Riddle me this

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Why so serious?, May 9, 2013.

1. TheWhiteFace New Player

You could ask The14thDoctor. He's already centuries ahead so he may know...
    • Like x 1
  2. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

I'll try a different approach... I will speak with the other Luthors privately, and tell them I plan to divide the Exos equally and fairly among them at 20 each. Once I've convinced 2 others to vote my way, and once I felt secure I'd let them all know my true plan was to only pay 20 each for two of them for their votes and keep the rest.

I then remind them that there would be no further negotiations as they already tipped their hat that they would be satisfied with the "fair" 20 exos. It's indeed a fair deal, and it shouldn't matter to them if the other Luthors get paid.

Future Luthor recieves 60 Exos.
    Two others recieve 20 each.
    The other two Luthors recieve none.
  3. Liongale Dedicated Player

There is one of the Luthors who will never vote for you, as they are Luthors, who don't exactly play fair. They also don't expect you to play fair, either.

Though you could get 2 votes, it won't be the maximum number you can get...!

The solution to this riddle is actually mathematical. I'll give another clue in a few hours.
  4. Drifting Dreamer Steadfast Player

Future Luthor (me/you) gets 40 Exos
    Each other Luthor gets 15??
  5. Liongale Dedicated Player

You may get 3 of the others to vote for you, but it's far from the maximum you can get!
  6. DarkNovaBlaze Dedicated Player

Sounds like a good answer. 60 for Future, and 20 for two others. The other two get none but as long as he has 2 votes he's good.

Then again, who's to say that the Luthors he offers 20 bits to don't vote down his proposal. If Future get's banished, the next in rank gets to propose, so it might be best for Future to offer 20 bits each to the two lowest ranking Luthors. They'll be more inclined to vote in favor of his proposal because they would be the last to get power and have a smaller chance of getting any exos.

Space Commander is almost certain to accept a proposal in which Future grants his some exos. Otherwise, if it comes down to him and General, its 100 and 0.

If Professor gets power, he simply has to offer Space 1 single exo and he will get 99. General will vote no, Space will vote yes because if he doesn't he will get 0.

If Cybernetic is in power, he has to only convince Space to vote in favor because he only needs two votes (including himself). If Space votes no and Cyber is banished, Space will only get 1. Therefore, Cyber must offer Space 2 exos and he will get 98.

This is how it works. Future get's Space's vote for sure with 3 exos because it's the most he can possibly get. Cybernetic will vote no, no matter the offer because if Future is banished, Cyber will undoubtedly get 98 exos. Also, if Future is banished, while Cyber will get 98, General and Professor will get 0. Future offering 1 exo to either General or Professor will get their vote because 1 is more than 0. So there you have it:

Future: 96
    Cybernetic: 0
    Professor: 0
    General: 1
    Space: 3

OR

Future: 96
    Cybernetic: 0
    Professor: 1
    General: 0
    Space: 3

GG :D
    • Like x 1
  7. Liongale Dedicated Player

This is closest to the answer yet! You're almost there...

For those trying to figure out the math, here's some help also.

Future, being the most senior, knows that he needs to get 2 other people to vote for his solution in order for him not to be banished. So who can he get to vote for him, and why would they choose to vote for him? If you start thinking that Cybernetic will never vote for him, because he would rather have Future banished and then be in charge and take it all for himself, you are on the right track.

Consider if there were only 1 Luthor. Obviously Space Commander would take it all for himself and no one would complain.

If there were two Luthors, General being the most senior, he would just vote for himself and that would be 50% of the vote, so he's obviously going to keep all the Exobyes for himself.

If there were 3 Luthors, Professor has to convince at least one other person to join in his plan. So who can he convince and how? That is the leap that needs to be made to solve this problem.

And to make it really easy, a Luthor will take anything if he knows the other alternative is nothing.
  8. DarkNovaBlaze Dedicated Player

Isn't that what I explained in my answer?:)

Space alone would take them all.

General and Space. General would take them all.

Professor, General and Space. Professor would get 99 and Space would get 1, because 1 is more than 0.

Cyber, Professor, General and Space. Cyber would get 98 and Space would get 2, because 2 is more than 1. And it's still 50% of votes.

Theoretically, if Future's proposal was rejected, Cyber's proposal above would unquestionably get approved. In that case, Professor and General both get 0.

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I SEE IT!!!!!!!!

Future: 98
    Cyber: 0
    Professor: 1
    General: 1
    Space: 0

GG:D
  9. Liongale Dedicated Player

Now you're thinking like a Luthor! The Luthors are genius enough to know that an even number of Luthors' plan will always win, so the odd number has to go to those who will lose out by giving them 1 rather than the 0 they would get. Well done.

It's all math.
  10. DarkNovaBlaze Dedicated Player

This one's not too hard.

There are two ropes that take 1 hour to burn from end to end. How do you measure exactly 45 minutes by burning the ropes?
  11. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

Any DCUO villain can answer this... ;)

You use the ropes to ignite the dynamite and break into the jewelry store.
    Then, you wear one of the stolen watches to time 45 minutes.

Easy! :p
  12. DarkNovaBlaze Dedicated Player

Very close, but not quite right.;)
    • Like x 1
  13. Mesmer New Player

What's small, yellow, and tastes like a banana?
    I'll give you a hint...
  14. Ninja'd Dedicated Player

Put one in a circle with the end connected and burn it. Fold the over rope by four. (So it would look like llll without breaking it.) Place it on the opposite end of the other rope that is already burning. Since the first circle has both of the ends burning at the same time its burn time is cut in half. By the time the fire reaches the other end the other rope that is folded into fours will have a burning time of 15 minutes. 30+15=45
  15. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

Fold or cut one of the ropes in half?
  16. DarkNovaBlaze Dedicated Player

I just realized something about the Luthor riddle.

If Cyber, Professor, General, and Space were left, Cyber could get the vote he needs by just giving 1 exo to General, instead of 2 to Space like I stated above. Cyber would be able to get 99.

This means that Future cannot guarantee General's vote with 1 exo because General will be getting 1 exo whether Future is banished or not. Oh, wait. Even though this is true, Future can still get 98. Nevermind. He just needs to give 1 to Prof and Space instead of Prof and Gen.