Why Max Damage DEVS?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Nemeses Prime, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Its a bad decision as far as DPS goes.

Rotations and powers are already dumbed down to an incredible extent thanks to WM. Now you're taking away the only thought that goes into rotations with this 60% hand mod. Why use Mass Terror, a 10 second DOT at the bottom of the tree that applies terror when I could use Terror Tendrils, a burst power that hits nearly as hard on 8 people and costs less power points? Why use Cryokinesis, a bottom tier aoe power that's base damage is about on par with Psychic Resonance, a 2nd tier power?

Knowing how and when to use your higher damage modifers is half the game of being a good DPS, take them away and you are left with watered down, simple rotations.

This is a TERRIBLE mod. Absolutely terrible and should be scrapped ASAP.
    • Like x 2
  2. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Its a big middle finger to any power that has a cast power in its trees too. As if WM hadn't already destroyed their usefulness, this makes them literally unusable.

Have fun sitting in your casts Mental, Fire, Quantum and Ice, everyone else will be spamming away with their tier 1 powers.
    • Like x 2
  3. SkullGang Devoted Player

We need a damage increase on our casts anyway even without the 60% hand mod.
  4. kAiSeR007 Dedicated Player

It's quite the opposite. When you run a burst damage load out you have all your crit after a WM combo guaranteed, but using the AM doesn't guarantee you any crit. Therefore, burst damage will get their advantage increased just for that very reason. A hit that always crit will make more damage over a 60% modifier than a hit that may not crit even if its using the same modifier.

I'm afraid people is not seeing here the big picture, they are somehow blinded thinking this will bring more variety when it won't. The 35, 40 or 45% moves that are useful are being used, they always have been, like Wired, Ram, Claws, Ice Bash, Briar, Vine Lash, Snowball, Retribution, Wither, Smite, Haunt, etc, etc. The useful moves will remain used despite of their damage modifiers. When did a HL DPS said "I ain't going to use Ram, its a 35% modifier" or a Celestial DPS "Retribution its 35% I won't use it". Never.

This will make the DPS role very simplified and dumb. Many powers have unique mechanics that wont be any special after this like Ice amour or wolf form. Also combo powers will become stronger since they don't get penalized for using their AM.

I suggest making this mod the same as Core Strength, a +10% to each modifier. Will be fair and not a game breaker.
    • Like x 4
  5. Mettigel Hawaii New Player

Uhh nice, i will do 10% more dmg with my celest dps.
    I cant wait for the new update!
  6. Elusian Crowd Control

Maybe revisit Retri spamming with that Mod +25% ^^
  7. HealerHollidae New Player

After celestial was nerfed i shrugged it off with slow ani. But then they murdered the AoE with heavy splits i will never touch it again. I've since been rage sorcery and quantum trying to find a power that suits me. I eventually settled on fire where I'll stay.

we don't need hand mods we need buffs and speed reduction.
  8. Chuccles New Player

I dont understand though, if you you go up against a "noob" in a raid and and you both have the 60% modifier shouldnt you beat him anyway since hes a noob and youre not? Whats the problem? you still have to take in sp and gear and basic knowledge of your powerset. that 60% isnt going to jettison unknowing players to the top of the heap. calm down guys jeez
    • Like x 7
  9. HealerHollidae New Player

I think it's just this misguided need the devs have to cater to everyone in the wrong ways.
    I could be wrong but that's just my feel.
    in any case we really need a dcuo 2
    • Like x 1
  10. Anima Committed Player

>MMOs
    >Balance

Choose one.
  11. hoaxone Committed Player

Weird how ppl think low tier powers base damage will somehow miraculously increase.
    Its simple again...take everyone's damage output right now...add 60% to it...nothing changed individually.still same player...still same skill level....still same spot on the scoreboard.
    • Like x 2
  12. Mercenary Renegade New Player

How about just making Penetrating STRIKES a hand mod, making Core Strength a little more than 10% and call it a day?

Aye!?!?!
    • Like x 1
  13. Mick Nugget New Player

The problem with this argument is that it is being made in order to keep the gap between "good" and "bad" dps as wide as it currently is.

There is no reason that I should be doubling the damage out of another equally geared player. Yes, it makes me feel good about my own "skills" as a dps but does it really complete the instance any faster? No. If anything, it creates a risk that the "bad" dps might get kicked or ridiculed, while that "bad" dps could simply be someone's child playing a video game, or someone who doesn't watch the youtube "max rotation" tips from the pros.

If I am currently doubling "bad" dps (they are not bad imo, I'm just better when compared to them because I use the same method of figuring out rotations that have been mentioned in this thread, among others) then if they were to receive a maximum 15 percent overall advantage to their loadout powers (if you do the math, 35 percent powers stand the most to gain while 50 percent powers will only get boosted by 10 percent, and just about nobody was using 60 percent powers anyway so that argument is sorta moot too) then I am not threatened by that relative max 15 percent boost those players will get. I doubt if that 15 percent will make them catch up but it will hopefully stop them from being doubled. That will be a good thing for the game.

Does it dumb it down for the rest of us who do enjoy strategizing our rotations, of course it does. But so did WM.

Dps is fun, but theres way too many dps right now. I think its good that a few will be considering playing support roles if DPS "becomes" too easy (as if it already wasn't)
    • Like x 1
  14. Dolfo Dedicated Player

MMOs=No balance I already know this as I pointed out in my previous statement so what's the point to this response. Trolling? or is to reiterate that in which I had already pointed out?
    • Like x 1
  15. Mick Nugget New Player

On a side note, I really can't wait to see if this means I can finally start clipping my gadget moves with defib and pump out power to the group while still being a responsible dps by keeping a respectable modifier up:)

Same with my nature toon, cant wait to see if i can clip with my instant heals to increase survivability in DPS stance:)

Same with my effaround armory builds full of iconic powers, cant wait to see if I can run around with my clown trinket and my gag glove shboinging everything in sight just for the hell of it, and with a competitive modifier up at all times.

I like being a "serious" dps, but really, this is just a game people... I think I'm still going to have a blast just seeing what all I can get away with in a "serious" run lol...
    • Like x 2
  16. kAiSeR007 Dedicated Player

Of course there's a reason, if you are a good player and the other dude is not as good, it is normal you to double him, that's how things work. If you do something correctly you will get better results than one who doesn't, that's the normal order of things. I don't want to play a game in which it doesn't matter how good or bad you do because at the end you get the same results. Next step would be to hold hands, sing kumbaya and watch teletubbies.
    • Like x 3
  17. Mick Nugget New Player

Lol, i hear ya. But seriously, if that 15 percent boost makes a bad dps as good as a good dps, then that good dps wasn't that good to begin with.
    • Like x 8
  18. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

Bad dps will be bad and good dps still shine, this won't change that. What it will do is bring balance to powers who have to go in every other combo with a 35% modifier like earth, burst nature, and cele. Some powers like sorcery electricity ice rage fire and mental can go into every combo with a 45-60% modifier, while earth, burst nature, and cele have to do 35% combo every othet combo. How is that balanced when everyone agree that WM does the most damage? Earth nature and cele 50% clip powers have long cool downs too.

This will bring balance, and the only players who don't want it are the players who use powers that don't need it.
    • Like x 1
  19. DivineSire Dedicated Player

Of course there's a reason, if you are a good player and the other dude is not as good, it is normal you to double him, that's how things work. If you do something correctly you will get better results than one who doesn't, that's the normal order of things.

This comes off a bit like your more concerned with maintaining the revered name that is "Kaiser007" whose known as a knowledgeable top hand in dcuo than becoming "just another face in the crowd".
    • Like x 3
  20. FuryX New Player

It won't make bad dps good... weapon mastery already proved this..

-Its a poor lazy way of fixing a few "off" modifiers in a few trees.

-Its a way to nerf content without explicitly saying were nerfing the content.

-Diminishes gameplay for players that take pride in doing rotations correctly.

-Why 60% even if I did agree with it why diminish the usefulness of the classes that alrdy have a 60% at most this should be 50%.

-Take this oppertunity to make a mod to buff awesome mechanics... they fall behind wm crit currently and a straight 60% would solve nothing.

-Just seems horribly thought out... and this is coming from a earth guy who thinks striking stones needs its position moved in its tree for damage and modifier purposes. Fix the trees don't destroy the whole modifier system.. wth are you guys thinking.
    • Like x 1