New content and powers: are we paying twice as before?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Aglorenzini, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Aglorenzini Dedicated Player

So I've decided to create a thread for this question I have.
    We used to pay $15 for a DLC, new content and power. Now that new powers and content will no longer be bonded I assume they'll come in separate DLCs. Will we have to pay double the price we used to pay to get both power and content?

I read that the devs might release the DLC parts separately and then mae a bundle with all of it. But that also makes me question about release dates and prices. Will it be more expensive to buy the parts separately? What if they're released in different dates. I buy the first part with content and then the last part with a new power is announced, there goes more money.

In my opinion, new powers should be available to all players who have the last DLC released, that way they're still not connected but I don't have to buy 2 DLCs that, in the past, used to be one.

Please, devs, let me know what you're thinking. Even if I don't like how you organize it I want to plan how I'll spend my money.
    • Like x 4
  2. xXS0EXx Committed Player

When u purchase a DLC that haves a new power on it ur still going to pay for a token if u wanna change a previous character.

What this new feature does is let u buy those things separately so if ur premiun and u don't want the dlc u can buy the power alone for ur personal use but still u would have to pay for the token if u want a previous character to change. In other words u can spent more or less money depending on how u wanna buy this content.
  3. Sinnvoll Well-Known Player

Probably gonna have to pay twice yeah (maybe triple if you consider some previous DLC's brought legends chars).
    I don't see them making the content $7.5 and the power another $7.5.
    But im really curious to see
  4. Black Jaq Devoted Player

What I imagine for premium is you will only need to buy the new power out of market place which will come with a respec token, just as you would buy a DLC. This would apply to Munitions, Atomic and ES only.

I don't see them separating, Light, Earth, Rage etc from their DLCs.
    • Like x 1
  5. DaKrushmor Loyal Player

From where is value 15$. l always assumed as 10$ for DLC packs, while 15$ is monthly payment for Legendary (unless for prolongated period it has less monthly payments, while bigger one-time. E.g year costs 120$ - i.e. 10$ per mth).
    Today new high-level content DLC's are cost 10$, just like any other DLC's. As for powers - l dunno exactly, but we see at Skimming how would they organize that (l assume it's through SC cash, since was talking about Marketplace at QnA). Skimming & Powers probably will cost same & it might be 500 SC or 1000 SC. Maybe power tokens costing 500 SC will be released for Light - Rage powers & shield weapon too, so players could pay 5$ to obtain just power or buy content DLC for 10$ (e.g. Origin Crisis) & take Quantum Powerset Token as a gift. And maybe Tokens for Home Turf mods & Utility Belts too costing 500 SC. This way l could spend mah 1000 SC for Nuclear Cyborg (Atomic = 500 SC) & Utility Belts (500 SC), cuz donate just for it = Toad Strangling.
    This way Munitions, Atomic & Serums tokens will probably just not have possibility to take it as a gift with content DLC. Further content DLC's are high-tier & respectively more expensive than lower-tier DLC's & thus explained why they haven't gifts.

Devs, please make Skimming/Powers purchasable via Station Cash!! Legends (which receive it monthly) won't waste too much money from this decision, because they will have access to it anyways.

A fortiori New Powers are not a DLC themselves. It's more like Account Upgrades, just like Extra Character Slots, Extra lnventory Slots etc. DLC stands downloadable CONTENT pack, keyword here is CONTENT. Or will Skimming (& only Skimming) be DLC 13, then everyone will mess up it with Amazon Fury #2, so no plz. :confused:
    • Like x 2
  6. DarkThorn Dedicated Player

No power has come with a respec token other than when Light was initially released but they even stopped offering that long ago. Most powers that came with a DLC required you to either start a new character or separately purchase a power respec token for an existing character. It is possible they could offer both the new power and a respec token in a combined bundle, but I imagine that they will simply just sell the power and make it the player's choice as to either start a new character with the power or separately buy a respec token for an existing character.

I think the existing cost of Legends characters is an indicator of the pricing for them, I would imagine a power would cost $10. The reason I think this is because look at the cost of a power respec token, cost of a name change, cost of movement mode respec, all of them are $10. Sure long-time premium players would grumble because they used to get them all combined for $10, but the devs could counter and say that, "we're bringing you content faster now by separating them" since the majority always want something new frequently.
    • Like x 1
  7. Little Sister New Player

I was thinking about this yesterday.

If the powers are now going to be sold separate, but the DLCs remain the same prices, Premiums who want everything will now be paying more money.

Let's say there are 4 DLCs a year. That's $60. It used to include powers or whatever other gimmicks. Now if a Premium player wants everything, they'll be paying $60 plus whatever they decide to make powers cost.

They said it's so people can "pick and choose" what options they want, but it will only be viable if they lower the DLC costs from now on. Otherwise, yes, they are squeezing you.

Legendary is like the only smart option left if you enjoy having everything.
    • Like x 5
  8. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

Was it ever not the only smart option;)
    • Like x 5
  9. Minnion Devoted Player

Personally I'm kind of hoping they don't charge us for access to the new powers.(It's a given that new powers sell power respec tokens anyways so it's not like they won't make money from "giving" them away.)
  10. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

You'll be paying more, but it'll likely be worth more. Put it this way, look at the full range of content we're getting with WotL 2. That's likely something we couldn't get if bundling a power was tossed into the mix. More content put into DLC missions, if the trend continues, and if this is a factor into why WotL 2 turned out as stated, then yeah, you'll be paying more, but it's worth it that much more. DLC quality (hopefully going forward for all) is improved. If you don't want the DLC, the power alone will be sold separately. That's a win for either player, and a win for both for SOE's DCUO team.
  11. Little Sister New Player

Oops, I just noticed above that my DLC prices are wrong, I meant to say $40.
    • Like x 3
  12. Omega Boy Committed Player

Yes. Well maybe not twice as much since powers and other player packages haven't been priced, but yes, premiums will be paying more for the same thing.
  13. Will Power Loyal Player

Me personally if they Charge 10 dollars per power I'm down however Legendary always gets everything tied in a nice little bow. However I'm going to do what I always do pay for the Sub when it runs out I'm going to buy up everything that is tied to the new content.
  14. VariableFire Loyal Player

Another consideration for newer players: they may want the power but they may not be anywhere near being able to use the rest of the DLC.
    • Like x 3
  15. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

The decision to split content, powers, Legends characters and player packs into separate entities is one of the best business decisions they've ever made in the time I've been following them.
    1. Powers no longer have to be themed around the DLC.
    2. Legends characters no longer have to be relevant to the DLC.
    3. DLCs are no longer burdened with building and balancing powers/legends characters meaning more focus and effort can go into the DLCs themselves.
    4. Legends characters get released much faster.
    5. The devs make more money which keeps the game alive for longer.
    I'm personally glad that they've decided to go this route. Not only does it bring in more revenue for them using good, honest tactics rather than placing heavy inconveniences on us players to force the money from our hands, but it also encourages players to sign up for Legendary membership.

Using legends characters alone, I'm more excited about the new Legends characters, which have no connection to any of the planned DLCs for the new year, than I would be if they were releasing Mr Miracle/Big Barda/Kalibak/Mantis/Carol Ferris/Fatality etc. due to the fact that they would have to be related to the DLCs.

Good move on their part.
    • Like x 7
  16. DCUController New Player

yea but still that MORE then it use to be, their just getting greedy nowadays, its starting to become sad really.
    • Like x 1
  17. SansNom New Player

But, what if membership is useless for me?? What i must to do in that case? I don't need extra cash. I have full inventory and bank upgrade. If i need, i'll buy replays when it's need for me. I'm buying every DLC. I don't need loxboxes... Membership just USELESS for me... and i must pay for it 15$?? Why i must pay 15$ per month for something that i don't need? Or, i must pay 15$ for DLC and 5-10$ for new Powerset and 10$ for respec?? 30-40$ for each DLC and new Powerset?
  18. Little Sister New Player

I think it will boil down to how much powers are going to be. If they charge $10 for a new power, when you used to be able to get a new power and a bunch of content for the same price, it's a bad idea.
    • Like x 4
  19. Omega Boy Committed Player

3/5 of your points are about legends characters not being tied to a DLC. How many of the first 11 DLCs had legends characters tied to them?

Separating the player package makes sense from a business perspective, but I don't get how everyone is concluding that it's a positive for the players. There is no way to spin this. The player package that was either included with a DLC or given for free will now cost extra. The trade off supposedly is a faster release schedule, but the DLC appears to be right on time with the player package following later.
  20. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

The decision isn't motivated by greed, but the need to keep content releasing more rapidly throughout the year and not focusing releases in bundles that only release quarterly. It's an attempt to win back players with conflicting interests in other games/etc by keeping DCUO relevant/topical more often than it could before. Given the tech that DCUO is limited/confined to, that rapid release shift is going to be key in maintaining a player base moving forward.
    • Like x 2