Preview: New Movement Variant Skimming!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Sep 30, 2014.

1. MidnightTiger Well-Known Player

Aw, I was hoping this would just be another style for flying instead of another whole movement ;(
  2. AtrocitusOmega Committed Player

Dude are you serious? Its still someone riding on a disc. Static rides on a disc mr. miracle rides on a disc just because miracle rides on 2 doesn't change the fact that its a similar concept. Those pics you posted other than mr miracle are invalid quicksilver rides a surfboard/hoverboard and i forgot what hobgoblin's machine is but its not a disc so just stop.
    • Like x 1
  3. CCTrinket Well-Known Player

:( aww man I was hoping that I will be able to make a character without having to buy it
  4. SpicyMoonlight Devoted Player

My question is, if we purchase this {style, variant, skin} can we freely choose between both?
    I may want one style to be Skimming, while a different one retains flight, mainly for armory purposes.
  5. KnightFalz Active Player

What I expected from a variant movement mode was functional variance, not just a visual difference.

I thought perhaps it would have a slightly lower top speed but a tighter turn radius, or that it would have a slightly slower descent rate but ascend at a slightly faster rate. I had hoped for some kind of actual difference, but not one so drastic that it would cause game play issues. All it ended out to be was a change of looks rather than of actuality.

But, many are quite happy with the change in look only it seems, so it appears there was little need for them to try to make it more than what it has turned out to be. Form has won out over substance, by default it seems, eh? So long as most are happy with it though, it is hard to say that it matters all that much in the end.
  6. akaivy Dedicated Player

I would think the answer to that would be no. We currently can't store powers or movement modes in armories and switch back. This is still a movement mode and since you have to create a character to use it or buy a token to switch, you can't switch back without buying another token or creating another character.
  7. SpicyMoonlight Devoted Player

:oops:
    well maybe if they let us treat this as a style after we buy it, ill consider buying. Looks really fun and they did a good job on it!
  8. akaivy Dedicated Player

It looks pretty cool. If I ever create a new character I would probably use it, but I don't feel the need to switch my flyers over to skimming.

ok, laugh at me, but it doesn't seem like a superpower like the ability to fly. It seems like someone using a futuristic hoverboard.
    • Like x 1
  9. Owl Devoted Player

I am looking forward to power based skins for movement modes.
    I wonder what variants for Super Speed and Acrobatics they have planned.
  10. Shadowdragon Devoted Player

The animations and poses are well executed. I'm hoping one morning I wake up with an appropriate character concept because it looks fun, but doesn't fit any of my 15 existing characters.

Martial arts probably looks funny though. Imagine doing a head kick with paper plates attached to your feet! :p
    • Like x 5
  11. SilverwingsZOE New Player

It reminds me Kancolle girls skimming in the sea,worst thing I ever seen in anime as I thought at first it was like GuP but nope half naked ladies with floating armors around them skimming in the sea...
  12. Remander Steadfast Player

They have said this is a specific movement mode, despite it sharing the same tree as Flight. As with other current movement modes, you cannot Armory between them. You have to purchase a movement mode respec.
    • Like x 1
  13. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

One thing to note, is we want to do lots of these if they are well received, as a way to let players customize their characters - not as a means to power. New functionality would significantly increase the time needed for each one, and thus limit how many we can actually do in the long term.
    • Like x 12
  14. Revoemag Committed Player

This is y I think we need color customization of disks..if we could change the color we could concept our character that the disks are energy from our power (quantum, hl, etc..)...and then for further customization, release the skins(fireballs, grassy patches..) as marketplace purchase..
    • Like x 1
  15. Liongale Dedicated Player

This was the answer I was hoping for! I thought it would be really cool to have multiple variants of movement styles, which really can help us feel unique. I'm excited!
    • Like x 3
  16. crimeware New Player

If you are a member you only need to purchase a respec token to use skimming on an existing character.
  17. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

This is very cool, well done, Devs! :cool:

Now, then, is it possible the next one could be "Slide Constructs" that characters can create to get around?

You know, like, for example, a character with Ice Powers might make slides out of ice that he can use to get around the city...

[IMG]

But really, anyone that can make constructs could use it, so it could also be a Movement Mode for Ring-Slingers! ;)

And since there's a possibility of a new Acrobatics variant, I would recommend a Ninja/Stealth Movement Mode, that would allow characters to move at speed WHILE IN STEALTH MODE! :cool:
    • Like x 2
  18. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

Looking at the skimming animations: next acrobatics could easily be Frank Miller style roller skates, yes? :D :D :D
    • Like x 1
  19. Cataclyzm New Player

Skimming looks awesome. I can't wait to make the switch!!!
  20. Kaggie15 New Player

When can we expect more levels above 30?