DCUO Has Eighteen Million Players

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MrMigraine, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Pew New Player

DCUO is dying (since launch)
  2. Shadowwyvern Committed Player

No, DCUO was dying in beta. :p
    • Like x 2
  3. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

• Like x 1
  4. Aren Sul Committed Player

LOL!
    I didn't catch that.
  5. FESTER665 Devoted Player

Even harder when she said the PS3 and PS4 version look the same to someone who asked her the question at the bottom of the article... :eek:
  6. Sorwen Well-Known Player

It also isn't that hard to be the "number one performing free-to-play game" on PSN. Its not like it has a lot of competition still. And as was said in a F2P game registered users means nothing. Number one will mean something if it keeps it as PS4 development continues to ramp up. Different genre, but with the huge restrictions this game has because of age in conjunction with PS3, I will like to see how it holds up just against Destiny. I'm willing to be it is going to tear a big chunk of that. They are not gelding the PS4/Xbox One development for PS3/Xbox 360. They do have the advantage of how much development has grown on the older platforms, but since DCUO isn't going to start from the ground up again PS3 is just going to continue to cause issues for the game.

As to PC numbers they've always been low because the game forces us to play as if we were on a console. That cuts down a great deal of the appeal to a lot of PC users. They also didn't seem to know or care how big of a kick in the teeth they gave with many of their comments to PC users when the game was first coming out. When I can care to play it is in spite of this and not because I disagree with many of the sentiments of the people that refuse to play.
    • Like x 1
  7. Feenicks New Player

I'm PC and my teeth are intact. And I use a keyboard and a mouse when I play with no problems at all.
    • Like x 1
  8. IdontDps Committed Player

There's a difference between 18mil players and 18mil active players
    • Like x 2
  9. Feenicks New Player

And, like me, you don't know what that difference really is.
  10. Hero of Justice New Player

I don't think anyone except SOE really understands how much the move to consoles benefited the game. It's a great opportunity that I think they have taken advantage of. Now they've been close to the only one on consoles, the MMO market seems to only just now be ever-so-slowly catching on to the benefits of consoles. But DCUO has done well so far, I think the devs will be able to keep the success going :)
  11. Sorwen Well-Known Player

And there is nothing wrong with that. If you didn't take offense at them telling you that the UI wouldn't be moveable and center of the screen because it would give you an advantage in game play(yes that is a real comment), that many of the proposals that would help disabled players wouldn't be considered(again because of said advantage over the PS3), or a lot of the other comments that made some people feel like a red headed stepchild because of the PS3 then more power to you.

I still play off/on myself so I didn't take great offense to it, but that doesn't change the fact that many did. How many we will never really know and there is no knowing for better or worse if it would have made any difference in the health of the game as a whole.
    • Like x 1
  12. not_again Dedicated Player

But what we do know is that there were roughly 38,000 characters to beat round 1 of SM (yes I know there are more player at 100 CR that cold have did SM but chose not too). Those are the players at the highest level of this game. Now to add the percentage from a recent article posted on here but not particularly this one (I will link below). 76% of the player base plays on the PS servers (57% of these are PS4, yes PS4 now has the highest population). So using those numbers end game players on the PS server have a pool of about 29,000 players to play with and the PC has only around 7,000. This is before the divide between EU and US as I can not recall seeing a break between those servers.

While 18 million is a big number, most players that come to the forums and are active participants on the forums (and most likely to post a "the game is dying" thread) are likely running the highest content available. I am assuming there are times with such a limited number of end game player that finding a group is difficult with the small end game player base. Thus they may draw this conclusion from their own in game experiences.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2014/0...-online-players-play-on-a-playstation-console
    • Like x 2
  13. Feenicks New Player

Using SM as a guide to population is misleading. Most of my league never even tried round 1. You had to be CR 100 to even try. Out of 18 million people how many do you think are CR 100+?
  14. X-zero Loyal Player

While I don't believe DC is endanger of dying most of the numbers used in the article have no merit.

Registered user numbers will almost never go down. It increased so much this year because a new system with not too many good games was just released. Some people play it one day and never go back. Some people make more accounts as a way around character limits. Without active subscription numbers no one but SOE knows how well they really are performing and they aren't telling those numbers.

Best performing F2P PS game well ask: How many F2P does the PS have? How many are on both the PS3 and PS4? How many were originally full release games and had a decent budget? How many use both a subscription model and micro transaction?
  15. Jamie New Player

I am curious as to whether is a PS3 player buys a PS4 and plays DCUO on that will it be considered 1 person registering or 2. The numbers are the numbers but what do they actually tell us? A better indication of how the game would be the number of active players and to see how that has changed.
  16. ToxicAngelDE Dedicated Player

don't think so because it's still the same account...
    • Like x 1
  17. Feenicks New Player

The numbers tell me that the game is not dying.
  18. Scarlet Rise Loyal Player

19. Green Lantern New Player

Is this individual players or created toons?
  20. Valsmurf Loyal Player

just like not_again, I did draw some conclusions from the SM population, but I also used other statements to reach my conclusions.
    Larry Liberty said that less than 7% of the population could even queue for SM and "considerably less" than 1% went past round 2.

LL says all that in this post https://forums.station.sony.com/dcu...ats-round-10-of-sm.213304/page-8#post-2693996

The 36,000 survival mode number that not_again is citing was for people who went past round 1. So in another conversation with Spytle I estimated the 36k represented 2% of the population which equals 1.8 million. I also made several other estimates leading me to a similar number. He wouldn't confirm or deny, but he did reply this to my post

https://forums.station.sony.com/dcu...tles-latest-tweet.216762/page-12#post-2749467

1.8 million isn't far fetched, it's safe to say there can't be much more than that, but I doubt it's much less either. 1million + accross all platforms and servers is almost a sure thing in my view.

edit: Also 1.8 million active users means only 10% of registered users are currently playing. That seems pretty reasonable for an f2p game don't you think?
    • Like x 5