A Chilly Guide to Everything Ice

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Radium, Feb 15, 2013.

1. xD25x Dedicated Player

But you get the white smokey stuff after hitting just 1 chill effect. How do you know when you have 5 chill effects up so ibs is getting the chill effects bonus. Also i cant tell when the effect isnt up so i dont know when i should be recasting the chill effect powers. Sure i hit bash everytime its up but unless i need what used to be ice armor im not hitting cold snap and usually not hitting reflect. Or have ice dps gone away from chill effects with the release of max damage? Oh and thanks Prime for getting this convo started!
  2. savageprime New Player

IBS does not require 5 chill effects. Actually no power requires five chill effects. Ice Armor is a interaction from getting five chill effects. Snowball does more damage from 3 chill effects but not IBS or snipe as they only require a single chill effect.

You know you have 0 chills up if you see no visual appearance on your self. Again I forget specific time but the effect last longer than the cool down of IB. Meaning if you hit IB each time it comes up you will get your 5 chill effects in 5 consecutive IB uses. Now if you are using the max damage hand mod you will no see the visual of Ice armor as max damage overrides IA. They patched our chill effects so now you still get the interaction with IBS, SB and snipe but no IA.
  3. FEARtheSPUR Well-Known Player

Let talk about ice tank mods.

Maybe i missed a change to ice power.

Reds Might or prec / resto, health or dom
    Blues resto / health over dom or dom/health since you get shields more from resto / health
    Yellow resto / health

Resto still factor into shield correct and still factor into the reflection shield heal?

What i went with
    might / health for red prec/ health was too much money
    Resto / health for the rest

Reasoning for reds better to have health than a little better shields. Since you always have health but only have shields when using powers and you get more bang for your buck with health

Resto over dom. You get better bang for your buck with resto over dom.

Anyone poke a hole in this?

https://forums.station.sony.com/dcu...bsorbtion-with-dominance.198306/#post-2428786
  4. FESTER665 Devoted Player

Sure you can mod that way. Your shields will be a little stronger because your restoration gained is slightly ahead of the dominance gain, but it's not like you wouldn't be able to survive in either instance...

Mine is as follows:
    Red Gear - Might and Health VI
    Red Rings - Dominance and Health VI
    Blue Gear - Dominance and Health VI
    Yellow Gear - Restoration and Health VI

I usually put Dom and Health into the two red gear pieces as well but wanted to use my purple exobytes. :D

Click on the toon in my sig to see the numbers modded that way... Gear is a few pieces of 94 raid drops, a handful of 94 vendor, and two Rings of Omnipotence. Dominance and Restoration together is 6346, if I went with resto and healths instead of the dominance I'd be around 6400 combined total (give or take) not enough to make a difference either way really.
    • Like x 1
  5. FEARtheSPUR Well-Known Player

Yeah it really doesnt seem to make much of different. Just making sure i didnt miss a ninja change...lol

Thanks
  6. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Thought that the 2000 Dom cap meant that we should be focusing more on resto, since we practically hit the cap with gear alone?
  7. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Any word on testing IA crit buffs versus Max's modifier?
  8. Prosser Dedicated Player

Can't remember which Hotfix it was, but they increased the Dom cap to 8000. I personally mod Resto/HP in all blue and yellow, and Resto/prec in Red
    • Like x 1
  9. Dalae Well-Known Player

As i stated some days before, when the Max Dmg white mod appeared i changed to red full Prec mods and started using RG (now that chill effects are back, i use again IBS).

I have no exactly numerical data, but my feeling during these days has been that i hit equal or even a bit harder than when i was running with IA (same dps gear during these days).

I suppose will continue this way until Ice revamp
  10. Radium Devoted Player

Max damage all the way.

The minimum amout of time it take to get into IA is 24 seconds. In that time you'll be using low modifiers, then after 5 chills its a 50%er for a minute.

Compare that to 1:24 of 60% modifier and its really no contest. Say you get 250 hits within that time, you'll get roughly 5 extra hits that crit. Haveing your base higher benefits you more.
    • Like x 2
  11. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Excellent breakdown ... and I especially like that it wasn't dependent on loadout or might/prec leaning. Thanks!
    (still, was hoping for IA to win :()
  12. Venomsaga28 Well-Known Player

using wt,ib,rt,rg,sl is that a good looadout
  13. Creton Active Player

So I should use Max Damage Mod with Full Precision? My loadout is Reflect, IB, Wintery Temp, IBS, Robot and Blizzard using Hand Blasters.
  14. Dalae Well-Known Player

Not a must. The idea of going Full prec with Max Dmg comes from the fact that originally Max Dmg white mod negated Ice Armour AND chill effects, dropping a lot the damage coming from powers (Might), so a way to compensate was raising damage weapon (Prec). Now that chill effects are back with Max Dmg, i think Mix and Full both are both viable.
  15. Ciphey Well-Known Player

How exactly does Bitter winds mitigate dmg (tank role)? I am full t6 and I went to solo an ace bounty, popped bitter winds and every time the bounty hit me it did actual damage-I saw no dmg prevention/shield.
  16. Little MD Well-Known Player

I had this same problem over the weekend. Usually, this happens if I don't let the animation play all the way through, but even when the animation was completed, I was taking some heavy damage in artifacts. Can anyone else confirm this? It is doing damage and it is CC the adds, but no damage absorption.
    • Like x 1
  17. DarkNovaBlaze Dedicated Player

So, is there anything needed besides IB, IBS, Robot, and Blizzard?
    Is WT worth using or will it lower your DPS?
    And does DW or HB work better with ice?

I want to know how to do the maximum damage possible with ice.
  18. Anhur Committed Player

I'm dabbling with Ice, the rotation I'm going with is Wintry Tempest, Ice Bash, Ice Boulder Strike (for multiple enemies), Frost Snipe(for single targets), Blizzard and Robot Sidekick

I cannot recall the source, but there was metrics showing Hand Blasters as having the edge.
  19. Radium Devoted Player

Tempest is worth it if you can get the full ticks so really the best place is for bosses. Occasionally some groups of ads. I'll mix in Res Gale after Tempest for the extra PI ticks which ads another DoT layer and Gale isn't that far off the base from IBS.
  20. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Does Boulder Strike benefit from weaponization buffs or just old Boulder?

The reason I ask is that I threw in Neo Venom Boost, and seemed to be getting some way-better-than-I-expected results. I was doing this: WM Combo > Wintry Tempest/Ice Bash/Neo Venom Boost > WM Combo > Ice Boulder Strike > repeat WM, IBS until WT/IB is ready again > start from beginning, NVB will be ready every other rotation.

My WM is Two-Handed Throw to Arrow Storm. I don't particularly like it; it doesn't have the greatest damage. But, it does have a relatively high number of ticks for the damage it does, which helps with the NVB might procs, and gets to Blizzard faster. And, it helps regen some of the crazy amount of power that this loadout uses.

Boulder Strike seemed to be hitting way harder. Looking up what NVB actually does, I saw the weaponization and thought that might be it.