Roll Bonus Idea

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by tyjames, Aug 21, 2014.

1. tyjames New Player

Roll Bonus Idea

After reading a post from (NCR RANGER) in the (Solo Troll, Solo Heal already becoming the requirement… Thread) I thought about a different way to apply what he suggested. Adding advanced bonuses for support roles to make them more viable, there are two ways this can be applied.

Having a Bonus when having more than two of the same roll.

First off I’ll talk about role bonuses. Having more than one roll (ie two healers) will apply a group bonus. For example having two healers will cause at % amount (this can be a small % such as 5% increase or can be higher) bonus crit heals or something of the like. For trolls it could be increased % of Vit. Dare I suggest having two tanks gives the group a defense bonus???

Again these bonuses could be applied to the whole group or specified to the rolls.

Individual Roll Bonus

Another way to encourage running with rolls, and this possibly is probably more useful for the alert missions because we do see an exclusion of certain rolls in those instances.

Tank: Having a tank will provide an extra defense buff to the group, this could be an automatic buff applied when the tank is in the group. Or could be used as a power (adding an interaction to powers already in the game, ei: ice shield causes a damage migration for the group). This could be useful for future game mechanics where a boss has this one ko mechanic (not a group wipeout but individual one), but if the tank applies a group buff, the attack won’t kill you. Once you get the next tier armour the ko won’t necessarily knock out out)

Troll: In alert situations perhaps by including a troll the group can have a power regen increase. Give an automatic increase for CC with others power (IE Electric Dps using electrifying powers can increase stunning those they hit)

Healer: An Idea I always though useful would be that when healers use their powers they can also produce some sort of health related debuff to the boss/adds. (IE Electrics Iconic Drain can lower boss/adds defence during the attack). Perhaps a power interaction that when the group attacks adds, having a healer around will cause a healing return (ei for every 1000 attack damage given a heal back of 100 points is given to the attacker).

By having support roles give some sort of bonus or advantage to other players will make them become even more useful than before. Earlier I suggested healers doing health debufs while using their powers, so having two dps the burn will be quicker, but when the healer removes the adds defence, well the burn will be quite similar, so there isn’t a real advantage of having two dps around.

Perhaps others could post suggestions or feedback on these two ideas. Or expand on what’s been suggested. If you don’t agree then please mention what you’d do differently.
    • Like x 1
  2. tyjames New Player

No feedback?
  3. ChaosInternational New Player

Role*

But in all seriousness, tanks should be able to buff their team defensively, a troll's debuff mag should be relative to dom and a healer should provide group damage buffs. DPS stance should rely on support roles for support functions such as buffs and debuffs. A DPS buffing themselves should be feeble by comparison.

All buffs and debuffs should be associated with support builds. Extra damage should come from all the support functions working in harmony as well as extra survivability.

Just my 2¢
    • Like x 4
  4. IdontDps Committed Player

No.Why would i want to run with roles 4-8 man dps for the win i might let a troll in
  5. tyjames New Player

Oh Boy, I feel very silly now, thanks for catching that simple mistake. Now people are going to find I talking about rolling dices for bonuses or something.

But I agree with you on there being a further need for reliance of support roles, initially things were fine because of the content ran, but now with revamped mechanics and so forth, support roles have to be more viable.
    • Like x 2
  6. ChaosInternational New Player

Passive abilities are pretty small time in DCUO, there's too much emphasis on raw stats. Here's a link to Dragon Age II's abilities if you'd like to use anything within as a reference, I personally enjoyed Da2.

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Talents_(Dragon_Age_II)
  7. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

+1 something needs to be done. I like the buffs only applying with 2 of the same role. And all dps buffs should be removed from power trees in dps stance only and be placed in healer, tank, troll role only. This would greatly balane this game and make these roles both far more satisfying to play as well as diminish bad dps. Good dps will shine as only two will be needed for raids and not the usual 5. 3 of whom I usually beat on the scoreboard anyway as any troll or healer could. Why is being a crappy dps in damage so good anyway? Solo troll or heal gets knocked out. Wipe. Stupid.
  8. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

Interesting concept.....but I suspect folk will simply shout it down because with posts about how you shouldn't force people to run instances with a specific group setup etc.

Although to get around that, you could simply apply a damage buff to balanced groups that puts them on par with DPS heavy groups. Because all it comes down to is how fast you can get through the instance. Oh, I can save a minute? Lose the healer. Two minutes? Kick the other controller. Two tanks? I'm not spending an extra five minutes in the instance!

I think Torikumu has a thread about it. Probably buried under a mountain of "nerf this", "xyz is OP", "abc is too easy" threads :(
  9. DarkSyde79 Loyal Player

People have repeatedly brought up granting bonuses to groups for running with certain configurations but that would be nothing more than a Band-Aid on a gaping wound!!!

People would go into content without these buffs in the configuration they felt most comfortable with or was the FOTM.
    • A healing buff for 2x Healers > Who needs a buff?!! Resto is so high and you can’t heal a one-shot plus with the BURN, we’ll be fine!!!
    • A power buff for 2x Controllers > Who needs a buff?!! Between WM, the Brawling combo, SCs, and Supply Drops plus the BURN, we’ll be fine!!!
    • A defense buff for 2x Tanks > Who needs a buff?!! Tanks barely need Healers plus the Troller can CC when needed plus with the BURN, nothing will be alive long enough, we’ll be fine!!!
    • Group damage buff for only 2x DPS > A third, fourth, and even fifth DPS gives us WAY more BURN than some stupid buff can, we’ll be fine!!!
    In the end, the only way I could even see such a buff working is if the buff can be exploited by groups with “Battle” Controllers, Healers and Tanks where it would make an unbeatable instance beatable.

Similar to how groups once went into Prime without Tanks before the group buffs were removed from “raid” content.

As far as individual buffs go, while these buffs sound nice, they’re inherent to having the roles in your group.
    • If you have a Controller in your group, you should be getting more power than the buff.
    • If you have a Healer in your group, you should be constantly recovering from damage.
    • If you have a Tank in your group, you should have extra defense as the adds are aggro’d to him.
    Beyond that, it all comes back to content design and challenge, if you want to see more “balanced” groups.

But that also impacts how much content is replayed and how many Badges get purchased, I doubt we see that happen.
  10. Biester New Player

Here's the problem with your idea. First, if a raid can be completed fairly easily with only one tank, one troll, and one healer then why would you need a defensive, power, or healing buff? When you have a second tank in the raid you already get a defensive buff, it's called having a second tank that can help keep aggro off of the other party members. The same can be said with an extra healer or troll with the power and healing out.

Secondly, if I want extra defense in an alert I will invite a tank. If I want some power I'll invite a troll. If I want some healing, you guessed it, I'll invite a healer. Their stats are already so high the need for a buff is obsolete. Not to mention base mods, generator mods, and enhanced sodas give more buffs than you'll ever need.

Until the devs DRASTICALLY change game mechanics and the way raids and alerts are played then there is only one thing on the community's mind and that is more burn. It will take a complete overhaul of battle mechanics, raid/alert mechanics, and basic gameplay to make all roles not just wanted but needed in content.

The fact is that if you are not a dps then this game is not meant for you. Don't believe me? Just look at the history of the game. Just look at how much time and effort has been put into the dps role in just the past 6 months. Look at how powerful dps' have become because of the huge stat increase during the T5 era. Have you ever seen that much effort put into support roles? When this game was created the devs did not really do a good job with calculating algorithms with equallity amongst powersets and imo it is because they never intended clipping to be part of the game.

Now they are trying to fix that mistake with wm and awesome mechanics. WM does insane damage that cannot be clipped and awesome mechanics are supposed to equal wm damage. Is it working? Hell no. The complaints of dps powerset inequality will always be, it's never-ending. So expect more time to be spent on the dps role instead of game, raid/alert, and battle mechanics. In the meantime you can expect more tiers of higher stat gear to complete raids that are pretty basic in mechanic design. The DCUO team does not have the manpower or resources to reach the full potential of what this game could be. What is now will always be, the sooner you figure that out the sooner you can decide if you like the game the way it is now and want to continue down that road. As for me I play as a tank and have been excluded from content since I started playing 2 years ago and have been waiting for something to change so you can take an educated guess as to whether I'll continue to play DPS Universe. Rant over, happy gaming.