort to better balance Fire, especially ones with fresh gear into new content). You have lots of health sure, but your defense lacks a lot, so a few hits can mean detriment to your health bar. Even though we (fire tanks) get a healing buff (making it easier to fully restore health bars by healers), constant negative fluctuations in health can stress even the most seasoned healer. My best tips, learn your rotation (duh) & make sure BLOCKING is part of your rotation. Usually, I block right after hitting Backdraft (AoE pull). Cuts the animation and lets you regroup yourself for your next move. Also, a little tip here (I have no secrets), clipping Burnout & your breakout trinket is a great great great way to cut your animations. To me, I find that a power's casted animation is a window of vulnerability where you can possibly spike damage even if it does heal you (cast power = no block, fairly minimal heal + big attack = heal for nothing), so use your heals with the goal in mind = to RESTORE health, not to NEGATE it. That's a problem I see many beginner Fire tanks do, they think self healing is what they're about, when really, it is just a complimentary asset to our main asset, which is = high health. So protect your health. Treat it like bullets if you're gunning it out in an old western shoot out scenario = you wouldn't waste away your bullets firing aimlessly; you would pick your shots carefully and aim straight to hit your target- making most of your bullets. Same with your health. They're your "bullets", so I recommend conserving as much ammo as you can (by effective blocking) and self heal when there's an open window when enemies aren't attacking. Also, breakouts are any tank's best friend, especially for fire tanks, one reason would be = Burnout's clippablity into a VERY quick block. Take this oh crap moment for example = your health is at 75% / you're blocking against a hard hitting boss / he block breaks you / you're down to 65%/ you cast Burning Determination to breakout / cast Backdraft between his attack -> quickly clip into Burnout / then IMMEDIATELY block / get a sizeable self heal, alone will shoot you up to around or above 90% health. Back to Burnout's clippablity, I love clipping it (but don't be too trigger happy with it.. it's your most reliable breakout)- when you cast Burnout or breakout trinket (which also buffs your CC resistance), the animation is QUICK- and I mean QUICK. You can enter block (your shield) IMMEDIATELY, which is great for cutting down the moderately long cast times of Backdraft, Enflame, or Stroke Flames to bring yourself back into block very quickly- plus it heals you. I only really use this tactic in Survival, or against strong hitting enemies where hard hits are literally EVERYWHERE. Okay I'm ranting now, so I'll stop here (after I post my loadout & mods tips hehe) ^_^ try it out, you will see what I mean.

Suggested Loadout:

1. <Enflame> 10% control resistance, PI starter & CC
    2. <Backdraft> AoE pull, heals, CC
    3. <Burning Determination> Breakout, nice heals, Thernal Absorption PI starter for power regen
    4. <Burnout> Great breakout, CC, burst heal, clipping into a quick block
    5. <Absorb Heat> *must use with Empowered Channeling tac mod* Amazing heals, single target CC, ranged taunt.
    --This is a controversial power. Must be used with EC to be truly effective, but I always use it. It does lock you into place, but it can be jump clipped to cancel out of it. Also, it is a free taunt to use on burning enemies as it activates the TA PI. Ranged, and try using it against a single add..or against certain bosses. You will see why it's so great. If I'd have to replace it, I'd replace it with Mesmerizing Lasso or Grapple Line (Acrobatics) for a single target pull.
    6. <Stroke Flames or Flashpoint> SF for massive self heal & burning PI, F for the best freaking juggle in the whole game ;) hehe nah seriously... clip it with Staff's double-jumping-ground-smash melee combo (idk what it's called, I Brawl, but do love Staff) and send adds flying off your screen... literally

Iconics you can get at least 3 or 4 (likely 4 or even up to 6 with some loadouts): Get the +100 Health, +25 DOM, both critical HEALS. Extra power point I'd suggest Reignition as a 25% Supercharge. Massive burst heal for oh crap moments and at 25%, it's realistic to keep because it's reasonable to build. Eternal Flame at 50%, maybe, but a quad clipped <Backdraft+Burning Det+Stroke Flames+Burnout> will refill your entire health bar, or at least bring you back up to speed. Plus at 50% it will be difficult to build back up because you will be blocking most of the time during engagement. You may say, "that's all your mana", well, here you block, soak up the PoT and recharges until you can cast to refresh agro. Even a triple clip of Backdraft+SF+BD will bring you back up to speed- but again, it's for "oh crap" moments only.

Mods:

Listen to Dogico & Korlick (above posts). Health/Dom is your best friend, but if you're using Synthtics, I'd suggest DOM DOM DOM (I can't get enough DOM). It calculates into your self heals. Resto is last, but it is a nice cherry on top (esp the last tier ones that give you +30 resto) Order of importance = DOM, HEALTH, CRIT HEALS, RESTO

OK LONG *** POST!! WORLD BACK ON NOW SO YAYYYYY!! :D whew.

P.S. I hope you love Fire as much as I do. It's my original power, and my FAVE. I've played all the tanks, but none give me the same sense of gratification that Fire does. There's no other power like it (esp Tanking).
  11. Magnificent Loyal Player

The first thing you need to understand about Fire Tanks is the three ways we mitigate damage:

1. Higher health - For 12 seconds after firing off a power we get 2.2 extra pts of health for every poing of Dom
    2. We get a much higher healing modifier than any other tank powerset
    3. Self-heals

With that, the priority of SP allocation should be:

1. Healing % increases (chance to crit heal, max crit heal amount)
    2. Dom
    3. Health
    4. Resto

I put the % healing increase first because it gives a much greater benefit as time goes on whereas non % increases give diminishing returns as more levels of SP are added to the game (like the WM ones) as well each time higher-tiered gear comes out.

Dom comes in 2nd because it serves two purposes for Fire Tanks: to increase our health and to increase crowd-control ability (like pulling enemies in with Backdraft).

Health beats out Resto for #3 only because it's persistent. One might argue that higher Resto is persistent as well, but Resto isn't useful at all unless you are being healed (by yourself or someone else). Something has to happen in order for Resto's utility to be realized. Higher persistent health is its own utility.

As a Fire Tank I couldn't give a $^%* less about getting WM, but what I do care about are the stat bonuses below them. Allocate your SP to get your % increases then focus on trees that give you the most Dom, Health &/or Resto than the others and work those until you open the bottom level of SP and get the Health/Dom & Resto ones. The amount of return they give is good enough that it makes more sense to get them both once you get access to them rather than going down another tree just to unlock the bottom level of Health\Dom.

In actual play, Fire Tanks are going to block a loooooooot more than Ice. Even with blocking you'll notice that your health is spikey. It's normal, don't worry about it. A half-decent healer that has worked with Fire Tanks before can keep you going with no problem.

My loadout looks like this:
    1. Fireball (ranged taunt to aggro critters to me instead of running around after them, it also sets them on fire\Burning)
    2. Stoke Flames (heal over time for 6 seconds, largest non-SC self-heal for Fire Tanks)
    3. Backdraft (AE pull and knock-up, heals if an enemy is Burning)
    4. Burning Determination (Group Cleanse, self-heal and usable while Controlled)
    5. Burnout (Group Cleanse, self heal)
    6. Eternal Flame (50% SC, turns all incoming damage into healing, there's a cap for the amount of damage coming in at one time but someone with decent stats can Block through just about anything short of a scripted Enrage with EF up and blocking).

Hope this helps :)
    • Like x 1
  12. L T Devoted Player

Others have said it, but it bears repeating: Fire tanking is not really about self-healing. Even a bad healer will heal you much more than you can heal yourself.

Fire tanking against a boss is very much about the basic mechanics of the game-- especially against the bosses that block-break a lot.

If you want to use weapon mastery, you will need a combo that is very very short. Tap-hold or hold-hold longest, because you're very vulnerable when you come out of your block. Staff has a short block-breaker combo and a short interrupt combo.

My loadout -

enflame - absorb heat - backdraft - stoke flames - burning det - reignition

absorb heat is a great long-range taunt and returns power and heals when used against burning enemies.