skimming , just read my thread

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Peach4saints, Oct 23, 2014.

1. tukuan Devoted Player

Really it's two separate things as you can always use the mode on a new toon at no additional cost.

That being said I agree to a point and thought it'd be a good idea to package the mode and a respec, even if just as a temporary offer when launching a new mode.
    • Like x 3
  2. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

Premiums pay to unlock makes sense to me.... what's the point of Legendary if Premium players don't have to pay for extra features.
    Skimming is not really any different that a new weapon or DLC.

I also understand that movement mode tokens might seem like playing twice for one thing... But everyone who has access to skimming has the option to make a new toon with it.

If Skimming is free for premiums, then logically it follows that movement mode respecs should be free for Legendary.
  3. LucidityKJ Dedicated Player

Why is everybody saying you're paying twice for one thing? It's exactly the same as it's always been.

When the DLC came out with the electric powers, you didn't pay for the electric powers and suddenly your character had them. If you wanted your guy to have them, you also had to buy a respec token.

Nothing is any different here than it has been. I don't understand where this "gimme more" attitude is coming from.
    • Like x 2
  4. Ivar New Player

Ok, if this is how they want to play their greedy little game, then they can stick it where the sun don´t shine. :mad:

At first I was pleasantly surprised with this long overdue polish to this very aged game, but if it´s just an excuse for yet another money grab then the DCUO team has lost yet another rank on my Gaming list.

THIS is the exact reason why I don´t subscribe anymore.
    Getting shackled into supporting every shortsighted design decision that floats through these heads.
    And yes I´m aware of the irony that a sub would´ve given me this damn thing "for free".:rolleyes:

I don´t even want it anymore. :oops:
  5. LucidityKJ Dedicated Player

Ivar, seriously, it makes perfect sense. Put down your beggar's cup and think about it logically for a minute.

Unlocking the movement mode is one thing in itself. It's a new feature they're selling. It's like the shield, or a new power, etc. It's for sale (or for legendary members). So, okay, you buy it. Great! Now you have four movement modes!

Now, let's say you're flying. If you want superspeed, do you get to change to SS for free just because you have it unlocked? No. You have to get a respec token. Thus, if you want to change to skimming, it follows the exact same logic as every other movement mode. It's... not hard to grasp.
    • Like x 2
  6. Ivar New Player

It´s neither a new weapon nor a new power.
    It adds absolutely nothing new to the game but flesh out the ancient 3 movement modes with a sorely needed new flight variant.
    It is indeed nothing but a new style choice, yes there´s enough of those for sale. So why the fuss?

Simply because THIS is a much needed polishing up of the game´s available flight modes with a downright iconic one we know from the comic books.
    Charging money NOW for this is like turning the wheel back and starting to charge money for superspeed or grappling next to the "free flight mode".

I know people don´t understand why this is a bad thing.
    Just the same people that don´t understand why treating the Premium player like dirt is a very stupid thing.

I only started playing some short weeks ago and already see that the greedy monetization is far surpassing any amount of modernization of this old game engine.
    • Like x 2
  7. DarkThorn Dedicated Player

Let me state the often used quote, "DCUO is free to play, it is NOT free to make." In order for the game to continue, it needs to generate revenue. When it went from a subscription based system to a 'free to play' it had to find ways to generate revenue, and one of those ways are the micro-transactions. It certainly wasn't free for them to devote resources to designing Skimming, it isn't free for them to devote resources to making current and future content... in order for them to continue this game, it needs to generate revenue. If you don't want to buy the DLCs, styles, whatever... you don't have to, that is your choice, but if you want these things, you have to pay for them. I don't get how people cannot grasp this concept. Do you walk into a store and say, "I want this shirt, but why should I pay for it?" It is akin to what some people here are asking for, "this game is free to play, so why shouldn't I have everything for free?" Because the game costs money to maintain and develop, and if you want the shiny cool things, guess what, you need to pony up and support the game by paying for it.
    • Like x 2
  8. Ivar New Player

No it´s actually totally not.
    For you and the others I´ll explain it again.
    What cab would you rather ride in, the new one with proper air conditioning and electric windows or the ratty old one with smelly upholstering and manual window crank?

This game is the later, it needs to keep up.
    And as it hasn´t the in house ability to properly upgrade the graphics engine to post 2010 standards, that leaves adding shenanigans like skimming. FOR FREE.

There´s enough frikken monetization everywhere already.
    And if somebody important could finally grasp the "sales concept" there would be even more money flowing in.
  9. DarkThorn Dedicated Player

Let's put it this way... they have already stated that many of the problems lie in the underlying game architecture, and the only way to 'fix' that is to completely recreate the game. Newer games that run better utilize a different game architecture, which is why they can do more, but unfortunately DCUO is at the mercy of decisions made by the original game designers so they have to make the best of what they have.

Also, if you want the new cab, then buy a PS4, the air conditioning and electric windows work great! :D

It is also funny, Ivar, that you stated you've only been playing this game a 'few short weeks' but yet many of us have been playing this game for years and are happy with it- especially on the PS4 which did receive a huge graphics update. The game is what it needs to be for a superhero game IMO- this isn't supposed to be FF or Destiny.
  10. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

And how do you think the cabbie with the brand new car with all the latest mod-cons got that car? Correct, they had to pay for it, it didn't just get magically upgraded just because the automobile manufacturing sector came out with seats that dispensed pleasant scents each time you farted
  11. Ivar New Player

Thank you for driving that poor metaphor completely into the ground.
    [IMG] Lets agree to disagree(& that you´re completely wrong).

Yes, you´ve all been playing this game for ages. Most even on these weird little Japanese Blue Ray players. :p

I´ve had a similar experience in a game called EVE Online, been playing it for nearly a decade.
    But those Icelanders actually recently managed to completely overhaul their graphics engine. FOR FREE.
    And not just apply a half decent texture pack and some lighting upgrades.

It´s clear the team here cannot match that, they only have SONY as their financial backbone.o_O

So the best option to stay competitive is to keep the coolest things from new people and lure them in by forcing them into a VERY out of fashion subscription model...
    [IMG]

I´ve said my piece.
    I´ve nothing against ya´ll having fun with this, but IMHO it´s being handled completely wrong by TPTB here.
  12. Abisial Committed Player

Some people don't give a rats behind about graphics...
  13. Zeo Committed Player

This would categorize a tying sale on my country and that's illegal here, basically they can't sell you a product that requires you to buy another product, can a american citizen clarify this to me please? I'm swear that i'm not trying to flame.

I found some articles about the tying sales, they say that it may or not be illegal, I didn't understand very much.

Tying arrangement
    Definition

An agreement in which the seller conditions the sale of one product (the "tying" product) on the buyer's agreement to purchase a separate product (the "tied" product) from the seller. Alternatively, it is also considered a tying arrangement when the seller conditions the sale of the tying product on the buyer's agreement not to purchase the tied product from any other seller. See Eastman Kodak v. Image Technical Services, Inc., 504 U.S. 541 (1992).

Overview

Tying arrangements are not necessarily unlawful. Antitrust concerns are raised by tying arrangements to the extent that they are used to maintain or augment the seller's pre-existing market power or impair competition on the merits in the market for the tied product.

Where a tying arrangement is unlawful, it may be illegal per se or illegal under the rule of reason. The requirements for a per se violation are: the forced purchase of one commodity in order to obtain a separate desired commodity or service; possession by the seller of sufficient economic power with respect to the tying product to restrain free trade in the market for the tied product; and that the arrangement affects a not insubstantial amount of commerce in the market for the tied product. If the requirements for a per se violation are not met, a tying arrangement may be illegal under the rule of reason if: it results in an unreasonable restraint on trade in the relevant market under § 1 of the Sherman Act; or its probable effect is a substantial lessening of competition in the relevant market under § 3 of the Clayton Act.
  14. DCUController New Player

funny you say this, because I as a premium member spend crazy $ on this game, have for 3 years, 2 on my main come dec, yet they treat ALL premiums as if we all spent only $5 on MP.
    • Like x 1
  15. LucidityKJ Dedicated Player

Zeo,

Well, as far as I know (I don't know your country) this product isn't MADE in your country, it's simply available to you. Thus, I can imagine your laws wouldn't really apply.

Also, you're technically not FORCED to purchase a second item. If you only purchase Skimming, and do NOT purchase a re-spec token, then that's fine. You can still use skimming on any NEW chraacters. The respec is only to put the skimming on your current character. So they're not forcing you to make two purchases, really.

Hope this helps.
    • Like x 1
  16. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

No, that's your affliction (being crazy ain't a problem for me :p

What you failed to take note of, is that for a consumer to get the nice shiny upgrades on their existing products, those existing products need to either be upgraded or replaced, and it's going to cost to do either

SOE came up with a new movement type, those who have a subscription get it free, those who don't have one have to pay to unlock it, and both have to buy a respec token if they want it on an existing character
  17. Zneeak Devoted Player

I feel your pain, but... If you have paid what you paid, you got permanent content, right? If i miss out on my subscription i'm not even able to enter the content. In what way are premiums treated badly? Last time a DLC came out, all you premium dudes got to enter the content the same day as legendary dudes, one of the most important perks of being legendary was scrapped in favor to you guys.

I mean, all of you who stick to premium, know by now what premium and its restrictions means towards the legendary "all access" subscription type. If you intend to spend a lot of money, why not just go for a subscription and make sure that you have that "all access" feeling you think that you should have for your money?

The problem is that most f2p and premiums DO pay 5 $ and then expect the devs to design them an own raid in this community, it's sad but true.

BUT! As far as Skimming goes... Yeah, this time around i think it should be "unlocked" for everyone already, and that you only have to pay for a re-spec token to get Skimming on an existing character. Why? Because it's a variant that doesn't offer you new feats or progression in any kind, it's just a style. But on the other hand, if they did this, just once, that would be enough reason to keep this community thinking that they could get ANYTHING for free, so I understand the dilemma and why the devs apporach the sale in this matter.

If you really want skimming, and the devs "sales approach" really is this much of a disappointment to you people, everytime, then maybe you should consider the all access-module, or get used to the facts that f2p and premiums always has and always will be separated from the all access.
  18. Zeo Committed Player

Oh I know that, only USA laws works, but I misunderstood what the players said, once I read the oficial information about the movement modes variant I understood the whole thing.

• flight, Superspeed, Acrobatics in the future won't will exist anymore, they will be VARIANTS instead;
    • you purchase movement variant for your account, not for one character like some players are claiming;
    • in order to access a new variant on a character that utilizes another, we will have to respec our movement mode, like we do with our powers;
    • however, new characters can be made with any variant.
    • Like x 1