Announcing War of the Light Part II!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Jafin 10000 Post Club

We don't know yet.
  2. Azria Active Player

This is interesting.. Females get Star Sapphire gear. To bad we don't have gender change token. Say can we have a male version of Star Sapphire gear like the one in Green Lantern v4 57 (2010) when a guy got possess by predator. I'm ok with that look compare to being look like a manhunter.
    • Like x 1
  3. Livingston New Player

They've already given themselves a perfect way to bypass DC restrictions on who has what ring powers. As long as character's powers come from the mists rather than normal rings, they can give anyone they want any of the powers, which they've already done with normal DC characters. And I can think of a dozen ways to explain them having a ring on top of that.

In any case, they did say specifically in the session where they announced the other new powers (munition's etc) that they are specifically looking at releasing skimpier costumes for both male and female characters, so we can show off some of the cool skin effects we can choose.
  4. Torinth New Player

I genuinely can't wait for this, and I hope they bring the blue lantern as playable with this, I've been waiting for that to be released since the day they announced War of the Light.
  5. Jafin 10000 Post Club

They're not. Mepps already confirmed that they currently have no plans for any more Lantern powers.
    • Like x 1
  6. TK PUSHA Dedicated Player

gotta say i have good timing.
    just started thinking about returning from a hiatus this week and i'm stoked to see this dlc coming up soon.
    i hope i can catch up in time.
    • Like x 1
  7. Livingston New Player

Yeah. Instead they just let you earn a blue hope costume, acquire a blue aura as a rare drop, buy blue hard light weapons from the store, and play characters that have blue light powers in Legends...

But no blue light powers for you! (said with best soup **** impression)

(Oh and taunt us by giving them to every other super npc that's not supposed to have them...)
    • Like x 3
  8. Valsmurf Loyal Player

Well it looks spectacular tbh. I am especially pleased that they worked with their limitations to be able to give us some more open looking and feeling spaces. Jens told us already about how difficult it is for them to do open stuff, but this is a sign that they listen to us and try to incorporate it to the content somehow.

Content-wise i think you guys have finally struck that balance you have been looking for. I really cannot see how anyone could criticize the content structure of this dlc. We have at least 1 of everything and that is just awesome!

It does feel kinda weird that DLCs don't come with player packages like powers, movement modes etc anymore, but I understand your reasons and this dlc shows that decision is paying dividends. It's the first time since launch that you guys will hit 4 dlcs in a year. It's also the year with the most legends characters released and there have been some really nice additions like armories and teleporters.

As far as powers, I'm ecstatic that we're NOT getting any more friggin lantern powers, I'm really looking forward to the announced power sets especially serums. Although i hope you still work with that name to something that could include powers from other characters like Metamorpho. Maybe chemicals would be more appropriate idk.
  9. Valsmurf Loyal Player

Seems like Blue Lantern powers is the new Water isn't it? :confused:
  10. Livingston New Player

Sorry bub, even though super strength is one of the most ubiquitous powers in the DC universe, and you can even buy super strength as an iconic power, if you want is a powerset, you gotta be a juicer!

Why? Because apparently Brainiac utilizes logic in relation to powers, so if the devs do so as well, that would make them evil. And if they were evil they might do other horrible stuff like force our characters to be exposed to radiation, or blow up things, or get hooked on drugs, or... wait a sec! (Inserts dramatic hampster)
  11. Valsmurf Loyal Player

Lol where did i say I wanted super strenght? Do you know Metamorpho, "bub"?
  12. Infyrneaux23 Dedicated Player

I am psyched!!!!!!
    • Like x 1
  13. Livingston New Player

That's what the serum does, it gives super strength like Bane. So I guess you'll be really disappointed then.
  14. Master Play Committed Player

The violet mist aura looks so cool, I hope something like it is released in future bundles as accessories
  15. Valsmurf Loyal Player

Ah my good fellow, please go back and watch the SOE live keynote speech. It would also be helpful to do some research on other characters that have gained powers through experimental substances. It would most definitely help you make a more informed opinion :)

Just a bit of enlightenment though, Jens didn't say serums = super strength. First thing he says in his keynote speech is "there's a lot of characters in the DC universe that get their powers from ingesting things, right? Elongated man, Hour man, Bane". Check out their powers and see if all 3 are all identical and super strong, I bet they aren't.

Other 2 super popular characters who got their powers from serums and aren't junkies are Deathstroke and Beastboy. It's just a matter of being creative to find cool backstories for your character ;)

He also goes on to explain that there are several different kinds of serums and different kinds of power interactions that result from mixing the serums. Power interactions in the game right now are effects like burn, freeze, polarize etc. Those are not strictly physical now are they?

Use your imagination man. This power has the greatest potential to be awesome of all powers. It's not a boring physical powerset, why do you want a powerset that lets you punch hard and lift heavy things when you can already do that? Serums has the potential for size manipulation (growing or shrinking or even stretching!), density manipulation so your skin can become impenetrable or you can turn to gas, shape-shifting or becoming a big giant monster or even a zombie or, as they hinted, using serums to channel cold, fire, or electricity to inflict damage on your opponent.

There are so many characters in the DC universe that have gotten their powers from chemical stuff and serums the possibilities are only limited by the dev team's technical abilities and constraints.

Don't be fooled by the fact that he said the power was "based" on Bane, he is not the only DC character to get powers from experimental stuff and super strength is not the only possible effect of drinking or injecting a serum.

Also, the concept of those powers are not set in stone yet, they're so far away that they haven't finished the concept yet. Check out min 26:25 and then listen to everything he says about Serums. So me proposing a name change to include other characters that acquired their powers from chemicals or radioactive substances, but not precisely serums, is not as far fetched. Characters like Parasite, Metamorpho, Angst, or Elasti-Girl all got exposed to weird substances and that's the spirit of this powerset, imo more so than just physical powers.

Sorry for the long post, but this powerset gets me excited to no end.
    • Like x 2
  16. Azrael New Player

I probably won't be switching to the power..but i think experimental serums is going to be boss and be one of many ppl's favorite like rage is.
    • Like x 1
  17. AcidReck New Player

Woo! Party time.
  18. Swiftduck Loyal Player

For those wondering why we won't be getting any new lantern based powers. Remember baack when they announced atomic, munitions and serums? They stated they had to free up a bunch of memory on the ps3 version to be able to even implement these three new powers. The PS3 is the reason we cannot have anything truly nice. It is holding the game back technical wise.

Until enough users migrate from PS3 to PS4. The devs will continue to support this fossil of a console.

The day they drop ps3 support is when you will get your precious new lantern and water based powers. SO until then. Blame ps3 for not having nice things
  19. Sanctifiedhero New Player

So does anyone know when Skimming is being released? You guys showcased it pretty early for you not to release it in this next dlc don't ya think? You got please all excited! stop inciting me Mepps! xD
  20. Jafin 10000 Post Club

It's probably part of GU42, and Mepps said last week or the week before that DLC 12 and GU42 would be coming around the same time, so I would expect GU42 to go up on Test some time during the testing DLC 12, just like what happened with Amazon Fury Part 1 when a GU was up there at the same time.