How do I report an offensive game name? I have a screenshot. Thanks in advance.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by ou812puzzledalo, Sep 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sbel Devoted Player

Two points:

1) I find it hilarious that all the points you're trying to make about comics are being censored.

2) I'm sorry, but if your name is "Himmler88" then I am going to make assumptions about you. I won't report you but that's because I'm lazy, not because I don't think you're a racist PoS.
    • Like x 3
  2. Genesispanpan New Player

but there is more thsn one himmler and 88 is a number with many meanings, hell the guys real name could be himmler for all you know, not defending n a z i s but damn ppl get ******** too easily
  3. Sbel Devoted Player

It's not the "himmler" that's the problem and it's not the "88" that's the problem, it's the "himmler88" that is the problem.

Do you think a guy named himmler would a) use his real last name in dcuo and b) be unaware what his name with those numbers means?
    I mean, does anyone use their real last name in DCUO?
    • Like x 1
  4. Hraesvelg Always Right

I just witnessed an adult use the Helen Lovejoy defense in a non-ironic manner. Mark one on the wall. The internet isn't a babysitter. If someone is letting your kids access it without supervision, that's on the parent. I say this as someone who has nearly adult children that weren't raised in a sanitized bubble. Life is messy, make sure you have your towel.
  5. Sbel Devoted Player

So you're saying people racists aren't responsible for what they say or do?
  6. Sore Steadfast Player

There's always a line that shouldn't be crossed. You're picturing fairly innocuous offenses. Even right now I could think of a name that you would not defend. Or if you did, you would be looked upon as a monster for doing so.

EDIT: And yet over drinks in a bar, I could work into a distasteful joke and make you laugh.
    • Like x 2
  7. Hraesvelg Always Right

You might be surprised. I'm a fairly extreme advocate for non-censorship. I may not agree with what you say, but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it.
    • Like x 1
  8. Sbel Devoted Player

Bah. Not giving someone a platform isn't the same as censorship.
  9. Sore Steadfast Player

Would you defend a name glorifying sexual abuse to a toddler?
  10. Hraesvelg Always Right

I'd rather someone be right out in the open about what they think, even if I might personally find the view abhorrent.
  11. Hraesvelg Always Right

I think you're confusing my advocacy of being able to say anything with my agreeing with the ideas expressed.

But now that you mention it, I can think of a few that could be amusing. It also has a good deal to do with intent. An ironic over-the-top name could be hilarious. And honestly, most of the outrageous "offensive" names are meant to be trolly in nature. They're meant to get a rise out of the pearl clutchers.
  12. Sbel Devoted Player

heh, it's cute that you have so much faith in humanity.
  13. Hraesvelg Always Right

It's a cultural thing. The Venn diagram overlap between gamers and trolls would be pretty high. That's why an offensive name in a game...pshaw. Someone trying to get a rise. Mostly likely a joke.

A politician calling for the extermination of a race? I actually applaud that. I'd rather someone be an outright racist rather than try to dog whistle it with phrases like "urban". Makes it easier to spot the loons.
  14. Sore Steadfast Player

Point is that those kind of jokes might be funny in a bar. Less funny in a preschool. More funny by a comedian on stage. Less funny in a video game with 10-12 year old kids playing. It's about context and judgment. At the end of the day there's still a line that you might laugh at if someone else crosses but not even you would cross. As a company, you can't be surprised if SOE takes a more conservative stance for the sake of maintaining a broader demographic and not making the news. You also can't be surprised if the "community" (and not just the oversensitive peeps) has a line less conservative than SOE but more conservative than Internet trolls.
  15. Sbel Devoted Player

But you're just assuming that every offensive name/statement you hear is a joke. So isn't there a fairly high chance that one of your friends is an actual racist, etc, who assumes that you agree with him since you responded positively (laughing and joking) to all of his racist (or whatever) statements and stayed friends with him?
  16. Liongale Dedicated Player

Is this where I can say the irony that people are offended that someone is offended?

To share a life lesson I have learned about people while I'm here: you'll never convince someone to feel another way about something by scolding, threatening, or making light of how they feel.
    • Like x 2
  17. Hraesvelg Always Right

Who said anything about being offended? I'm merely providing an alternative viewpoint in the marketplace of ideas.
  18. Liongale Dedicated Player

Not I. More about the anti-snitching things in the first page.

edit: I wrote that post before I even got to anything you posted in the thread.
  19. Hraesvelg Always Right

Ah, gotcha.
  20. ou812puzzledalo Well-Known Player

Comes down to this (SOE) games rules. Break the rules, your decision. Paying for it is on the individual. Advocate all the freedom of speech you want. Reed the rules. Freedom of speech isn't in them. Anyone feeling that they shouldn't be held accountable for breaking the rules shouldn't play. As in life, don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
    • Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.