Please Buff Brawling!!

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by MidnightTiger, Jul 23, 2014.

1. MidnightTiger Well-Known Player

Okay, so you'd think that after having more than 40% (Probably wrong, but a lot of legend characters use this) of legend characters use brawling, it would be buffed. You have no idea how hard it is to hold range to attack a blocking opponent when it barely even works cause it's SO SLOW. And then they lunge at you and since ranging with brawling is really slow you can't really block that lunge because you're still throwing that damn rock at them. Look at MA, it's so fast you can hold range twice and not worry about anything.
  2. EPHEMERAL titan New Player

So right....Brawling is one of those weapons that looks so good when you read it....and turns out to be so ineffectual when you actually build a toon with it.
  3. exil3d! New Player

I don't think they need to buff them. Yep they are slower than MA or some other weapons but they do better damage so why they need to make theese chars op?
    • Like x 1
  4. Gale Reaper Dedicated Player

No no no no. Do we need Atrocitus and Super Girl to be stronger than they already are? Practice more instead please.
    • Like x 1
  5. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Only thing brawling needs a buff on is its long range. If you try to clip it, it will not register due to it having a much larger delay then other BB. MA BB hits nearly instantly so it can be clipped to do some heavy damage, for brawling you have to get it go for a second but by that time you have either been lunged at or the enemy already rolled away.

There is also a issue in legends where brawling BB does not grant hard counter, it can be immediately broken out of for a free counter immunity.
    • Like x 4
  6. SkullGang Devoted Player

Ah so this explains some of my losses then. I thought I was going crazy when I saw them brake out immediately....
  7. Robogost Well-Known Player

It's supposed to be slow. Every hit does more damage but it's slower. That's the risk you take in using it. MA and Brawling are my two best weapons in legends, just gotta look for the right opportunity to get in those hold melee combos.
  8. devildevil50 New Player

This also happens to me but only in legends. I have the unluck to each time the enemy block I use brawling hold range and he doesn't get countered, instead, he stops blocking and lunges to me and I am countered.... It's so annoying ._.

Edit: I use donna in legends
    • Like x 1
  9. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

Brawling's BB is perfectly fine and very easy to land when it isn't bugged. Hopefully the bug will be fixed in GU39.

As far as damage, I do think weapon balance in general has been thrown out of wack in legends since the WM update. I'll probably create a thread to talk about this soon.
  10. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Clipping with Brawlings block breaker is slower than weapons due to not being able to be clipped if I'm remembering correctly. I've pretty much always run hand blaster characters in PvP though.
  11. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

Clipping in what sense though, just generally clipping is the same as others. If you want the damage to then yeah it takes longer, but no good player does this anyway as you lose damage on counter punishment.
  12. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Brawling should really retain its tap block breaker back. Just because their Melee is slow does not mean their range has to be..
    • Like x 1
  13. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

Why? The fact the BB can be JCd means it already has an advantage over BBs such as MA's/Rifle's as you can still counter a roll if someone has baited out a block break. On top of this not JCing any block break causes you to lose out on counter punishment (even using solar flare on HB causes you to lose out on Faust/Lex, it's only benficial on Fate). Taking longer for the damage to come out would be justified as long as the damage the ability does is scaled in comparison.
    • Like x 1
  14. EPHEMERAL titan New Player

If you really want a slow but more damage per hit weapon....forget brawl....that 2H hammer is right there...waiting for a true master to wield it...
  15. Ice Clown New Player

brawling does need a buff, but only for PVE

brawling is ok good in legend PVP, but in PVE.... no1 uses due to the low DMG combos, low AOE attacks, and it being super slow... compared to other weapons used in PVE. The only time some1 would actually use it in PVE is if its just for fun, getting CR up, or theyre trying to make the game harder on them self. After people get another weapon that is not brawling that has same CR, they will instantly switch out of brawling.

Not only that but brawling's weapon mastery combos is also the weakest DMG too, but good thing the range side is alright because of shuriken storm WM and how it executes so fast + stun, but low DMG.
    The only buff brawling needs is the weapon mastery side, thats all. You shouldnt have to click melee 3x and hold 3x to do your strongest melee weapon mastery, also that WM combo for brawling takes forever to get to since you have to keep waiting for the slow animations to get through (takes about 5-8s). When compared to something like 1hand and its strongest melee weapon mastery, only needing 2x click and 2x hold and taking like 4s to do.
  16. MidnightTiger Well-Known Player

That's what I meant^ I think meleeing in Brawling is perfectly fine, if not excellent.

This. This right here. This is Christmas. (if it happens)

This is what I'm saying. I never counter my enemy because they just stop blocking and start lunging while I'm hitting the rock.
  17. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Brawling hits super hard in PvE but chances are you cannot even land a weapon mastery due to you being juggled stunned or knockbacked.
    The problem with it is its TOO SLOW.
    That is why no decent DPS uses brawling as a WM.
    • Like x 1
  18. Ice Clown New Player

exactly why it needs a buff only for PVE, its good enough in PVP, but PVE.... god havent seen any1 used brawling in forever
  19. CrazyArtBrown Dedicated Player

That's all true. But the high damage WM combo for brawling is a melee one, as it should be really. Home Run Mastery does decent damage. The key to that is realizing you need enemies who have been knocked down to start the combo. Tank moves that knock people down are one appropriate prequel to the combo, again I think as it should be for brawling. On bosses you can get the knockdown needed to start the whole thing by blocking them carefully.

Once you're halfway through that long combo, the later moves actually start knocking people down, so it becomes self-sustaining by then. Here's a fun move to learn: get the first couple of HRM hits in on a downed opponent, and you'll knock them down again much of the time before they can execute their own serious move. Then you can turn in the middle of the combo and hit another enemy altogether. It's possible to execute the combo in three different directions with enough practice, knocking down almost a full circle of enemies around you. At which point you're set to start the whole thing over again. The pattern then is to use a knockdown power like Fire's backdraft, start the combo on a downed enemy, knock enemies down, and then repeat.

You can do the same basic thing with the 2H weapon, it just doesn't finish as well as the brawling version in my testing. A good place to practice all this is the big circle of enemies in the Knightdome Arena duo. I really should record a video showing how well this works, it's awesome to see what brawling is capable of doing to a big group now.

The buggy block breaker brawling behavior in Legends really needs to be fixed. Nothing else in brawling is really that underpowered. You just have to put work into learning how to use it, and make hard choices about technique and approach--do you want damage with a long combo, high power regen with low damage, or something in the middle. There's no easy one size fits all attacks with this weapon. It's my favorite PvE weapon in the game right now for tanking, because I can choose any of those prioritizes as the situation demands.
    • Like x 1
  20. Dakota Leon Active Player

Here's the thing. You can spam tap melee and tap range for a long time before getting counter. In MA, if you hit the enemy 3 times then you will be countered if they block, but in Brawling, then its like 6. Brawling is actually very intimidating when you are facing against someone who just taps melee and use powers because the Brawling combos hit pretty hard.